Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inkofthebroken

cream/balm recipies

inkofthebroken
19 years ago

i was just curious as to whether or not anyone has effective, but simple, recipes for herbal creams or balms that are good for healing cuts and scrapes. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)

• Herbalynn
    19 years ago

Here's one i wrote up, and we made at the local garden club last year. Very healing. I used my oils that were already "done" so the first step would be to make your infused oils. I had a pint of SJW, Comfrey and Calendula oils. We just warmed the oils in a microwave, stirred in beeswax until it was melted, added Eo, and poured in small jars.

Gardener's Hand Salve
    To make salve, we extract the beneficial properties of our herbs in oil, then add beeswax to harden the oil.

ST. JOHN'S WORT - ( Hypericum perforatum ) The salve is good for burns, wounds, bruises, sores, insect bites, fungal infections such as eczema, and itching. This is my favorite herb to use in salves! The oil of the flowering tops turns a gorgeous red color.

COMFREY ROOT - ( Symphytum officinale ) Prolific plant that is valuable in the treatment of all types of skin, bone, and muscle injuries. Comfrey helps wounds to heal quickly. Use for burns, blisters , broken bones, and inflammations.

CALENDULA - ( Calendula officinalis ) This species of marigold is often cultivated in gardens. Calendula helps to soothe inflamed tissues, reduce pain and aids in quick healing of cuts and abrasions.
    We are making a simple salve, using the oils made from the above herbs.
    I used fresh St. John's Wort, dried Comfrey root, and dried Calendula flowers for these oils. I added a few drops of Vitamin E oil to preserve freshness.
    My recipes are based on the Simplers' Method of calculating proportions. These recipes require you to use parts rather than a specific volume of each herb. This technique allows you to easily adapt the recipe. If you want a small amount of salve you can choose one tablespoon as your part, if you want a large amount of salve you might choose 1/2 - 1 cup as your part.
    The tricky part of this is determining exactly how much beeswax is needed to harden the salve. You can approximate the proportions based on the following equivalents. One pint of oil will need about 1 1/2 ounces of beeswax, or one ounce of oil will need about 1/2 teaspoon of beeswax. There are about 5 teaspoons of beeswax in an ounce. When wax has melted, dip a cold spoon in the mixture to make sure you have the right consistency.
    Add a few drops of essential oil for fragrance.
    Bottle and label
    PS- the whole salve has a pink tint from the SJW oil, so use it sparingly, or at bedtime.

Hope you like it as much as we do! I use this on rough hands, dry feet, burns, cuts, scrapes, you name it... Lynn

• inkofthebroken
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thank you so much! ive heard a lot about calendua, just was never sure the best way to use it. a lot of the recipies ive come across call for lanolin as well as beeswax and i was never sure where to find lanolin. but this just requiring beeswax is so much simpler!

• Rosa
    19 years ago

I get lanolin at the local pharmacy.

• Herbalynn
    19 years ago

Also, if you want to make lip balm out of your infused oil, just add a larger amount of beeswax.

Enjoy! Lynn

• drlubnazubair
    19 years ago

TRY MY FORMULATED ALUM OINTMENT:

4 GRAM ALUM
    4 GRAM ALMOND OIL
    1 TEA SPOON ALOE VERA GEL
    A PINCH OF CALENDULA (POWDERED)
    1 TEA SPOON BEES WAX (NOT BLACK OR DIRTY)
    100 Ml OF OLIVE OIL
    15 GRAMS OF POWDERED MYRTLE.

HEAT OILS SOFTLY, THEN ADD ALL INGREDIENTS WHEN COOL DOWN.
    MIX WELL ALOE, POUR IN BOTTLE LEAVE FOR A WEAK IN SUN.
    THEN USE ACCORDING TO CONDITION.
    REGARDS
    DR. LUBNA ZUBAIR ALAM

• greenhouseman
    17 years ago

My wife uses a healing cream made by a local woman who has survived cancer, and now makes all natural creams for cancer patients. If you want to make it yourself she has the ingredients on her website:

http://bethelbotanicals.com/skiningredients.htm

I hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Healing Cream

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional
More Discussions