Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant that smells like mint

Posted by trip1684 Pennsylvania (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 08 at 21:55

I bought a plant that i was told was mint well once it grew to a size i felt i could pick some leave i did and ate one unfortunately i was not the flavor i though it was going to be. i was wondering if some one would be able to identify what i have it does not have leaves i expected from a mint plant. Thought i might be crazy but i cant find any pictures of mint plants that have leaves like this has. I have pictures of the leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mint Leaf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant that smells like mint

trip1684, Because of the jagged edges on the leaf. the long narrow leaf and the fragrance of mint. I'd hazard a guess of costmary, which is not a mint but a member of the chrysanthemum family. The puritans kept one in their bibles as a book mark thus also known as bibleleaf. It is used as seasonings too. I'm not sure enough of your picture to positively identify it as costmary. Do you have a picture of the whole plant?

I use to grow it but lost it a couple years ago in a hard freeze.

o

Why was i the only one to answer trip1684. What would it have hurt to acknowledge the post?

o

Maybe this site can help you to identify your "mint".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentha

o

It may actually be mint. Some of the mints you buy from nurseries (especially chains like Wal Mart or Home Depot)was grown from seed and it will not come true that way. Some have practically no flavor at all and others have an off flavor. To get the taste you want find some you like the taste of and take a cutting. It roots in no time in wet soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here