Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painful Gout

Posted by lilikoi zone 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 07 at 22:12

Hi,

Would anyone have any suggestions on treating or at least alleviating some of the symptoms of gout (joint swelling, pain). At the health food center in my area; cherry extract was recommended, as well as a product called "Goutrol". I have been on these two for about a week now but do not see too much improvement. I have altered my diet substantially; abstained from meat, high fat, drank lots of water, ate lots of vegetables, and took B-complex supplements.

Thanks for your help,

J

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painful Gout

Have you tried conventional treatments with your doctor?

Here is a link that might be useful: Gout Info

o

J: be patient. I would give it at least a month. You are right about the water...you need to flush the uric acid from your system, and your diet change is great. Again, just give it some time.

o

Thank you both for the feedback and support. I'm feeling much better this week; but I can't tell whether it's from the herbals or the Colchicum (couldn't stand it anymore so I asked my doc for some...I hate to use it though).

Best,

Jae

o

Certain foods are supposed to be bad for gout. I don't remember what all of them are. I recall that sardines and lentils are on the list.

In days gone by, gout used to be called a rich man's disease, because people who had the money to eat rich foods were typically the ones who suffered from gout.

Good luck with your research. I hope you find a solution which works for you.

o

If your MD gave you Colchicine then don't mess around with other things while you're on it as they could interfere with its effectiveness at best, introduce unwanted side effects at worst. Let it do its job without having to fight off other things at the same time!

o

Most fruits and vegetables (with certain exceptions) are part of a good dietary plan for limiting problems with gout.

Cherries are fine but there's nothing that makes them superior to other fruits for gout prevention.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diet for gout

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here