Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersandthings

What type of catmint for medicinal purposes?

flowersandthings
18 years ago

Hi what type of catmint is really used for medicinal purposes? I think most think of - common - nepeta cataria.... can others be used? I for example also have nepeta faasenii.... Can you use that? I just wouldn't want to use an herb that wouldn't work / and or / isn't safe. Any info? :)

Comments (4)

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago

There is often confusion about Catnip/Catmint/Catnep whose names are sometimes used interchangeably. I've managed to sort out some of the wheat from the chaff, with the following results:

Catmint (Nepeta faassenii):

An infusion of leaf and flowering tops will relieve colds and fevers, colic in children, headaches and acts as a mild sedative. Drinking two cups of the tea per day is reputed to reduce the likelihood of developing cataracts. The tea also reduced the eruptions of measles and chicken pox sores. It can be used to induce parturition and encourage menstruation. Apply externally as a wash for wounds. A poultice of the leaves is used for hives, sore breasts of nursing mothers, and to reduce swelling. A tincture is used as a rub for rheumatic and arthritic joins and to treat haemorrhoids.

Catnip:(Nepeta cataria)

Used to treat coughs, colds, fluid retention, diarrhoea, headache, catarrh and as a mild sedative for nervous tension and nightmares. Use the tea to ease stomach cramps caused by indigestion. Has been used to prevent miscarriages and premature births. Research has shown that drinking 2 cups of catnip tea per day may significantly reduce the likelihood of developing cataracts. The leaves can be used as a poultice to ease the discomfort of mumps, and other skin problems to reduce the swelling. The leaves can be chewed to ease a toothache.

Catnip is not considered dangerous, but over-dosage can result in hallucinations. Some people may experience upset stomach when using catnip.

• Traute_Biogardener
    18 years ago

As all relaxant herbs, this herb will lose its effectiveness if used regularly. If you are using any relaxant herb or any sleeping pill, you will find that after a while they have no effect on you at all. I have a list of the different relaxant herbs which I will send you on request.

I have found, though, that the herb stays effective if only used to breathe in rather than ingested. I have collected a number of uses that way which work better than making a tea. If you want that list, let me know and I will email it to you, too.

• guru_garden
    17 years ago

hi im am interested in that list thank you.
    i also thought you would like to join herbal med org just check out the blog for now @ http://www.blogger.com/posts.g?blogID=28616445

Here is a link that might be useful: herbal med org

• guru_garden
    17 years ago

oops my email is fam.org@hotmail.com

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County
More Discussions