Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dog cysts

Posted by sheryl77 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 25, 09 at 23:20

My two Yorkies both have cysts. The vet isn't concerned to remove them. They are the type that can be moved about under the skin.

Does anyone know of a home remedy to encourage them to discharge?

Sheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dog cysts

Dogs are very different animals then humans, herbs that are not harmful to humans may be highly fatal to canines. Seek out a canine health forum and ask there, the answer may be as simple as popping them with a needle and sucking out fluid/semisolid, or applying a heatpad for 15 minutes 3X a day.

Good luck

o

If the vet isn't concerned about them and they aren't bothering the dogs, I'd leave them alone.

Dogs get a common type of cyst (so-called sebaceous cysts) just like humans do. They can remain the same size, disappear or enlarge. Sometimes they rupture and form a hard lump which might lead one to suspect a tumor, or uncommonly infection can result and need to be treated. I would not try any type of home therapy (sticking a needle in them could cause an infection, and anyway even if drained they're likely to recur). They can be surgically removed if they get to be a problem. Sebaceous cysts are caused by an ingrowth of benign epithelium under the skin surface, with dilation as the cyst grows and dead skin cell matter builds up in it.

Another possibility with smallish movable lumps under the skin in dogs is lipomas (benign fatty growths).

Neither of these problems is amenable to drug treatment, herbal or otherwise.

o

Thanks for the advice. Guess I'll leave them alone.

Sheryl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here