Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountainman_bc

How to use mint???

mountainman_bc
17 years ago

I have a lot of wild mint (about 3' tall), not sure of the botanical name.

I made some tea by steaping the leaves- and it was very 'green' tasting.

It's like the mint taste was destroyed and left with grass. Yuk.

Any way to get some use from this mint?? It is pungent when crushed. Moderately pungent as a dried herb.

Thanks!!!

Comments (10)

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

Are you SURE that's mint? I don't live in a rainy area, but I have never heard of 3' tall mint. There are a lot of wild relatives that you might want to id before you drink anymore. :o)

• mountainman_bc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've actually ID'd it in the past, it is Mentha- but can't remember the species. But positive it's mint.
    Square stem, same flower, etc. It is a rich soil, always moist.

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

Did you google it? You have some DARN tall wild mint. Anyway, if you google wild mint, you get some medicinal uses.... but it doesn't look like it's particularly flavorful... sometimes it's that way, the manmade hybrids are bred to make specific qualities better.

• lazy_gardens
    17 years ago

Make REAL SURE that it is mint and not any of the toxic relatives of the mint, like Tansy.

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

yeah... I don't know who ID'd it, but I am suspicious.... 3ft is not any mint I have ever seen... and there are a LOT of mint relatives....some not as bad as tansy.

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

I would not touch it with a barge pole without having it properly identified. Take some (as fresh as possible, and as much of a plant as possible, including roots, and preferably in flower) to your local botanical gardens, or university or agricultural college or a similar place, and pay what they ask for correct identification.

Mother Nature has a nasty trick of trying to confuse us with poisonous plants which closely resemble safe ones, and vice versa. Never, never eat any plant without being 100% sure of what it is first. And don't trust anybody but a professional botanist or horticulturist to provide the correct ID. Even then, best to get a second opinion!!

• mountainman_bc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm 100% sure it's mint. I'm a plant nerd and have ID'd it already. I've eaten it, others in the area eat it too. restaurents use it as garnish. I don't have my books handy but I think it is Mentha spicata but may be wrong. Just sounds right anyways.
    My soil is very rich(ex-horse pasture), always moist. It grows to it's maximum height, I guess, it's a perfect environment for it.
    It's wild and not domestic, so I'm wondering how to get the minty out and forget the green taste.

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

:o) I am a plant nerd too! My final opinion is, that wild mint just won't taste like hybrids, because the hybrids have been bred for stronger taste. Peppermint tea tastes to me a little green too, so I usually add some 'chocolate mint' that has a stronger flavor.

• herbalbetty
    17 years ago

My wild mint doesn't get to three feet tall, but my Kentucky Colonel spearmint does, as does my black-stemmed peppermint. The wild mint doesn't make the best tea, but smells divine when mowed. The black-stemmed peppermint is the most pungent, most minty mint I have ever grown. And there have been many. Try harvesting your wild mint on a very sunny day (never mind that early in the morning stuff, wait until the end of a hot, sunny day)and see if the flavor is more intensified. Also, mint syrup might be a way to concentrate the flavor.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    17 years ago

FWIW, wild mints are reportedly quite variable in flavour - I have some I brought home from a lakeside in WI that has a lovely orange scent.It is quite strongly flavoured.

So maybe your particular mint is just a dud?

Have you tried tea from the dried leaves yet?

Also FWIW, sun, little water & 'poor' soil usually make for more concentrated flavours in most herbs.

& fresh mint teas, IMPE, tend have more of a 'green' taste & less 'minty-ness'.How much did you use?
    The rule is something like 3X the amount of fresh vs. dried, when using culinary herbs.

HTH

P.S. IMPE, mint is 1 of easiest herbs to I.D. - there's no mistaking the aroma.

Sponsored
More Discussions