Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toadlilly

home remedy for kittens with ringworm

toadlilly
18 years ago

My son brought home two kittens. One has very choppy fur and bald spots of ringworm. Both kittens are old enough to bathe. I need something CHEAP. I know I found where some one on the internet bathed their cats in something simple and it worked for them. I can't remember though! Vinegar? Baby shampoo? Iodine? Has anyone used anything that worked? Thanks-CJ

Comments (61)

• sphinxagain
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

PleasePleasePlease don't use bleach on a kitten. Bleach is, however, a wonderful disinfectant and fungicide when diluted 1:32 (1/2 cup per gallon) for hard surfaces such as walls, counters, sinks, and cages. Alcohol (found in instant hand sanitizers) will not kill ringworm or unencapsulated viruses (such as Parvo, Panleuk, and Calicivirus.) Also, phenolic disinfectants, such as Lysol, are toxic to cats. Keep using it in the bathroom and kitchen, but not near the cats.

So what to do? Wash your hands with soap and water after handling the kittens, their bedding, dishes, toys, whatever. I have made a concoction of Tinactin, lotion, and instant hand sanitizer that I use every time I handle infected kittens. (Tinactin alone is too greasy to use often. Takes forever to soak in, and I don't have that kind of time!) It seems to be a preventative used as such. Keep all other family members and pets away from the kittens or anything the kittens have touched until the infection is gone.

Ringworm is a hardy fungus, and can live virtually forever in the environment. As far as an infection goes though, it usually won't infect unbroken skin. However, since you have kittens, you probably have lots of little scratches... I know I do! The infection itself is self-limiting, going away on its own after 6-8 weeks.

Treatment consists of fungicidal shampoo from your vet and/or a topical treatment called Conofite. There are oral meds too, we don't usually use them.

The environmental items (beds, dishes, toys, cage) the kittens are kept in should be totally disinfected with bleach after use. There's another disinfectant out called Virkon (or Trifectant) that are effective on ringworm and safe for use around animals, but probably not economically feasable for home use unless you have a steady stream of foster kittens through your home like me. So use bleach solution, let sit 10 minutes, then rinse and dry before placing back with the kittens.

In case you are wondering who I am and why I know so much about kittens, disinfection, and ringworm, I work at a humane society. I've been there for years, and foster bottle babies from spring until winter. My current batch is 5 little 2 1/2 week olds, absolutely covered in ringworm. They get bottle fed every 4 hours, treated with Conofite once a day, and bathed every other day with 2% miconazole shampoo. And I wash my hands and arms a lot, and spray my clothing and the feeding/work area in front of the cage with Virkon after each feeding. Laundry is changed daily and goes straight to the washer, and the washing machine front and buttons, and any doorknobs along the way get sprayed with Virkon as well, although the average "user" could use bleach or lysol for that.

I hope to high heavens my other cats don't get it. Good luck with your own kitties, I hope they are recovering well by now and nobody else in your home got it!

• jrevia
    18 years ago

Hi, I have enjoyed all of the helpful information I have found here. I have a little girl cat that has ringworm on her nose, close to her eye. I was going to try the organic apple cider vinegar or tea tree oil (dabbed with a q-tip) but I am concerned of it burning since it is so close to her eye. She has been to the vet and is on oral Itraconazole for a week now. She is in heat now and we are afraid that if she becomes pregnant the babies could have heart-breaking birth defects. I would be greatful for any information. Thank you.

• lucy
    18 years ago

Follow the vet's advice. Mixing herbals with prescription meds can create worse problems.

• Deedi
    18 years ago

I got a kitten 2 weeks ago, and found out yesterday she is covered in ringworm. Both my son and I have it as well. I took her to the vet and she prescribed Program, Miconazole Shampoo and some cream to put in her eyes before each shampoo. I have quarentined her to the bathroom and hallway... she is not allowed in any of the rooms. Here is my question. The hallway is wall to wall carpet and the kitchen has a throw rug. Do I need to steam clean these or is vaccuming good enough? I have a bagless vacuum. Also, what about the carpet in our rooms?? She has had the opportunity to walk all over the house, in closets and such and I am overwhelmed by it all. I can handle the washing of all the bedding and pillows, stuffed animals, clothing, etc... but am confused on how to handle the carpets. I DO NOT want to relive this nightmare and have seriously considered giving up the kitten. (I have another adult cat that is an outdoor cat and the vet gave me program to give her. She DOES NOT like my kitten and so they are never together, but I am concerned she contracted some spores from the carpet inside the house. HELP!!!

• jinjin
    18 years ago

i have just been given three year old cat with 2 bald patches at the base of her tail both with little sores in the centre, ihave tought about trying goldenseal root powder on them, but before i do has anyone any ideas or knowledge on golden seal and cats??

• pschristmas
    18 years ago

This may be too harsh for kittens, but whenever I see the first signs of ringworm on myself or my daughter I dab a little clear nail polish on the area. The lacquer forms an air-tight covering over the fungus that kills it within hours -- no air, no fungus. Yes, it stings a little, but not much, and neither of us has ever gotten more than one ring.

• bare4winds
    18 years ago

Remember that dosage for herbal and natural medications is by body weight, as it is for humans. Seventy pounds and over can usually take the amount as an adult human, half doses for 30 to 65 pounds, quarter doses for 15 to 25 pounds, and eighth doses for babies and very small animals.

First aid herbs for minor fungal infections such as athlete's foot, ringworm and nail fungus:
    Tea tree oil (use caution, it absorbs very quickly through the skin and into the blood stream);
    garlic/vinegar wash; black walnut tincture; golden seal/myrrh solution; acidolphilus.

Others herbs: black walnut leaf or hulls; blood root; calendula; golden seal root; pau-de-arco;
    thuja; white oak bark to name a few more. Always had good results with black walnut hulls for the kids.

I alway see people recommending others to: First, check with your vet to see what the vet thinks you should do about herbs. Guess what, most vet's and doctor's don't have a clue when it comes to alternative medicine.

• lucy
    18 years ago

Take the kittens to the vet and get them treated properly! You wouldn't experiment on your children, would you? Kittens are fragile, and you could end up trying something that not only would hurt them, burn them, etc., but make things worse.

• bare4winds
    18 years ago

The comment: if it means the SPCA (or local version of it), then bring them there. You can't treat something serious (and contagious to people too) with stuff off the internet.

Yes, sound, important facts! The local version, to the south of us was just on the TV New for drowning cats and dogs in the sewer plant.

Also the ideal: treat something serious with stuff off the internet, I've had two animals the vet's said to put down because they were going to die any way. And both lived long lives when they were put on herbs to cure their life threatening problem.

The dog we have now had parvo when she was about 10 weeks old, the vet was shocked that she was never treated with drugs, and lived!

ALSO, most local version, still use gas to get rid of the unwanted pets!

• bare4winds
    18 years ago

The comment: if it means the SPCA (or local version of it), then bring them there. You can't treat something serious (and contagious to people too) with stuff off the internet.
    Yes, sound, important facts! The local version, to the south of us was just on the TV New for drowning cats and dogs in the sewer plant. Also the ideal: treat something serious with stuff off the internet, I've had two animals the vet's said to put down because they were going to die any way. And both lived long lives when they were put on herbs to cure their life threatening problem. The dog we have now had parvo when she was about 10 weeks old, the vet was shocked that she was never treated with drugs, and lived!
    ALSO, most local version, still use gas to get rid of the unwanted pets!

• gardnergirl_2006
    17 years ago

I found a small spot on my leg, which I think is ringworm. My cats are always indoors (8th floor apartment with hardwood floors). Can cats with no contact to outdoors, rodents, or other infected cats somehow carry the ringworm fungus? I am very confused and concerned. How long does it take to kill the fungus in the environment once cats are treated?

• steve636
    17 years ago

You most certainly can treat things with remedies you find on the internet. Ringworm is not serious, it is annoying, but mostly harmless. If left untreated it may be a lot harder to get rid of. As mentioned above, you need to be weary of using Tea Tree Oil on cats. It can be fatal. Bathing cats to begin with is not a good idea as it will remove their natural oils. However, it can be done. DO NOT USE BLEACH ON A CAT, I don't care how much you dilute it. As Lucy stated, a cat will groom itself.

GardnerGirl- Cats and dogs are likley carriers, it can also come from soil. Although that is usually very rare. The fact is that Ringworm is very, very common. You could have contracted it from anywhere. It is a very contagious skin to skin contact disease.

A couple cans of Lysol will instantly kill the fungus in the enviroment. However, you need to make sure you and the kittens are treated first. There are a few different kinds of Ringworm that affect different areas of the human body. For example, Athletes foot is nothing more than a type of Ringworm. Scratching will obviously spread it, but it can also live underneath your nails and you can possible reinfect everything. Not to mention that if left untreated your nails will eventually thicken, discolor, become brittle, and eventually crumble off. I hope this helps.

• lucy
    17 years ago

G Girl - you have no idea if what you have IS r-worm and you should ask a dermatologist what it is instead of using some concoction from a stranger.

• steve636
    17 years ago

Or you could save yourself 30 kabillion dollars and google ring worm which will bring up pictures of cases you could compare to the spot on your leg. Any doctor will tell you that ringworm is diagnosed by visual comfirmation and it doesn't take 8 years of schooling to spot it.

I'd be weary of what you use to treat your kitten, but the above mentioned "concoctions" have been working for years. Epsom bath salt is something you can get in most places and will work quite well on you. There are a number of anti fungal sprays (liquid or powder) you can get at most stores that will work for you as well. The Wallnut, tea tree oils, etc will also work well for you, just don't put that stuff on your cat.

But if you have some money in your pocket that you just gotta spend, go to a doctor and have him tell you something you could easily figure out yourself. With any luck, you will get to spend 4 times as much on a steroid shot or pill that will get rid of it no faster than a simple cream or spray from Wal-Mart would.

• mrkendall
    17 years ago

we have now spent a small fortune treating our two kittens for ringworm (it's been 6 weeks of lime/sulfur dips a the vets office). they are, in fact, getting worse. people keep saying DONT USE BLEACH, but after 6 weeks of dips, the vet himself recommended that we put bleach water in the spots once very three days (2 tbls per quart of water). he did it himself, and directed us to keep doing it at home. So I am here to tell you all that my vet says BLEACH ON CATS IN OKAY WHEN IT IS PROPERLY DILUTED AND ADMINISTERED. Just keep it away from their eyes.

• lucy
    17 years ago

If your veterinarian has not found the answer in all this time, I wouldn't be in a hurry to douse the cats with anything he suggests.

• sctvgirl
    17 years ago

The Idea that you have to be rich to afford outragously expensive meds that rarely work in order to be a pet owner is hurtful.

Vets are out to make money, I have a cat who had the runs, took him to the vet spent $90.00 for the visit and meds that dident work. A friend who is a vet tech said to cook brown rice in chicken broth and mix it with plain yogert and guess what it worked.

I right now have a cat with sores on her neck and hind quarters and am looking for an alternitive before getting riped off again. I think in her case it is due to fleas. We just got a new kitten who brought in flees and worms. treated everyone but as I had never had fleas before I was not ready for how determined to survive was, so I have been fighting this for the last month.

Any susgestions on curing flea issues?

• lucy
    17 years ago

Whatever you do, DON'T use 'dog' flea remedies on her because they're very toxic and dangerous to cats.

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

lucy - So far, you have contributed all the "What NOT to do", but I have yet to see you post of some remedies that one CAN do. Obviously, a VET suggested BLEACH, very much against YOUR advise. DO you have any knowledge of feline health care? If so, please pipe in and OFFER some HELP.
    It would be mush appreciated.

hummingbirddaisy

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

How is ringworm treated?

In healthy shorthaired kittens and cats with small isolated lesions, the ringworm infection will often resolve without treatment in about four months. The goal with these animals is to treat any underlying conditions, provide good nutrition, and prevent the spread to other animals. Remission of the disease without treatment is also possible in longhaired cats although it might take from 1 to 4 years to resolve. Longhaired cats especially Persians and Himalayans in breeding colonies can be very difficult to treat.

In more severe cases, several different treatments are used. For isolated lesions, the area around the lesion should be thoroughly clipped down close to the skin. Care should be taken when clipping not to irritate the skin, as this may make the infection spread. Also realize that the clipped hair, clippers, and any grooming instruments that come into contact with an infected animal will harbor the spores and must be heat or chemically sterilized before being used on any other animal. The lesions can then be treated topically twice a day with a topical antifungal medication. Several well known dermatologists insist that all longhaired cats must be shaved completely if the owner wants to have any success with treating ringworm. Popular topical treatments include miconazole cream, Lotrimin cream, or 1% chlorhexidine ointment. Because of the risk of a cat becoming an asymptomatic carrier, a cat should also be shampooed or dipped with an antifungal product. A 0.5% chlorhexidine shampoo, 2% miconazole shampoo, ketoconazole shampoo, lime sulfur dip, or a 2% chlorhexidine solution that is applied every 2 to 4 days have been used effectively, however, the lime sulfur dip is the most highly recommended. Topical treatment must be continued for 6-10 weeks, or for at least 2 weeks after the lesions have resolved.

Another treatment option is to use oral antifungal agents. Historically, griseofulvin was the drug of choice. Ketoconazole, and most recently itraconazole, have been used successfully. These products all have to be given for several months, and because of their potential toxicity, must only be used under close direct veterinary supervision.

Some veterinarians have recommended using Program (the once-a-month flea pill) at a higher dose to treat ringworm in cats, but its efficacy is controversial. It is generally safe, and its use may be warranted in animals that are debilitated or have other serious medical conditions.

There is an injectable ringworm vaccine available for cats. The product is FEL-O-VAX MC-K from Fort Dodge. The vaccine has been used successfully in some ringworm eradication and control programs, however, due to the resistant nature of the ringworm fungus, there are cases where the vaccine fails to control or completely cure a ringworm infection. The recommendation by the manufacturer is to only use this product in cats over four months of age. After an initial dose is administered, a second dose is given 12-16 days later. A third dose is given 26-30 days after the second dose. This product is only effective against M. canis in cats, so for best results, a culture and treatment plan from a local veterinarian should be obtained.

Because the ringworm fungus can survive for such long periods in the environment, it is critical that an effective cleaning plan be used in all infections. The spores are very resistant to most cleaners, however, bleach diluted to 1:10 with water or chlorhexidine will kill most of the organisms. All grooming tools, bedding, and kennels should be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected. Carpets should be steam cleaned and disinfected. Heating and cooling ducts and furnaces should be professionally vacuumed and filters replaced. Housing units that contain wood or rusty metal should be re-painted.

hummingbirddaisy

• toadlilly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

update on ringworm, I bathed the kittens in and iodine/ivory mix daily (held the kitten a few minutes then rinsed). One of my fostersons 'had' to hold the kitten (with out my knowledge), and got ringworm on his neck and near his eye. I put blue star ointment on it. The school covered it with fingernail polish (she said its the only thing the state lets her use) and when we started using it a home-the stuff went right away. Thanks for all the help. CJ

• lucy
    17 years ago

HD - My 'positive' input was to tell her to see a veterinarian. Not being one myself, or even a knowledgable technician, but having worked for (human) MD's all my life and having had many cats for many years, I though it best to follow the Hippocratic oath -'First do no harm" - and suggest that folk remedies, etc. not be used unless a vet says they're totally safe for kittens. If I actually knew of a safe remedy I would have suggested it, but then my cats have never had ringworm so I'm not familiar with it, but just know not to take medical advice from strangers on the 'net when it comes to my 'babies'.

• lisaandsusan_hotmail_com
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the advise.

I how ever would like to say to the one who said that their kitty was going in to heat now.. PLEASE get your cat spayed! There are too many poor kitties and dogs who are killed at shelters, starved on the streets, etc. because people don't spay and neuter.
    900 unweaned kittens and puppies are killed just at our local shelters EACH MONTH.

There are countless programs that are free or discounted if you don't want to pay the small fee yourself to have it done. It doesn't take much research to find them. Just ask any local rescue organization, or your local shelter. Pets live longer healthier lives when they are fixed as well.

• amycurtis67_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

My adult male Gingered Tabby got out and picked up a fungus, AKA "Ringworm". I did my research online, and by studying it over and observing many photos, I determined it to be a type of Ringworm. I didn't take him to my Vet for a calculated diagnoses, because I was lacking the funds. My instincts told me it was the obvious Ringworm, mainly because it is very common in cats, especially if you live in a neighborhood that has many outdoor cats on the loose. I purchased a Lime Sulfur Dip online, followed the instructions, dipped him once every 5 days for two weeks, and it cured him. Within a week after the second dip, he was growing his hair back. I purchased the Lime Sulfur Dip made by Vet Solutions from Medi-Vet.com

P.S. I will warn you that the Lime Sulfur Dip is very smelly, I highly recommend dipping outside. Use a small wash tub, fill it with about 1/4 full with lukewarm water. Make sure you have your cat leashed securely so that he doesn't slip out of his collar and run away by this semi traumatic experience. Before you even start dipping, you will need to be prepared, by having the dip already mixed and ready to pour, as well as having a clean isolated area for your cat to dry afterward. I used my garage, making sure my cat had a litter pan and a box with some clean old towels to sleep in, so that I could throw them away after being used for this purpose. I mixed the dip in a one gallon plastic pitcher. Wearing gloves and holding my cat firmly but gently by the collar, I poured the dip directly over the patches of Ringworm, then when the dip was all gone, I dipped the pitcher in the tub of "Dip" bath water...pouring more of the "Dip" bath water from head to tail on the cat, and dipping for about five minutes or so. Do not rinse or towel dry your cat after the dip, just allow your cat to air dry in the clean designated area. I had a cone shaped collar ready to slip on my cat after the dip, so that he would not lick himself. I made the collar by cutting around the top of a clean plastic gallon milk jug, making sure it would fit snug but comfortable, slipping it over my cat's head. Make sure he can't slip out of it, mainly make cure it won't cut into the neck either, it should fit something like a slightly loose collar. Keep everything you used to dip, so that you can do the treatment again in about 5 to 7 days. I noticed healing within a week after the first Dip, but made sure I gave a second dip 5 days later, as to make secure of a cure. Your cat's hair will have a yellow tinge for a week or two after all is said and done, but that's better than Ringworm.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amy

• lucy
    15 years ago

Just remember that ANYthing that gets on your cat's fur and is not immediately washed off will be licked off, and so will be taken internally. You need to know for SURE what's in stuff you put on kitties (and puppies) and be very sure the vet says it's ok to be licked off.

• senns143_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

Lucy- I'm very curious why you're posting comments here if you've never had a cat with ringworm? Obviously you don't know how traumatic it could be for a owner. I have 2 cats infected. Not fun. I suggest you try it sometime...then come back and post.

My Vet has recommended the Lime Sulfur Dip, it's working. Yes, it's safe.

• xoxmegs_gmail_com
    13 years ago

My boyfriend recently brought home a kitten his sister had found. The baby was losing her fur and had scabs and red sores all over her. My immediate assumption was mange or 'scabbies.' Afriad for my other cat and the new baby we brought her the very next day to the vet. He checked her for the more common strand of ringworm using the blacklight and found nothing. He did some skin scrapings and found nothing abnormal but did a culture and should hopefully have the results by next week. Of course when we got her in our possesion we were all over her. Its been a good solid 4 days since we brought her home and me and my boyfriend and my other cat have shown no signs of ringworm itching or irratation. After I found out it could be ringworm I went on a cleaning frenzy as we had her on the bed and on our clothes and all over. I don't know much about ringworm but I do know its very contageous. Could we have caught it early enough that it didn't have enough time to spread? I don't know how long it takes to contract it but I would think pretty quickly. We do make sure to properly sanitize after handling her. As for my other cat she couldn't be bothered and doesn't really go near her. Should I still be worried? The vet gave us a simple shampoo I've seen before (I'm an animal groomer). Could that have been enough to help her get rid of the itchy pests? Her hair is already starting to grow back and its only been 4 days I think that's amazing. The vet bill was expensive but we would do anything for our pets to make them as comfortable as possible. Home remedies do 9 times out of 10 but I wouldn't do anything without consulting someone who knows what they're talking about. (Like a vet)

• xoxmegs
    13 years ago

Culture results came back. The kitten in fact has ringworm. We have been treating it for the past week with basic shampoo and some cream I bought from best pets rx. Dr. Gave us oral and a leave on lotion for her. How long til she's not contagious? I just feel so bad that she's quarunteend all alone. No one has shown signs of infection. Hopefully none of us have It or will get it. We clean daily n lysol everything. Is that good enough?

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

haven't read all the replies, so I'm sorry if this is a duplicate;

ringworm is a fungus that has to have oxygen;
    deprive it of oxygen & it dies.

You can smother it with Vaseline or olive oil (as long as the afflicted pet or person doesn't lick it off).

• scarletdaisies
    13 years ago

Also the mention of using clear nail polish to cover it suggested by a school nurse shows the starve of oxygen thing might be the best tactic.

I've heard of some gross herbal cures like putting urine on the ringworm. I had one when I was a teenager that stayed for about a year. I wasn't careful with mine, never caught it anywhere else, so I was lucky. It just wouldn't go away, didn't spread, so I thought it was harmless. I used over the counter ringworm medications, you might try another type of rash medicine.

I got a heart shaped tenia on my neck, all rashes are a tenia is what she said, the nurse at our health department gave yeast infection cream for it, it went away in a few days to a week. Mind you it's not ringworm, but a cheap 5 dollar cream that shouldn't be poisonous due to the area it was created for, not to say it is safe for animals, but it's a thought.

• vanilla_shadowz_com
    13 years ago

Do NOT use tea tree oil even diluted on cats! It is metabolized very differently in cats than in humans and even dogs and can be very toxic to their liver.

Also, if you use apple cider vinegar, it should be diluted as much as 16 to 1 (16 parts water to 1 part vinegar). The vinegar is an acid and can be very irritating to sores.

Last, do not ever put full strength bleach on skin, human or kitten. Even though someone pointed out that it is used in pools and water, it is at VERY dilute amount. Straight bleach can burn even human skin and definitely should not be used on a young kitten that way!

• teresa_bryant_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I run a rescue with aprox 20 cats in my house and currently treat with good old fashion organic cold pressed extra virgin olive oil . Safe for and nutritious for skin and the cats love to like it and good for their insides as well. Olive oil has antifungal properties and the only side effect is my cats look a little greasy for a few weeks. Since is smells good and tastes good my kitties sit just fine while I put it on.

• dolcicaramella_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

My cats suffered from Ring worms, not only this every new born should get it , dont know why probaly because they are under the bed, no sun and humid.
    I have used iodine , dettol , then settled on human fungus creams at any drug store. as for baby kittens well, did nit take chances and got a medication from the vet it is oral , to be given to the mother , through her milk babies will get it... when I use the human fungus cream on the babies .. I keep themother busy for some time, I clean/remove/wipe the cream off the baby.. so it would be safe if the mother licked her baby.

• RubyandDutchess
    12 years ago

I got 2 very sweet orphaned kittens at 3 weeks old. At about 6 weeks old they started to lose abit of hair and their coat became patchy. My vet advised that they should have been put down as they were orphans and they had ringworm. I was very upst as i had grown ver attached to my little girls, so he gave me the weekend to decide what i wanted to do. Over that weekend I did alot of googleing and got onto a lady that breeds cats. She advised me to first try bathing them in warm water and then to get a antifungal cream used on humans. She assured me that it was safe and she had successfully tried this before and it had worked. I used the cream on them and continued to rinse them with warm water to get rid of the dead hair.
    They are now 9 weeks old and are both growing back healthy coats. I took them to the vet this week and he said that they are fighting fit. He also said that it is not likely to come back beacuse it was treated early.
    I do not suggest that people go against vets advice but I just thought that I should post this as it has worked for me and thought it might be of use for someone else if your cat or kitten has minor ringworm.
    The cream that i used was a generic brand of broard spectrum antifungal cream! it cost me $12.95 from the chemist.

• pjanedapain
    10 years ago

I have a 2 year old cat that started losing his hair & over grooming himself & thinking it was ringworm I simply bathed him in warm water with a home made spray consisting of tea tree oil, aloevera cream & water shaken up well & washed him with this weekly as well as made sure his diet was good & he was happy, it cleared up & he smelt lovely & didn't seem to mind. We also got another cat that upset our cat a bit & when he started stressing & peeing blood a little I simply added a raw egg to his meal as well as some fish oil & kept him happy by cuddles & play to reassure him & the blood disappeared not to mention they are best mates now too :) however I do flea & worm them regularly by the chemical products you get from vets.

• pjanedapain
    10 years ago

My cat likes baths by the way so it wasn't traumatic for him. Just wanted to add that I am in the same way of thinking that you don't need to go to the vet every time something is wrong especially if you can't afford it (the vet costs more than taking myself or my son to the docs). But I love my animals very much & do all I can to keep them happy & healthy but inexpensively if I can.

I have also used apple cider viniger diluted with water in my cats ears to get rid of infection & it works well without any harm to my cat just a bit of discomfort but passess quickly, the smell annoys him more than anything :)

• BangalFan
    10 years ago

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT use Tee Tree Oil on a kitten. I have seen a lot of people here discussing the possibility of using this on kittens. Please don't. It is certainly toxic and will kill it.

I recently searched the internet for home remedies to cure ringworm on my kitten and found that Tee Tree Oil will do the job. Unfortunately, nobody said not to use it on kittens. I spread it liberally on his lesions for three days and then he started quivering and walking funny. Then, he couldn't walk and started falling over.

I normally would have waited but my little son shut a door on him and I thought he had a broken spine, because of his falling over. I rushed him to the vet and for two days the kitten was barely surviving. They did X-rays, ultrasounds - everything, & finally decided that it must be poisoning. The Vet. put him on an I.V. with a steroid to protect him and flush the toxins out.

Long story short, he survived but it was the Tee Tree Oil that nearly ended his short life.

PLEASSSSSEEEE SPREAD the word - Tee Tree Oil is toxic to cats.

• pjanedapain
    10 years ago

Sorry that happened to your kitten. My cat is 3yrs old not a kitten & i didn't use the tea tree oil straight but only used a tiny bit mixed with water & an aloevera cream he has never had any negative side effects to this plus I only used it couple times & it did the trick. I don't condone poisoning animals.

• HerbDoctor
    10 years ago

Bangalfan:

Sorry about your experience with tea tree oil. However, we can learn something from that one mistake. Two things stand out: 1.The liberal use of the oil overdosed the kitten. 2.It should never be used straight on such a delicate little animal nor on small children.

Your experience doesn't mean that tea tree oil is toxic. It's just that an unfortunate mistake was made. Another example: Honey can be good for you. But if you eat too much of it, it'll make you vomit. Little is good. Too much is bad.

I put essential oils into another oil as a carrier. Perhaps 10-20% essential oil to 80-90% carrier. That would've prevented any side effects that you kitty experienced.

HerbDoctor

• Marylouise73
    10 years ago

I have an 8 wk old kitten that the vet has determined has ringworm. She is on a medicated. bath every 5 days & I am applying Keterconozole 2percent cream twice a day. My concern is if the cream will harm her if she licks it after it is applied. I usually try to distract her for a length of time so the cream can penetrate.

• pjanedapain
    10 years ago

If not sure just put a cone round it's head so it can't lick it self. I use a plastic bowl (cone like just rounder) & cut bottom out fit perfectly round my cats head but he figured out he could still lick certain parts after a while so had to monitor him still.

• Tornado.Alley.AZ
    10 years ago

I went through a couple months of trying to cure my kitten and 10 year old cat with topical home remedies (over the counter anti-fungal creme, anti-fungal shampoo, ACV, neem oil, and coconut oil) and NOTHING WORKED. I finally had to get a prescription from the vet to treat both of them. Within a week they both began to look much better.

I do think the average cat's immune system will kick ringworm within a few months- but that entire time you've got to be cleaning like crazy or all other mammals in your house will get it, too.

This post was edited by Tornado.Alley.AZ on Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 16:56

• Natures_Nature
    10 years ago

Look up herbs for removing parasites. Black walnut hull and wormwood are two common herbs used as a vermifuge. Also, look into feeding your cats a more species appropriate diet, this is the main key for health. Best of luck!

• Almalee
    9 years ago

I have found good success in treating ringworm and breaking the flea cycle with a product called Program oral
    suspension. It can stil be found on Amazon. I mix one
    with baby food meat and let the cat eat it and this takes
    care of the ringworm completely. Then use Lysol spray
    for the environment.

• Devona
    9 years ago

Food grade aloe, although slowly working has kept it managble for me until I am able to find someone to help dip them all. was hoping it could be the cure because I can treat their faces with it and it doesn't burn and they love the taste. Aloe is naturally antifungal. For myself I found clear nail polish worked better than anything a doctor could prescribe.

• greaz
    9 years ago

I have come up with a wonderful cure for cats with ringworm (and I'm sure it's safe for kitties too).

First, let me give you a back story or scroll down to read what I have been doing to get rid of ringworm on my cat.

I noticed the first lesion about 3 weeks ago. I was unaware it was ringworm at the time. It looked similar to what could have been a bite from another animal. She is an indoor cat BUT we do have a pesky little mouse so that was just my first thought.

About a week later she had another lesion on her back and I noticed her first lesion was expanding and very red. The new lesion was red and shiny. That's when I did my research and figured out it was most likely ringworm. I kind of wanted to just ignore the whole situation because it made me uncomfortable. I went into denial and told myself it would just go away.

I was wrong. I ended up finding a small spot on my stomach a few days later. This really put me in a panic and that's when I decided I had to treat this WITHOUT going to the vet. Vets can be very beneficial for many things, but not for ringworm . Ringworm is completely treatable and is not as serious as it may sound. It does not harm your cat or make your cat sick. It is more of just a pain in the ass. Your vet will most likely charge you over 200 for a diagnosis and "testing", and another 200 for medication and follow-ups. Who even knows, but that vet bill will come out to be over $400 for something that is completely treatable at home.

So as of today, my cat is healing. The lesions are turning into a pale grey, the color of her fur, which I am assuming is the natural color of her skin. The lesions are not spreading or growing.

We sprayed the house down with bleach and washed our cloths in apple cider vinegar and/or aloe vera. (Both can be found at walmart...ACV= $2. Aloe=$8. )

CURE RINGWORM ON YOUR KITTY FOR LESS THAN $10 !!!

CLEAN THE &*#T OUT OF YOUR HOUSE. SERIOUSLY.....EVERYTHING. Spray furniture with apple cider vinegar mixed with aloe vera. Doesn't smell and it won't ruin anything.

1. apply aloe vera to kittys lesions 5-6 times a day. Hold kitty or distract them before they can start licking. Let it soak in for 1-2 minutes before you let them start licking.

2. Give them a bath at some point. Mix over the counter cat shampoo with aloe vera. Use lots and lots of aloe vera, and just a little shampoo.

3. Spray a mixture of aloe vera/apple cider vinegar/water on your cats lesions and under their nails. Spray it in their ears...on their butt...everywhere...6-10 times a day. And use this spray on your furniture and clothing. Use it everywhere.

Hope that helps. I didn't see results for about a week with my cat. She is doing a lot better but we still don't let her in our room or on the bed. And we still are cleaning and bleaching consistantly.

Oh yeah and for my ringworm..... had to put bleach on it. I don't recommend this but nothing else worked. It was my last resort but it does work. Also, I have been washing my hair and body in aloe vera. All seems to be helping. My boyfriend has not gotten a single lesion and mine has not spread anywhere else.

make sure you still treat your kittys ringworm even after weeks that it has completely healed. I will be doing the same routine to my cat for about 2 months after her ringworm goes away. I'll do baths every 2 weeks.

• Geneva McCoy
    9 years ago

Treat it yourself at home. Taking the cat for check up is fine, but vets really do rip you off. Lamasil antifungal creams work and over the counter antifungal creams work as well. Do a little research. Also start bathing her/him with head and shoulders it will help with the spread. Google it. Heres a link in the meanwhile http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/ringworm-of-the-skin-medications

• Robin Ackerman
    6 years ago

I recently got a kitten a couple weeks ago, long story short i also have a 7month old baby she and i both now have ringworm i know it had to have come from the kitten but i dont see on her (the cat) where her infection is shes got alot of long hair and im so not trying to do the vet thing. Im also trying to hide it from my bf as he'll most likely put the kitten outside and its freezing here. How can i nonchalantly. And the cheepest fix this issue.

• HU-35650805
    5 years ago

Good god some of you people are idiots. Do NOT use bleach on a kitten! IDK why you would even say that. Just go to walmart and get a $5 ringworm cream. Ringworm is NOT serious so dont go to the vet unless you want to waste money.

• pjanedapain
    5 years ago

Great comment HU-35650805. Here in NZ we just buy an anti-fungal cream specifically to get rid of ring worm in humans, but to get rid of ring worm in cats most common way is to use a combination of topical therapy (application of creams, ointments or shampoos) and systemic oral therapy (administration of anti-fungal drugs by mouth). In order for treatment to be successful, all environmental contamination must be eliminated also or thoroughly washed. Apple Cider Vinegar has also proven to be very effective, used diluted in water & wash your cats in it or simply drop a few drops onto infected area.

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz
More Discussions