Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucy_gw

To Apollog, Patriot S. & Oaklief

lucy
15 years ago

I realize it's not about herbs, and did arise out of 'Big Pharma", but I'm very curious to know what you think of the Genome Project... is it inherently evil because of it's research origins?

Comments (14)

• apollog
    15 years ago

Why would I think it is inherently evil? I have no problems with trying to understand genetics.

Of course, how that information is used might not be good - for instance, people might be permanently discriminated against based on a genetic test that is done when when they are an infant. Ever see the movie GATTACA? Science fiction, to be sure, but it raises valid questions.

• lucy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I totally agree with you (aaargh!) about the testing stuff - just glad I've just past the time anyone would care workwise though who knows what insce. co's could do with it in future!

• apollog
    15 years ago

I'm not an expert on the HGP, but if I recall correctly, the results are in the public domain. This lets anyone use the database. According to wikipedia, President Clinton established that the gene sequences discovered with public money could not be patented.

There is also an interesting project in Iceland that combines generations of health records and genealogy with molecular techniques - they've already identified a gene that can cause restless leg syndrome.

I think some of the hype regarding genomics is just that - the idea that we will be able to scan a person's DNA and determine exactly which medicine they should take is a long way off. Maybe someday. But I am not opposed to basic research that is likely to lead to valuable discoveries.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

There was a race between a publicly funded genome and a private one FYI.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Why Should i think genitics is inherintly evil either. It has the possibility of doing great good as well as bad. I'm fascinated with the history and links to past generations it is making known. For instance every person on earth caries genes from Africans,Asians,middle east,europeans. We're all related in a distant way. They've also traced one asian mans genitic make up across the world and to relatives in a North American native american tribe. connecting history could'nt be beat for interest.

As for medical usage? I have an open mind.

• lucy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's some Wikipedia info on Lap Chee Tsui who I worked with in Toronto (great guy!) in the late 80's. What an exciting place to be then!
    "From 1981 to 2002, Tsui continued his research and teaching in the Hospital for Sick Children and the University of Toronto alternatively. Prior to his appointment as the Vice-Chancellor, he was Geneticist-in-Chief and Head of the Genetics and Genomic Biology Program of the Research Institute at the Hospital for Sick Children and co-founder (with Dr. Steve Scherer) of The Centre for Applied Genomics. He was also the holder of the H.E. Sellers Chair in Cystic Fibrosis and University Professor at the University of Toronto. He was the President of Human Genome Organisation (HUGO), the international organization of scientists involved in the Human Genome Project, from 2000 to 2002.
    He has also served on the editorial boards for 20 international peer-reviewed scientific journals, numerous scientific review panels, and many national and international advisory committees, including the Medical Research Council of Canada, Canadian Genome Research Task Force Committee (Chair), Scientific Steering Committee of the National Institute of Biological Science, Scientific Advisory Committee of the China National Center for Biotechnology Development and Human Genome Organization. He is currently member of the Judicial Officers Recommendation Commission, Council for Sustainable Development and Executive Committee, and Executive Committee of the Commission on Strategic Development of the Hong Kong SAR Government.
    He was appointed Vice-Chancellor of the University of Hong Kong in May 2002 and assumed office as the fourteenth Vice-Chancellor of the university with effect from September 1, 2002."

• patriotsniper
    15 years ago

The project from a scientific standpoint had merit. In the hands of scientists/researchers searching for answers ONLY the project is good.

However, the project WILL be (not could be) used for self serving elite and those wishing total control. The history of government and control dictates NO other alternative.

They now have biologicals that can eliminate a race of people (pretty much) should they choose to use them. How do you think they were able to differ between the races, and create bios that only act upon certain genes?

Another point you should think about. The people pay for these projects and should benefit from their development. Yet, the government turns them over to the "private sector" so that we can be charged yet a second time for the same development. This is standard practice that seems to escape most people.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

If the project that we paid for was enough to produce a product that we might pay for why wouldn't the product be available by now? The corporations out for profit are out to scoop each other aren't they?

• patriotsniper
    15 years ago

Many in big government have interests in THOSE CORPORATIONS (the private sector) that get the contracts. Normally it would be a conflict of interest but SHEEPLE don't connect the dots (or care too).

When government is so eager to give the contract to private corporations it's because they are really just giving it back to themselves.

Evil Economics 101.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Contracts for what?

The Human genome project info is available to everyone.

• patriotsniper
    15 years ago

Do some research on the internet and you'll learn the goals/objectives of this project.

Here is one site to ponder:

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/home.shtml

It will require a certain amount of research, I don't have the time to find all the data again (and I didn't save it unfortunately), so if you really want to know keep searching the net.

Turning government (paid for by the people) projects over to "the private sector" for development is not a new concept.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

I don't see where they are contracting anything out. The technology developed is widely available, I've used some of it, its available to the public and private sector. The data is available too, no contracting it out to dark entities. Sure someone bent on human domination could get it, but so could someone who wants to make necklaces with gene sequences on them, or people who want to use it to try and devine the future.

And its not like they have hid the connection either, right up front on the page they made they say that they work with the private sector. You seem to labor under the delusion that no public money should be rendered in such a way as to help private individuals. Lets say you had a small shop and a freeway was built into your town, would you cry bloody murder because you are disproportionately benefited by the public funds?

Govt paying for technology then passing it on it not new, in fact it is as old as technology itself. The Ancient Chinese feudal lords would pay craftsmen to make various things and the craftsmen would be free to take the methods that they developed with them, the alternative was killing them or disabling them, which I would argue is the biggest way to go wrong.

If you want you can get this information with relatively little effort, hell they may have it in one great big TXT file which they can send you on a DVD.

• patriotsniper
    15 years ago

Information passed to the private sector for further development (FREELY PASSED ON AFTER THE TAX PAYERS PAID FOR THAT INFORMATION) to be used for corporate personal gain is corruption at the core.

This data is not the formula for "coca cola" or "super glue" it is the formula for mankind. WAKE UP.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

The Use of roads accessible to the private sector for economic gain (FREELY ACCESSIBLE AFTER THE TAX PAYERS PAID FOR THAT PAVEMENT) to be used for corporate and personal gain is not corruption at the core.

People confederate into states in order to get things done that they cannot otherwise. The fact that its the formula for man kind lets us find all sorts of medical things out so that we can make medicine more effective and less costly (Which will cost more, one shot that cures you and all of your offspring of something like heart disease, or decades of treatment for each individual).

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions