Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sevin dust on catnip

Posted by amykaywat 5-6 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 31, 06 at 7:16

I dusted my garden with sevin dust this past Monday and today harvested my catnip from the garden. The sevin dust wasn't put directly on the catnip, but of course it's dust, which flies, and I did apply it to the ground beneath the plants.

Anybody know what I can do to ensure the catnip will be safe for my cats? I've rinsed it off, but I'm still nervous.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sevin dust on catnip

you could wash it with soapy water. You know, there ARE organic solutions to pests that you can eat. I don't use inorganic pesticides and am just fine.

o

I considered soapy water but didn't know if soap will actually bond with sevin dust.

I tried organic gardening for the first several months but eventually decided it isn't for me. This was actually my first application, which is why I'm nervous about it.

o

Well, with sevin, you will kill the good bugs with the bad and eventually will have yourself a BIG bug problem... believe it or not, there's a balance and without predators, the bad bugs take over.
I DID make my own pesticide out of soapy water, mouthwash and olive oil... killed a spidermite infestation on a tropical plant dead. But that's the only bug problem I've had in several years.
Usually, when you take the easy way out, in the end you pay.... as with a bigger infestation and then more pesticides.... but I am probably preaching to someone who knows.... I just can't help myself. :o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here