Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
?? about Valerian...

Posted by Leonessa Z5 ME (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 04 at 10:08

I have just harvested a 2 year old valerian root. I dried the fiberous roots seperate from the riozome due to conflicting information from my books. I dried it in a warm oven (120 F) all day yesterday. My question is how do I store it, and how do I use it? Thanks...
Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ?? about Valerian...

Dig up roots in the autumn of the second year of growth. It has a pungent scent which increases as it dries. Store in an airtight container for at least 1 year before becoming safe to use, and is best after 4 years.

30g root per 600ml water as infusion (tea). Take up to 3 cups per day.

The root added to a bath will relieve tension, and as a decoction it can be used as a facial wash for acne or skin rashes. A decoction of the root is reputed to enhance psychic ability when taken internally.

Warning: Unpleasant side-effects (headaches, muscular spasms, and palpitations) can occur with long-term use or with excessive doses. In extreme cases, it has been known to cause coma or even death. Poisoning may result if large amount of the tea are taken for more than 2 to 3 weeks. Do not boil the root. Consuming large amounts of valerian may cause headache, giddiness, blurred vision, restlessness, nausea. Seek expert advice before using, and use ONLY under expert supervision.

o
RE: ?? about Valerian...

Only use valerian root internally in an emergency when you cannot sleep. If you use it regularly, it will completely lose its effectiveness. This is true for any relaxant herb just as it is for sleeping pills. People who get introduced to the taste of valerian tend to enjoy it like candy. I am one of those. I had to stop taking any form of valerian for several years before it again became effective. I intend to keep it that way by taking it once a month at the most when I really can't sleep any other way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here