Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eva_madison

Herbs Rich In Iron??

eva_madison
17 years ago

I have an Iron defincy, where my body only processes a small amout of the iron that is offered to it, and I have been told to increase the iron in my diet, and I'm also a vegaterian. I have heard there are a number of herb which are really rich in iron and was wondering if anyone knew what they were?

Eva

Comments (10)

• herbalbetty
    17 years ago

Eva,

Some herbs that are rich in iron include chickweed, which has 8.4 mg per ounce and catnip, which as 4.6 mg per ounce and burdock root, which has 4.9 mg per ounce. You can eat chickweed fresh from your garden - just toss it into salads. Or, you can make a tea from it. Put one ounce into a jar and add 1 quart of hot water. Steep and drink the infusion during the day. You can do the same with catnip, just be aware it may make you a little relaxed! Burdock root might have a laxative effect on you at that amount. You can also cook in a cast iron fry pan - bits of the iron leeches into the food you make. Saute, stir fry or braise your veggies in the cast iron. For more information on which herbs supply which minerals, google Michael Moore and his Southwest School of Botanic Medicine. There is a treasure trove of info on his site!

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

Do you have purslane in your area? It's kinda slimy, at least the wild varieties, but it is SO good for you... high in Omega-3 fatty acids and has a good amount of iron, as do raisins by the way.

Here is a link that might be useful: purslane nutrition

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

Herbs containing iron (you'll have to look each one up to find out if they are RICH in iron!). And you'll have to check each one for its medicinal actions, too!

Alfalfa, Almonds, Angelica, Anise, Apple, Apricot, Avocado, Banana, Basil, Beans, Beetroot, Bilberry, Blackberry, Black Cohosh, Blue Cohosh, Broccoli, Burdock, Capsicum, Carrot, Catnip, Cayenne, Celery, Chamomile, Chervil, Chickweed, Chicory, Comfrey, Cucumber, Dandelion, Dates, Dulse, Echinacea, Eyebright, Fennel, Fenugreek, Ginger, Ginseng, Goldenseal, Horehound, Horseradish, Horsetail, Kelp, Kidney beans, Lemongrass, Lentils, Lettuce, Lima beans, Liquorice, Mango, Marshmallow, Milk Thistle, Mullein, Mustard, Nettle, Nuts, Oats, Paprika, Parsley, Passionfruit, Peach, Pear, Peas, Peppermint, Pineapple, Plantain, Pokeweed, Potato, Prunes, Pumpkin seeds, Radish, Raisins, Raspberry, Red Clover, Rhubarb, Rice, Rosehip, Rosemary, Sarsaparilla, Scullcap, Sesame seeds, Sheep Sorrel, ShepherdÂs Purse, Slippery Elm, Soya beans, Spinach, Strawberry, Thyme, Tomato, Uva Ursi, Watercress, Whole grains, Yarrow, Yellow Dock, Yerba Mate, Zucchini

Other sources: Liver, beef, lamb, poultry, clams, oysters, mussels. fish. Eggs. Blackstrap molasses. BrewerÂs yeast. Cooking acidic foods such as tomatoes in cast-iron pots.

• eva_madison
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thankx you all for the info I'll diffently check out that site herbalbetty, and I've never heard of purslane but I will look for it. Thankx daisy for the extensivfe list.. I have some looking up to do:P
    Eva

• Thokozile Xaba
    7 years ago

Ashwargandha is high in iron 320mcg/g. Aloe Vera is high in iron magnesium and manganese, You can also try Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses which is also high in iron. I always keep some around the house. Yellowdock, Dandelion and Nettle are also iron-rich herbs.

• Brock Lee
    7 years ago

I would focus on incorporating beets spinach and other dark leafy greens. They are high in Iron along with other minerals you may be lacking. Beet greens and arugula would have to be my favorite!

• Diane Wilson
    7 years ago

I usually use sorrel, both raw and in a soup - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorrel

But also apples and beetroot.

• budding_botany
    7 years ago

Dandelion! Dandelion Dandelion! It grows everywhere, you can pick it up outside (Safely in an area that hasn't recently been treated with herbicides). It's very high in iron and while it is bitter it's amazing for detoxing the liver. Many more natural grocery stores sell the cultivated dandelion greens and you can add it to salads, put it smoothies, or pretty much anything you'd do with lettuce. It's my go-to when I'm feeling anemic. Also kale, any dark greens are going to be higher in iron. You could also get a hold of some Floradix. Floradix is an herbal-based supplemental iron product that actually tastes quite nice (it's a liquid), I take it daily and it makes me feel awesome, Floradix Herbal Liquid Iron. They sell it at Vitamin Shoppe, and other vitamin-stores and they have a vegan and vegetarian option. There's also a product called Mega Food which a wholefood based supplement company out of New Hampshire that makes a fantastic product called "Blood Builder" that works wonders for people with low iron, Megafood Blood Builder. Hope this helps!

• Fire Ancient
    4 years ago

nettle definitely has alot of iron and other minerals ^^