Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herbs Rich In Iron??

Posted by eva_madison 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 10, 06 at 21:15

I have an Iron defincy, where my body only processes a small amout of the iron that is offered to it, and I have been told to increase the iron in my diet, and I'm also a vegaterian. I have heard there are a number of herb which are really rich in iron and was wondering if anyone knew what they were?
Eva

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herbs Rich In Iron??

Eva,

Some herbs that are rich in iron include chickweed, which has 8.4 mg per ounce and catnip, which as 4.6 mg per ounce and burdock root, which has 4.9 mg per ounce. You can eat chickweed fresh from your garden - just toss it into salads. Or, you can make a tea from it. Put one ounce into a jar and add 1 quart of hot water. Steep and drink the infusion during the day. You can do the same with catnip, just be aware it may make you a little relaxed! Burdock root might have a laxative effect on you at that amount. You can also cook in a cast iron fry pan - bits of the iron leeches into the food you make. Saute, stir fry or braise your veggies in the cast iron. For more information on which herbs supply which minerals, google Michael Moore and his Southwest School of Botanic Medicine. There is a treasure trove of info on his site!

o

Do you have purslane in your area? It's kinda slimy, at least the wild varieties, but it is SO good for you... high in Omega-3 fatty acids and has a good amount of iron, as do raisins by the way.

Here is a link that might be useful: purslane nutrition

o

Herbs containing iron (you'll have to look each one up to find out if they are RICH in iron!). And you'll have to check each one for its medicinal actions, too!

Alfalfa, Almonds, Angelica, Anise, Apple, Apricot, Avocado, Banana, Basil, Beans, Beetroot, Bilberry, Blackberry, Black Cohosh, Blue Cohosh, Broccoli, Burdock, Capsicum, Carrot, Catnip, Cayenne, Celery, Chamomile, Chervil, Chickweed, Chicory, Comfrey, Cucumber, Dandelion, Dates, Dulse, Echinacea, Eyebright, Fennel, Fenugreek, Ginger, Ginseng, Goldenseal, Horehound, Horseradish, Horsetail, Kelp, Kidney beans, Lemongrass, Lentils, Lettuce, Lima beans, Liquorice, Mango, Marshmallow, Milk Thistle, Mullein, Mustard, Nettle, Nuts, Oats, Paprika, Parsley, Passionfruit, Peach, Pear, Peas, Peppermint, Pineapple, Plantain, Pokeweed, Potato, Prunes, Pumpkin seeds, Radish, Raisins, Raspberry, Red Clover, Rhubarb, Rice, Rosehip, Rosemary, Sarsaparilla, Scullcap, Sesame seeds, Sheep Sorrel, Shepherds Purse, Slippery Elm, Soya beans, Spinach, Strawberry, Thyme, Tomato, Uva Ursi, Watercress, Whole grains, Yarrow, Yellow Dock, Yerba Mate, Zucchini

Other sources: Liver, beef, lamb, poultry, clams, oysters, mussels. fish. Eggs. Blackstrap molasses. Brewers yeast. Cooking acidic foods such as tomatoes in cast-iron pots.

o

Thankx you all for the info I'll diffently check out that site herbalbetty, and I've never heard of purslane but I will look for it. Thankx daisy for the extensivfe list.. I have some looking up to do:P
Eva

o

Vitamin C will help you absorb more iron from the food you eat. I have the opposite problem and am in toxic iron overload from absorbing and storing too much iron which is now deposited in my joints and organs. Caffein also helps to BLOCK iron absorbion which is good for me, but you might want to avoid it with meals. How low are your iron levels? If you have very low iron the doctor might give you shots or have you take ferrous sulfate or might put you on birth control pills to reduce or eliminate your mestrual cycles so that you don't have that blood loss. Aside from just iron, your doctor will probably want to do a ferritin panel and a TIBC (total iron binding capacity) test and check your iron saturation rate in your bloodstream. Iron is nothing to mess with and can QUICKLY become toxic. Very low or high iron can be a result of other problems and a doctor really needs to be involved in treatment.

-Amy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here