Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Impatiens for poison ivy

Posted by cacye Denver,CO (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 10, 10 at 21:52

Has anyone tried the other types of impatiens for poison ivy? Do they work? Jewelweed is always listed, but here in the Rockies jewelweed is not as common as poison ivy is. I personally just watch out for it, but not everone is looking at plants when they hike. I would appreciate it if someone has tried any of the garden types and has something to say about them. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Impatiens for poison ivy

The old saying was that if you see poison ivy, jewelweed will be growing close by. Jewelweed likes rich, moist soil (whereas poison ivy is opportunistic and grows in lots of different places). So while you may well see poison ivy growing near jewelweed, the reverse is not all that commonly true.

Sad to say, some recent studies show jewelweed is not effective in preventing poison ivy rash on exposure. Other folk remedies have little if any evidence supporting them, aside from testimonials. Given that people's susceptibility to poison ivy varies so widely, the plant has such a variable appearance (meaning some exposures aren't really to poison ivy) and other factors like mechanical removal may be involved in stories about plants/herbs preventing P.I. attacks, these reports will be unreliable.

Prevention is probably best. At the least suspicion that I may have contacted poison ivy while gardening, I run into the house and wash thoroughly.

o

I have to agree that prevention is the best medicine. Learn to identify and avoid, cover up if in poison ivy possible locations, and wash with copious amounts of hot, soapy water if contact is suspected. I use dish soap as opposed to hand soaps.

That said, I've heard plenty of "testimonials" as to the effectiveness of jewelweed in treating poison ivy. No personal experience since I spend effort on prevention.

FataMorgana

o

I agree that if you can wash really well right after direct contact, you will greatly reduce the chances of your skin being affected by poison ivy.

Also, plantain is fabulous as a treatment as well.

o

Do you have any recipes for Plantain. If you do would you post them here.. My daughters and I use the Jewelweed in our soaps and also make some salves with it. I would love to do the same with some Plantain.

Hettie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here