Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidocd

neuromuscular, emg/ncs, passionflower ...

OrchidOCD
10 years ago

Hello All,

**I've cross-posted this from the Health forum, suspecting those on the Herbalism forum may have more insight into the efficacy of herbal remedies. Apologies for cross-posting.**

This is my first time posting to this forum, though a long-time GW member. I have a question for any who've used non-traditional treatments combined with conventional medicine. Apologies in advance if it seems a strange question.

I've got a neuromuscular issue that I've been trying to treat on my own for over a year, and have had enough success with a self-mixed blend of passionflower, ginko, etc that I've been able to manage my symptoms pretty well. But, as the symptoms have increased and now affect my safe driving ability, I finally decided I needed to get to the root of them. So, I went to see a neurologist. I'm now scheduled for a spinal MRI and EMG/NCS of both arms and both legs.

My question is, should I stop using my herbal remedy before those diagnostic tests, to ensure the tests reveal my unadulterated neuromuscular responses? Or would the GABA agonist properties of the herbal blend that I credit for it's effectiveness not really affect the diagnostic tests? I'm kind of hesitant to give up what's been helping me manage so far, but at the same time, knowing how uncomfortable EMG/NCS is (had to have one for carpal tunnel syndrome in the past) I also don't want to risk 'throwing' the test results and have to do them over later. Thoughts?

Comments (5)

• HerbDoctor
    10 years ago

Orchid:

I'm sorry to say that you've only been getting symptomatic relief from the use of the herbs. From what you've said, your condition has digressed to the point of over-riding the herbs' affectiveness. You should get off all those herbs at this point since they're not getting to the root of your condition.
    Ginko should not be taken more than 3 week at a time since its toxicity is a bit accumulative.

HerbDoctor

This post was edited by HerbDoctor on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 9:11

• rusty_blackhaw
    10 years ago

Best to ask your neurologist about this.

• OrchidOCD
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both, HerbDoctor and Eric_OH, for your replies. I am going off of my herbal remedies (except cayenne tincture - couldn't survive 'sinus season' without it to help me keep my sinuses draining and pain-free) and caffeine in preparation for the tests. Thank you again for your sage advice.

Orchid

• HerbDoctor
    10 years ago

Under the circumstances, I think Eric gave a good answer.

You can never go wrong with cayenne if it works for YOU.
    It's not for everyone.

("Sage advice." Was that a pun?? In that case, I give sage brush advice here in Arizona!)

HerbDoctor

• OrchidOCD
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"("Sage advice." Was that a pun?? In that case, I give sage brush advice here in Arizona!)" Lol!

Chicken and egg quandary - which came first, calling the plant that some wise people use 'sage' or calling the wise person using the plant(s) a 'sage' ? ;-)

Agreed entirely - what works for any individual is totally based on their own individual biochemical reaction to a particular substance's constituents, which I personally believe is why both conventional and non-traditional medicine is by its very nature a system of well-educated and researched trial and error. The global herbal pharmacopeia currently available to the average person nowadays is a blessing, but carries the same potential risks and personal responsibilities of the users as a fully unregulated system of traditional medical drugs would. Just a personal philosophy.

In addition to the advice, finding that the GABA agonist properties of caffeine and nicotine make them contraindicated before an EMG/NCS fully convinced me that the various blends I've been using including that primary property are also contraindicated for that test, even if my neuro is not aware of their properties to warn me of it. I do always list any herbs I'm taking along with prescription and OTC meds for my doctors, but other than those that get lots of 'press' (Echinacea, for example), I've had very few doctors recognize them as 'medicine.' Hence my philosophy - its my body, so my job to research any potential interactions or contraindications. :-)

Thank you again for helping me in that process of research and due diligence! :-)

Orchid

Sponsored
More Discussions