Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phalnellie

gargle/tea for throat polyps

phalnellie
15 years ago

Is there anything you can gargle or make a tea for throat polyps? My husband has some on this voice box. I rather he didn't have an operation as I know that there shoud be something herbal to eliminate the pain, swelling and restore his voice. Any help will be appreciated.

Comments (5)

• apollog
    15 years ago

Has he had the polyps seen to make sure they are in fact benign polyps?

Resting the vocal cords and giving time to heal is essential for recovery of polyps. Anything to mask or suppress the pain might lead to more use of the vocal cords, which will prevent healing.

Having said that, I know that this condition can be miserable. I would personally look to a mild teas of warming herbs if my voice slipped again. Ginger is one of the best, hot pepper and cinammon are also good. It should be warming but not burn the mouth or throat, although when the throat is irritated, it is more sensitive. A demulcent herb like slippery elm can help if there is dryness. A small amount of licorice is often added to throat formulas. I would also consider gotu kola for it's effects on collagen.

• muley
    15 years ago

"...as I know that there shoud be something herbal to eliminate the pain, swelling and restore his voice." How and why do you "know" this? Knowing and wishing are two very different things. Good luck.

Third post.

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

Typically, benign polyps diagnosed through laryngoscopy are treated with conservative methods before surgery is considered.

These include resting the voice (singing or loud speaking/yelling can cause the problem in the first place), quitting smoking or avoiding other irritants, and treating gastroesophageal reflux. More info is available here.

Lifestyle/environmental changes are much more likely to have a positive effect than teas or gargles.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

I suppose the mule and eric are volunteering to pay for said surgery,as most people can't afford it in the USA. Thanks for the assertive and helpful advice apollog. It's amazing how rude the so called med nuts are is it not.
    Apollog did say to see a doctor before using gargle but i forgot med people can't read either. A good reason to see an herbalist. Sounds like these med people are typical medical people,uncaring,unfeeling,and no conscience.

• muley
    15 years ago

Why doesn't the oakleaf pay for the surgery. Problem solved. Are you saying that the illiteracy of medical people (I find it hard to believe that a person could pass the med boards without being able to read) is a good reason to see an herbalist? Are you nucking futs?

You mention rude. Please specify EXACTLY which comment you think as rude. I can list yours if you like.

Fourth post.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions