Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seahorsey_gw

Leonotis leonurus...tea?

seahorsey
19 years ago

I have quite a bit of Leonotis leonurus, and I've been enjoying an amazing blooming display for the last month or so. A friend of mine mentioned that you can make a tea out of the flowers for a soothing effect, so I googled it and discovered that many people do use it as a relaxant. I couldn't find any info on the details of harvesting, though. Does anyone have experience with this flower/herb? Do I harvest the flowers as soon as they bloom? Dry them first or use them fresh? How many flowers do I need to use? If you have any experience with this, I would greatly appreciate the help! Thanks in advance!

Janet

Comments (5)

• Heathen1
    19 years ago

Hmmmm...well, I looked it up, and found it in The Vaults of Erowid...which probably means you can get high from it. Also it can be used to treat High Blood pressure, so I wouldn't take it if you have LOW blood pressure!
    Anyway, this is what I found...

Dosage
    1 table spoonful of chipped dried herb (.10,0g ) added to 3 cupfuls (.500ml ) of boiling water, boil for 10 minutes, allow to cool overnight, strain and use clear liquid for both internal and external use. If fresh material is used, 3-4 young twigs (leaf and stem) are boiled with one litre of water.

Dosage: (internal use)
    Adults: Half a cupful (.90ml)
    Elderly patients: Quarter of a cupful (.45ml)
    Children 6-12 yrs: Quarter of a cupful (.45ml)
    Children 2-6 yrs : Two teaspoonsful (.8ml)
    To be taken two to three times daily.
    For external use, the decoction may be applied to the affected area using a clean cloth.

• seahorsey
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the info, Heathen1. Your mention that it may cause a person to get high has me concerned though. Especially since the recipe includes dosages for infants! I think I'll do a little more research on the effects before I whip up a batch. Thanks again!

Janet

P.S. The Vaults of Erowid sounds like an interesting resource!

• oakleif
    19 years ago

Lions ear was and is used by African natives for an upbeat feeling. I have heard it called a substitution for marijuna. and it is the stems and leaves used. I have had it die out about once every three years as it frosts before the seeds are ready. Getting the seeds is another story. They are very hard and prickly so use leather gloves to get the seeds out.Ive no idea if it works or not,but the flowers are beautiful and look more like lions tails than ears. It self seeds and makes a great background plant
    oakleif

• sandraschiles
    19 years ago

I wonder if Leonotis nepetifolia has the same affects. IT grows here in Florida natively.

Chance

• The_Watsonvillain
    19 years ago

Leonotis nepetifolia does have the same effects as L. leonurus and is actually said to be stronger. Both contain leonurine, the substance responsible for the soothing effect. Wild dagga was used by the Hottentot tribe of South Africa as a substitute for Cannabis when it was in short supply. I have tried a tea made from fresh leaves and it was the most bitter thing I've ever tasted. I couldn't choke down enough to attain any sort of effect. My friend, however, smokes the flowers and enjoys the relaxing effect. Sandraschiles, if you can obtain Leonotis nepetifolia seeds, I have many hot pepper varieties if you are interestested in trading. E-mail me if you are.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions