Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hi, I'm looking for two plants...

Posted by nomorenicksleft 7b Atlanta, GA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 28, 08 at 3:26

White willow, as seed, and the cinchona tree, the one from which anti-malaria medicine is made.

Does anyone know of anywhere where these might be found?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hi, I'm looking for two plants...

I don't know of seed sources for these (you might ask in the Trees and Tropicals forums). Richters Seeds (which carries bark and or extracts from both species) might be able to help you.

o

Just a hint - malaria is not normally seen in the U.S., so if you're either diagnosing yourself or someone else with malaria (and trying to treat them with alternative meds), I suggest you send them to a local doctor or hospital for a proper diagnosis first, and not just treat what may sound like similar symptoms (of malaria) that you read about on the internet.

o

Lucy, I just want the seeds. I don't have malaria. I'd like to try to grow the tree, that's all.

o

I'd try looking in one of these places:

Richters
Horizon Herbs

You can also try asking in the "Herbs" Forum. That forum is plant-centric - generally about growing and using both culinary and medicinal herbs.

FataMorgana

o

Thank you Fata. Neither seem to have what I'm looking for, but I did stumble across a few other seeds that were interesting.

o

For seeds, you could also try B & T World seeds.

o

http://seedexchange.tribe.net/ you can try here, looking around it seems like a hard target to google, and after looking through about 400 results I found nothing promising on quinine bark.

http://www.lazyssfarm.com/Plants/Shrubs/S-Z Shrubs/shrubs_trees_S.htm Has a cultivar of Salix Alba, so not the wild type, but its what you get for free, just take seeds off of it eventually and plant them if you want a whole plant.

As for Quinine thanks to Evolution it isn't the most effective mallarial treatment any more, but it is still very effective at reducing leg cramps.

o

Quinine should not be used for leg cramps, due to potentially deadly side effects and interactions with other medications.

""We believe unapproved quinine products represent a serious health risk because of the widespread use of this product for treating leg cramps," Steven Galson, MD, MPH, says in the FDA news release. Galson directs the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research.

"Quinine needs to be dosed carefully, and FDA-approved labeling reflects the fact that the risks associated with the use of this drug for treatment of leg cramps outweigh the benefits," Galson says."

Of course, using a 3X homeopathic quinine preparation (a 1:1000 dilution) would lower chances of toxicity, while raising the likelihood that you're just wasting your money with a product that's virtually all inactive filler.

o

I like my quinine in tonic water, as in "gin and tonic". I feel different after a few doses, even tho I don't have malaria or leg cramps. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here