Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ntx_nellie

Plant Suggestions?

NTX_Nellie
19 years ago

I have some room in my flower beds and want to plant medicinal herbs. I already have yarrow and lavender as well as chives and a rosemary plant in a pot.

The beds are on the east and north sides of my house so get morning sun. Since this is Texas, the plants would have to be able to withstand the heat and not require a lot of water once established.

What else do you think I could plant that would cover illnesses or other needs that aren't treatable with what I already have?

Thanks,

Nellie

Comments (5)

• Daisyduckworth
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is a copy of something that is in table form, hope you can follow it. It's a list of items suggested for a Herbal First Aid Kit. There are so many possible ailments, and so many herbs to select from, that it will be impossible to be prepared for every emergency or every illness. Naturally you will select those which you believe will provide for your own particular requirements and preferences, and for that of your family. Except where specified, the herbs referred to are in dried form.

Just remember that most of the ordinary, common, culinary herbs have medicinal uses. I suggest you do some research on the subject, and also that you take care to remember that herbs are drugs like any other. Great care must therefore be taken that you don't fall into the trap of over-using, incorrectly self-diagnosing, or using herbs in conjunction with conventional medications, or when suffering from pre-existing conditions (diabetes, heart problems, blood pressure problems amongst many others, not to mention pregnancy) without first consulting a professional. Even doctors do not treat themselves! They are too well-educated to do that, and know better!

HERB MAINLY USED FOR FORM USED
    Agrimony Diarrhoea. Sore throat. Cystitis. Infusion.
    Aloe Vera Burns including sunburn. Wounds. Fresh leaf gel, or cream
    Arnica Bruises. Sprains Make up into a cream as required
    Blackberry leaves Diarrhoea. Infusion.
    Calendula Minor wounds. Rashes. Burns. Tinea. As in infusion, or in a cream.
    Chamomile Restless or teething babies and children. Rashes. Burns. Infusion. Cream or lotion.
    Clove oil Toothache Applied direct. Whole cloves can also be used.
    Comfrey Sprains. Wounds. Skin problems. Fresh leaf poultice. Cream.
    Cramp Bark Menstrual pain. Muscle cramp or spasms. Decoction or cream.
    Dandelion Fluid retention. Warts. Infusion. Sap of fresh plants for warts.
    Echinacea Improve immune system Tablets or capsules.
    Elderflower Hay fever. Colds, flu. Infusion. Elderberry syrup may also be used.
    Eucalyptus oil Colds, flu Inhalation.
    Evening Primrose oil Premenstrual syndrome. Hangover. Eczema. Capsules.
    Fennel seeds Colic in babies. Indigestion. Infusion. (Dill, Caraway or Aniseed can be substituted.)
    Feverfew Headache. Rheumatic pain. Fresh or dried leaf, infusion
    Figs Laxative Fresh or dried fruit, or syrup
    Garlic Antiseptic. Colds, flu. Wounds. Earache. Food poisoning. Fresh bulbs or tablets. Juice for earache.
    Ginger Nausea. Colds and flu. Menstrual pain. Fresh or powdered root. Infusion
    Lavender oil or flowers Antiseptic. Wounds. Minor burns. Bites and stings. Headache. Relaxant. Use externally only. An infusion of fresh or dried flowers can also be used.
    Lemon Balm Insomnia. Bites, stings. Infusion. Fresh leaf for bites and stings.
    Liquorice root Colds and flu. Menopausal symptoms. Sore throat. Infusion.
    Marshmallow Boils. Splinters. Sore thoat. Decoction.
    Mint Shock. Indigestion Infusion
    Rosemary leaves Headaches. Pick-me-up. Infusion.
    St Johns Wort Burns. Earache. Depression Infusion.
    Tea Tree oil Tinea. Wounds. Cold sores. Use externally only.
    Thyme Chest congestion. Worms. Infusion
    Valerian Anxiety. Insomnia. Muscle spasms. Decoction
    Yarrow Nosebleeds. Bleeding wounds. Fever. Bruised fresh leaf. Infusion.

• NTX_Nellie
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the list Daisy. I have been researching and being very careful to choose the safest herbs that will grow in my area. There are just so many choices and I have limited room for plantings so any ideas that will help me limit the choices would be great.

• Herbalynn
    19 years ago

This is advice, from my own experiences.:
    If you want to plant medicinal herbs to use, they should be ones you are familiar with and have knowledge of how to harvest and use the plant. Also, there should be a need for it. I only have a large corner lot, so my space is limited. If you are not limited, you can be less choosy, and more experimentla.
    The plants I grow and use the most of are St. Johns Wort, Mints, Calendula, Feverfew, Rosemary, Lemon Balm, Aloe, Comfrey & Garlic. Echinacea roots should be ready for harvest this year. I may just let it grow bigger rather than divide it.
    I also grow medicinal plants I don't use but thought I was going to when I planted: Coltsfoot (always have intentions of gathering leaves, but summer gets the best of them), Valerian (large plant, to get a good crop would take up lots of room), Angelica (will always grow this as it is a beautful plant, but I don't "use"it, someday I will candy the stems), Agrimony (also cool plant, but don't "use"). And then theres the poison plants, fun to have in a medicinal garden, but unsafe to use: Belladonna, Aconite, Henbane, Houndstongue, Wormwood, etc.
    So my advice would be, get a book on growing and using medicinal herbs, decide what you needs are, and what kind of medicine you are able to make (ie: tea, oil, salve, tincture, succi & syrup, dried in capsule form, etc.) and choose your plants according to your needs, wants and abilities.
    Enjoy, Lynn

• Heathen1
    19 years ago

I wanted to add that half those plants will not do well in a dry environment... I am not sure, everyone's "dry" is different... like where i live in California, Comfrey constantly needs watering... but we got only 14" of rain last year... The ones out of the list that I could find that can take intense heat, and I mean over 100º without afternoon shade are
    Aloe vera (will need drainage for winter)
    Blackberry (I never advise planting this, spreads awfully fast and is unstoppable)
    Calendula and chamomile, both annuals, but calendula does better in cool weather.
    Echinacea does well in dry conditions.
    Licorice of the variety Glycorrhiza Glabra should do well, but doesn't like it down past zone 8, I think.

All the others will need lots of shade over 90º and lots of watering.... I grow some of them in Sacramento, and I am a slave to the watering hose.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

bump, bump, bump.

Sponsored
More Discussions