lorna_organic

researching herbs

lorna-organic
16 years ago

Some of the Web sites which are helpful in researching herbs are:

botanical.com

howstufworks

Wikipedia

Be sure to read through the the various sections offered regarding any herb you research. For instance, I wanted to refresh my memory, so I looked up horsetail this morning, aka shavegrass. Under the precautions category there was information that horsetail should not be taken by people who have high blood pressure, or by people who have kidney problems. It also mentioned that horsetail can make breast milk unpalatable to infants.

I was looking for information specifically about using horsetail to help drop foot. I found no mention of such usage, except for one brief reference to Culpepper*, which said that horsetail can mend sinew. Sinew means tendon. That was the info I was looking for.

I mean to use horsetail as a preventative with my aging German shepherd because she is beginning to show a tendency to drop one hind foot. Years ago I used horsetail to cure a case of drop foot in another elderly dog. However, I did not recall how much, or how often, I gave the herb to my dog, so I refreshed my memory with a little research.

Horsetail should not be given on a daily basis because of silica content. Silica is a component of sand. The gritty quality can cause irritation of the kidneys.

Howstuffworks has numerous categories, including a category on drugs. One can look up how specific drugs work. Wikipedia primarily provides botanical information in regard to herbs, rather than usage information.

*Culpepper was an acknowledged expert in the usage of herbs in days gone by.

Comments (12)

• rusty_blackhaw
    16 years ago

A listing of good websites on the subject of herbal remedies.

Wikipedia is best used only as a starting point for researching herbs, as its content is highly susceptible to user manipulation by people with their own agendas.

Culpepper is mostly of historical interest. Modern herbalists like Stephen Foster and Varro Tyler are far more likely to provide accurate information on herbal use and safety.

• fatamorgana2121
    16 years ago

Websites are nice but don't forget ye 'old ink and paper resources, i.e. books in your research. That is where you will find works and writings by the herbalists mentioned in the previous article as well as many other well respected herbalists. That's not to say that the herbalists mentioned don't have articles available on the web but I would hazard a guess that the bulk of their writings are in book form.

Libraries and used book vendors (including the biggies like Amazon) can be free to inexpensive ways to get high-quality sources of herbal information. I personally use a variety of sources including the web and books when researching herbal topics. Books get a higher credibility rating than the web with me and so I favor them more.

FataMorgana

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

When doing any research, it helps to get the spelling correct. You are presumably referring to Nicholas Culpeper, who was trained (in part) as an apothecary, but who worked (in part) as a physician. b.1616Âd.1654. While his works are wonderful to read, from an historical point of view (and he had a great sense of humour!), I wouldn't trust too heavily in his remedies, though of course there are some of them that are still used today.

Accordingly, I wouldn't trust too much in Mrs Grieves, either. Although her Botanical is fascinating, and a real tribute to her dedication, she relies very heavily not only on Culpeper, but on the Ancients for her information - and she was writing almost 100 years ago.

Let's face it. Even though they got it right in some cases (given an infinite number of monkeys and an infinite number of typewriters, you'll soon get one of them to type something sensible!), I wouldn't trust too heavily in any of them. Study them as points of interest and curiosity of course (and respect them, given the times in which they lived), but if you're going to actually USE herbs, look to more modern, more scientifically-researched information sources.

Even then, be critical! There's a lot of trash written about herbs, and it can take a lot of reading to sort the wheat from the chaff. Be very careful of sites which are actually trying to sell you something! Some have integrity, many have salesmanship, and not much more.

Of course, the more you read, the more you learn. A good place to find reliable information is in the research-papers section in the library of your local university, or agricultural research authority. Cross-referencing and comparisons of research findings are very useful.

Here are 3 websites that are pretty good, and you have about 3 million others to refer to as well!

http://www.holisticonline.com/Herbal-Med/Hol_Herb_Directory_Index.htm

http://www.herbmed.org/

I also tend to favour books over websites, and I always recommend any by Leslie Bremness for reliable information in easily-digestible form. But also take a browse (several browses!) through any and all books on herbs to be found in your local lending library or second-hand bookshop - this way you won't spend megabucks!

Here is a link that might be useful: herb information

• apollog
    16 years ago

I like shrubmed.com when I am prospecting for an herb that has been researched for a particular disease or metabolic pathway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shrubmed Index

• herbalbetty
    16 years ago

Books are an excellent way to start your journey with herbs. As Daisy states, just because someone writes it, doesn't mean they know what's up. So many books are just regurgitation of previously written volumes. That's a high school research paper, not real herbal information. Give me books written by someone who not only has done the scientific research, but has done the empirical testing as well. Things are very different on paper vs. real life. It also depends on what your focus of herbalism is, medical herbalism? To that end, I suggest any books written by David Winston, David Hoffman, Rosemary Gladstar, Stephen Foster and Richo Cech. There are many more, but this is a start.

• akewa
    16 years ago

I just got back on the net after a move. I have a few more resources that are very good.

One is The Herb Companion Magazine you can find it on the web to get subscription info. Also The Herb Research Foundation is the best source for herbal monographes. They carry the German E. http://www.herbs.org Then there is the American Botanical Counciel that carry the American mongraphs.
    http://abc.herbalgram.org/site/PageServer

Both the herb research foundation and american botanical counciel are non for profit groups.

These are the scientific paper research done on the herbs. Many of these a 30 or more pages long on each herb.

• herbal411
    16 years ago

I like drweil.com but his site has more FAQ's....the previously mentioned websites are good, I usually refer to wikipedia for short blurbs of facts of herbs or drugs.....with drop foot, nerve damage and paralysis has occurred and in that case a nerve would benefit from multi b vitamin, for nerve regen, ginko for blood flow, capsicum turmeric, white willow bark for tissue inflammation with the deep tissue massage you should be getting a good physical therapist for guidance, if pt is exhausted....electro acupuncture works well for stimulating the muscle and nerve into working again.... Good forum!

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Thought this was best thread for info for newbees,Have fun.

• beckilove
    15 years ago

Thanks, oakleif!
    Becki

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Remember who on this forum are medical people with their own axe to grind and listen only to herbalists and not medical spammers who are only interested in putting down usage of herbs for their own gain.

Note herbalists advise seeing a doctor first. Medical people never have a goodword to say about herbal usage.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Science is fair, not balanced. Good things are said only when there is something good to say. Typically claims are made that are unsupported by evidence and that is when the evidence based medicine advocates step in and draw the conversation towards evidence, No one here who is involved or interested in the medical community has failed to say anything positive about certain herbs in certain situations. The seat belt and helmet crowd has very little in the way of good things to say about the no safety device method, in most cases.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Still good advise for newbees and others.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus
More Discussions