Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic oil

Posted by Radar2003 UK (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 26, 04 at 12:33

Hi,

I followed the instructions from the e-mail course at http://www.ChrisLewisMH.com for making garlic oil. They say you can make it by crushing garlic, pouring olive oil to cover it, then close the jar and leave in cool dark place for 2 weeks, shaking daily, then strain through a cloth. I've read elsewhere that making herbal oils in this way provides an ideal ground for bacteria to breed, especially botulism, and that the oil should be heated first. Does anyone know about this? Do any of you make garlic oil, and if so how?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic oil

Yeah, don't eat these oils, I think they are for external use only. I know basil sometimes carries a fungus that can make oils go bad, but garlic is an antibacterial, so it shouldn't do that.

o

Botulism is definitely a probability, especially with garlic and chillies in oil. Herbs should be completely dried before using them for herbal oils. So I've read. Meantime, the 'approved' methods for herbal oils are as follows. For cooking, I'd use all of them within a day or two, then leave them for external use only.

Cold Infusion Method: Combine herbs and oil. Pureed herbs disperse their flavor more quickly but are not as aesthetically pleasing. Use with in 2-3 days. Store in the refrigerator at all times.

Warm Infusion Method: In a saucepan, combine herbs and oil. Heat to a simmer, reduce heat slightly and cook just below simmering for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and strain through several layers of cheesecloth into a sterilized glass jar. Label with the date and refrigeration instructions. Store in the refrigerator at all times. Use with in 1 week.

Oven Method: Place oil and chopped vegetable or herb in a 2 cup glass measuring cup. Set cup on a pie plate and place in a 150C oven for 1 hour. At the end of heating, the vegetable pieces should be a medium brown colour and crisp. If not, continue baking until they turn brown. Remove cup to a rack to cool for 30 minutes. Line a small strainer with a coffee filter or several layers of cheesecloth. Strain oil into a clean glass jar, cover and store in refrigerator at all times. Use within a month.

o

Oh - thanks for the info. I was intending to use it only for external huse, so that's ok. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here