Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
passepartout_gw

Stiff and sore muscles

Passepartout
20 years ago

I've had aching back muscles for about five or six years now. Some of the muscles have become numb and some can be, if put in an uncomfortable position ie. sitting against a hard wall, very painful. I've tried to exercise them, but without much luck. Can muscles which are very stiff even be properly exercised? I have a similar problem in both of my hands and when I lift weights I don't feel the 'burn' I'd feel if I'd do some leg exercises.

Comments (22)

• kfgesq
    20 years ago

If I were you I would get to a good chiropractor immediatelY! Numbness can be a sign of nerve root irriatation or worse.

• Passepartout
    Original Author
    20 years ago

What do you mean worse?

I haven't been to a chiropractor before. Been thinking about going to one, but to tell you the truth, I'm a little sceptic. I've read that it's more effecient than massage, but...

I guess I'll give it a try.

• kfgesq
    20 years ago

Worse meaning disc herniation, there is no reason to be sceptical, they are doctors who specialize in the spine. Of course they are more efficient than massage because they treat the spine not only the muscles. They get to the root cause of the problem and treat it not just the symptoms. My sister has been one for over twenty years and I have been to many very good ones. Ask around to see who your friends or neighbors recommend. I don't know where you are located but I am sure there are many qualified practtioners out thre. good luck

• The_Passenger
    20 years ago

Well, the worst thing that could happen to you would be that you leave the chiropractor's office feeling good! :o)
    There are 2 schools of chiropractors, one that feels with a proper chiropractor, you can cure even AIDS, the other is more mainstream.
    I feel that a good amalgamation of beliefs is good...chinese therapy, ayurvedic therapy, herbalism. I think they all have something to offer, and they sure have been around for a long time, so SOMETHING must work. If you use chiropractery (sp?) mixed with western medicine, you probably can't go wrong...and I'd get this nerve problem you have checked out pronto, it does sound like a herniated disk....
    xoxothe passenger.

• cacye
    20 years ago

You need to stretch out. Every day, before you work out,
    and after you work out. Gentle stretches. There are several books on the subject, ask your librarian for help
    or take a class. Yoga helps too. Also, for back pain, you
    need to work out your STOMACH muscles, because those are the
    muscles that actually hold your back in place. While you are
    at it, have you had a doctor look at this? You could have
    siatica, which means using acupressure and being patient,
    but you sound like a friend of mine who has a degenerated
    disk. Even so, slow stretching is good for it. I mean slow
    no bouncing, hold the stretch about 45 seconds.

• Passepartout
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Amazing, I didn't find a single chiropractor I could go to. There's like a hundred massagers around my neighbourhood but a not single chiropractor.

"I'd get this nerve problem you have checked out pronto"

Exactly how is this checked out? I talked about it with my physiotherapist but she seemed a little confused. I also talked about it with 'my' doctor who downplayed it.

"You need to stretch out."

I know. I just started doing more stretches today.

• kerriritterbusch
    20 years ago

Passepartout,

long ago when i was 19 years old, i totally screwed up my back while sunday morning bowling (can you imagine)? they had to call an ambulance to take me to the hospital. i couldn't move. hospital wanted me in traction for at least 6 weeks. the pain was so bad they gave me 3 separate shots of morophine to no avail.

had my boyfriend carry me out. i mean i could not move and had to use a bedpan that night. then on monday, friend said to go to chiropractor. after just the one visit, i was 80% better, could walk and what not. i have been a true believer ever since. now when my neck or lower back is killing me, i just get an adjustment and pain is gone.

kerri

• Passepartout
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the story, Kerri. You've convinced me. I finally found one even tho it's not very close or cheap, but I think I'll give it a try nevertheless.

• Durwood
    20 years ago

I would also make sure you dont have a cacium deficiency. It makes a big difference for your bones and muscles.

• kfgesq
    20 years ago

Passpartout where are you located? maybe we can help locate someone for you.

• kerriritterbusch
    20 years ago

Passpartout,

my chiropractor only charges 30 or 32 per visit.

• Passepartout
    Original Author
    20 years ago

"I would also make sure you dont have a cacium deficiency. It makes a big difference for your bones and muscles."

I don't think that's the problem. I drink 2-5 glasses of milk per day.

"Passpartout, my chiropractor only charges 30 or 32 per visit."

30/32? I asked about the prize it would cost and they said it's about 60 euros, which I think is a little steep.

• bushpoet
    20 years ago

Passepartout, stretching & moist, heat might help. Also a good magnetic pad for your chair or bed or carseat might help. Yoga is great but after being injured I found qi gong less demanding and quite effective.

Also, I hate to tell you but, there's a lot of controversy surrounding whether the calcium is milk is bio-available (i.e., absorbable by the human body).

I've included two URLs from the NOTMILK website - they're fanatics but the science is solid.

The first link is the Harvard Nurses Study involving more than 72,000 people which showed that milk consumption did NOT improve bone strength/health, esp. consumption after age 35, when the body has already achieve peak bone density.

The second link has good discussion of calcium bio-availability & a list of good non-diary sources. It also discusses the impact that eating meat has on the body's calcium reserves.

And lastly, remember that the body needs a good deal of magnesium & some boron etc. to absorb & utilize that calcium.

Good luck w/the chiropractor - & remember, a highly recommended one is better than a cheap, convenient one!

http://www.notmilk.com/calcium2.html
    http://www.notmilk.com/deb/092098.html

• cestrum
    20 years ago

Have you tried a magnesium supplement? I don't think it will have any effect if your problem is bone-related (eg from a damaged disc), but the effect will seem miraculous if the problem is muscle-related.

I use a brand that I think is available only here in Australia, but I'll list the ingredients so you can look for something similar in your country if you're interested:
    200 mg Mag orotate (eq. 13 mg mag)
    200 mg Mag aspartate (eq. 13.4 mg mag)
    150 mg Mag amino acid chelate (eq. 30 mg mag)
    80 mg Mag phosphate (eq 16.5 mg mag)
    It contains no salt, sugar, dairy, gluten etc.
    = 73 mg total elemental magnesium content
    Dosage for adults: 1 or 2 tabs per day.

It was the only thing that helped relieve the pain of sciatica until I could see the chiropractor (it was Easter), and in the following weeks while the chiropractic took effect.

It also works magnificiently in eliminating cramps. A pregnant friend took a tablet after checking with her doctor, who told her that it was a waste of time although it wouldn't harm her or the baby. The cramps that had plagued her for weeks and sometimes even made breathing difficult disappeared within the hour.

So I swear by it for almost immediate relief.

In the long run, though, it's best to increase your intake naturally thru magnesium-rich foods, and of course to try all the other suggestions made on this board to see which work for you.

Re arthritic problems, there are two herbs that work for my mother:
    1 Ginger, a nob taken daily (she adds it to her cooked veggies). You just buy it weekly from the green grocer/supermarket.
    2 Pennywort. This you need to grow yourself and consume fresh. It means finding a plant from a nursery, then growing it on (in the garden or in several pots) until you have enough to provide one large or two small leaves each day. It needs to accumulate in the body, so there's no point in starting it until you can secure a continuous supply. The taste is medicinal, so my mother just tries to swallow it without tasting it.

BTW, ginger is wonderful for relieving nausea and preventing stomach upsets generally. I've also found that eating a knob every day prevents those debilitating menstrual cramps too, but this is another remedy that takes several weeks to kick in. (Magnesium doesn't seem to relieve these cramps, alas.)

• Jamesge
    19 years ago

Lots of stretching, real stretches. If you don't have some serious problem this will help you significantly. Go see a physio therapist, there are a number of things that can go wrong in the body that require a professional's attention. Any stretch you don't hold for at least 20 real seconds isn't doing anything.

• maggie_berry
    19 years ago

I second what Cestrum said. But first Go straight to a Naturapath! I went to a naturapath for similar symptoms. I felt like an old rusty can. She prescribed very affordable supplements and minerals and resolved my problem. In about a week I felt better. Now I feel like I'm healed! Can I get a a-men!

• ellanadasdy
    19 years ago

would definitely get it checked but if your looking for herbal remedies here are a few; try a comfrey ointment and or willow, devils claw, meadowsweet for muscle repair. try tinctures or tisanes of yellow dock and celery seed, theses are cleansing and will aid in the elimination of toxins which collect in the joints, thyme oil used as a compress shoul ease any discomfort,
    good luck,
    love ella

• corey90
    13 years ago

Keep your chin in contact with your body as you turn your head to the left so your chin rests on left shoulder. Do three times each way. Lay on your side at the edge of your bed

Here is a link that might be useful: chiropractor san francisco

• rusty_blackhaw
    13 years ago

Chiropractic has been found to help some people with musculoskeletal complaints (about as useful as massage or other physical therapy). The subluxations that chiropractors claim to discover have not been tied to "general health", though many chiros attempt to treat internal medical problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chiropractic and reform

• jamesingram83
    13 years ago

Chiropractic care is based on a simple yet effective concept: Nerves and spines that functions normally coupled with a healthy lifestyle increase the body�s natural healing ability. A chiropractic treatment mainly deals with hands-on spine manipulation and as well as diagnosis of problems that relates to the musculoskeletal system. Chiropractic procedures are all non-invasive, which means it is free from prescription drugs and surgeries.

Here is a link that might be useful: San Clemente Chiropractor

• rusty_blackhaw
    13 years ago

Speaking of unsupported claims about chiropractic treating internal medical complaints, the preceding chiro's link says they can help "Whether you are suffering from bodily aches and pains or any other diseases and illnesses such as asthma".

Needless to say, there's no good evidence for this (as a comprehensive review demonstrates in the case of asthma).

"There is insufficient evidence to support the use of manual therapies (i.e chiropractic) for patients with asthma."

As for herbalism, people are probably better off consulting an experienced herbalist than going to a chiropractor who dabbles in herbs, nutrition, and other modalities for which they're poorly trained.

• jleicest
    12 years ago

For the last poster - sometimes experience counts for something, Doctors used Asprin long before there was evidence it works, however I am not sure that this is the place for these kind of debates about Evidence Based Practice and the value of Clinical Experience.

I just wanted to add for the original poster Passepartout that Stiff Muscles and weaknesses are a common sign of a nerve problem and it would be advisable to get a health professional to diagnose what the cause is and suggest a treatment.
    There are some techniques useful for relaxing muscles like muscle energy techniques and of course specific back exercises that could help once you know they are appropriate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quiropractico

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert
More Discussions