Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vitex Agnus Castus

Posted by Lunaplanting 9a Italy (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 1, 04 at 16:19

Just wondering if anyone out there has tried raising some of this wonderful plant from seed. I have gotten some seeds, and want to do some winter sowing.

If anyone has any experience growing vitex and could give me some tips I would much appreciate it.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vitex Agnus Castus

This doesn't need cold stratification in my experience. You could soak seeds in warm water overnight but I don't even think that's necessary.
There's also a variegated form of this tree/shrub that's very nice, and probably would be hardy for you.

Try asking also in the growing from seed and tree forums.

o
RE: Vitex Agnus Castus

I've never grown it myself (would love some seeds!) but the following information might be helpful to you.

Propagate by seed sown in spring at a temperature of 22-24C. Germination takes about 18 days. Grow out for a year before transplanting. Plants will be 60cm or more at that time, and further growth is also rapid. Can also be propagated by cuttings, which are easy to strike in warm weather. A very resilient plant which can grow rapidly. It is frost-tolerant, but may die right back to the root during extreme winters. It is slow to set leaves in spring, and late to set flower. Moderate to heavy pruning in winter will stimulate growth. Will grow in most soils, but it must have good drainage. Plant is susceptible to root rot and nematodes, but is otherwise very hardy, and will even tolerate salty conditions. Grow in sun or partial shade, in moderate to moist soil. Best suited to tropical or sub-tropical areas. Growth rate is slower and mature height is less when grown in cooler climates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here