Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liz_h_gw

HerbMentor LearningHerbs

liz_h
15 years ago

I just found the herbmentor.com website. Based on the free content, it looks like a good learning site - especially for someone like me who knows nearly nothing on the subject. I'd like to hear from others who have subscribed to it for awhile. Is the free content a good indicator of the rest of the site? Do you like the classes? Is the information provided accurate? Anything good or bad you can say about the site? Are there other web-based courses or sites that you think are better? I love the GardenWeb forums, but would benefit from a more structured approach.

Thanks for any info or suggestions. :)

Comments (15)

• rachelneil
    15 years ago

here's a great blog with tons of articles on native remedies.

Here is a link that might be useful: native remedy

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

Rachel, apart from your post having nothing to do with the website being asked about, your own site would probably have more credibility if it tried to document what those supplements you're selling can supposedly do for the conditions they're listed for. The brief generic articles look like they're mainly intended as padding for supplement ads.

• veggymama
    15 years ago

I am taking an herbal class and several of my classmates have highly recommended HerbMentor. I can't give you my personal opinion as I haven't had time to check it out yet, but I do think well of my classmates opinions.

• liz_h
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks veggymama. That carries some weight with me, too.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Add me to the list of impressed people. Bare in mind eric is a medical person who is actively against herbalism and only responds to questions on this forum to persuade people to stay away from herbs and treat the medical profession as gods.
    Do your own research before taking herbs as well as any medical drugs.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Oakleif, you just said to be weary of Eric, despite the fact tha this post stated A) that the website doesn't even pretend to be on topic and B) that it has no resources. All he is doing is asking for proof, thats only a condemnation if the person making the claim has none(in which case someone who follows your advice and does research will end up disagreeing with the claimant, something that eric didn't even do)

• WyldViolet
    12 years ago

HerbMentor isn't really worth sticking around for too long. There is only one Herbalist who comes on daily to give her 2 cents, and the other members are mostly pretty novice themselves, so you don't get a diversity of expert advice.

Its worth being a member one month a year, to download as much as you want. Things are added so slowly that monthly membership is a waste of money.

There are other forums, such as the susun weed forum, where you can have all your questions answered.

• WyldViolet
    12 years ago

Oh, and its also very biased towards whoever their 'business' affiliates. Because they profit whenever you are referred to one of their affiliates, they really only recommend businesses and other herbalists they will profit from. If you are not affiliated financially in some way, you don't get the referral.

Any of the herbalists that occasionally pop on, such as Kiva rose, Sean donahue, Jim McDonald, do so to promote themselvesw and their services, not to help out for the sheer joy of it. You can tell because they come on more regularly when they have a new course to promote.

everything John does is very 'infommercially' BUY NOW BUY NOW BEFORE THIS OFFER IS GONE!!! By this I mean that any extra courses that he offers for an extra charge, he promotes the hell out of on HerbMentor. Thing is, he makes it seem like a now or never deal, but it is always available at a later date. Always. and usually as a free added bonus to another new course.

He always states that he never knows whether or not a new course will be offered in the future, but then he turns around to say that he plans every little detail of his business out for the next 5 years.

he tries to come across as your 'friend' but it is a business, and a very lucrative one at that. With over 500 members, he is pulling in some serious cash. An accurate estimate cannot be made since not everyone pays the same amount per month. It all depends on what deal you signed up for. Somne people may pay 1/3 what you pay. If you bring that up in a forum post, he deleted the topic so nobody knows.

• BayL
    10 years ago

"HerbMentor isn't really worth sticking around for too long.
    Its worth being a member one month a year, to download as much as you want. Things are added so slowly that monthly membership is a waste of money."

I disagree. As a memeber of Herbmentor for the past 2 years, I've never once considered it a waste of $. The amount one can expect to get out of it is what they are willing to put into it.
    As to what you said regarding John's business practices, the fact that a person is able to sign up for a week long trial, download as many videos, articles and recipes as they want, ask away in the forums, pay $5 and walk away forever shows (to me) that herbmentor clients stay because they feel they are are getting a valueable resource.
    I encourage anybody out there interesed in learning how to safely and effectively use herbs and wild foods to do exactly as WyldViolet suggests: sign up for 30 days, download as much as you possibly can, and if you think you could get it all, think again! After all, they offer that deal because it works! Most people stay, as I did, and continue to do. Blessings~

This post was edited by BayL on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 16:53

• kaliaman
    10 years ago

my friend rosalee is the herbalist who checks in daily to give health tips at herbmentor : ) she's an excellent herbal practitioner, gives solid advice, always.

i'm sending a link to this thread to john and co. at herbmentor so they can hear your honest criticisms and hopefully make the site better by responding accordingly. we all need a little constructive critique now and then to help us make positive shifts. cheers!

This post was edited by kaliaman on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 16:14

• BayL
    10 years ago

Rosealee's a treasure :)
    I have also come to depend on the advices of many other herbmentor clients.
    Herbmentor is a community of herbalists of all skill levels, and some "novice" may have a great question that makes me look at a process in a new light. I never did wildcraft herbs, other than dandelion or chamomile, too afraid to eat something poisonous! Herbmentor has great resources about ethical widcrafting, which I've used to start wildcrafting plantain, raspberry leaf, nettle, elder, crampbark, yarrow, chickweed, willow bark, self-heal all in my own yard. Also, they have resources for drying and storing herbs, along with tons of recipes and activities to share with my kids.
    I swear I'm not employed by herbmentor!

• acm0
    10 years ago

You have to be careful with some herbal sites... I have heard mixed reviews of HerbMentor. I only stuck around for the free information.

• HerbDoctor
    10 years ago

I don't know anything about herbmentor, but be careful of cure zone. It's everything the above complaints about herbmentor are. (Did that last sentence even make any sense???)

HerbDoctor

• chervil2
    10 years ago

I really enjoy the herbmentor.com podcasts and they are free in iTunes. Some of them I have listened to many times. John shares his amazing gift for interviewing herbalists. After enjoying many of the podcasts, I invested in a membership with herbmentor.com. When I met John at the International Herbs Symposium in June, I commented that he was the informative voice in my garden through my iPod shuffle. I am hoping that my financial support will help John continue to do more excellent podcasts with herbalists from around the world.

• kaliaman
    10 years ago

right on chervil2! its lovely to express appreciation and gratitude for the thing that nourishes your spirit.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions