Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amino_x

Cinnamon Kills E-Coli in Apple Juice

Amino_X
19 years ago

I ran across this yesterday while looking for an applesauce recipe for a friend. I will definately be cooking more with Cinnamon in the future :D

http://www.uark.edu/depts/fsc/news.fall99.html#cinnamon

Best Wishes

Amino-X

Comments (9)

• reinbeaux
    19 years ago

Kills fungus when sprinkled on the soil of plants too

• Thirsty_Houstonian
    19 years ago

Also, it lowers blood glucose, triglycerides, and bad LDL cholesterol. Cinnamon has the highest antioxidant activity when it comes to herbs.

However, I wouldn't eat powdered cinnamon, though... the solid material can be toxic. Instead, I put a cinnamon stick in my favorite hot beverage and let it steep for a couple of minutes.

Don't overdo it if you're already on antidiabetic medications. Adding cinnamon may lower your blood sugar below normal levels, resulting in hypoglycemia. Also, it looks like it has anti-clotting activity; so, don't use it if you have any bleeding disorders.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cinnamon overview

• moonwolf23
    19 years ago

uhhhhhhhhhhh how in the world is powdered cinnamon toxic? Don't they sell that stuff in the spice isle?

• Thirsty_Houstonian
    19 years ago

LOL, they do. According to this website, it can cause nausea, vomiting, and even kidney damage.

What I mainly meant is don't overdo it and avoid any additional risks from the solid stuff. Also, I would probably avoid cinnamon in any form if I had kidney dysfunction/damage.

But anyways, from the experimental results, 0.25-0.5 teaspoons should be enough for the blood sugar-lowering effect.

Standard disclaimer:
    I am not a medical doctor and this should not be taken as a substitute for professional medical advice.

• Heathen1
    19 years ago

I know that if you over do nutmeg, it can be liver toxic! Just because something is good in small amounts doesn't mean that loads of it is better! I think that spices have been used traditionally to either retard spoilage in a non-refrigerator world or to cover the taste of spoilage!

• rodger_copp
    16 years ago

The website referenced by Thirsty says: Do not take cinnamon oil internally; it is highly concentrated and can be very toxic, causing nausea, vomiting, and even kidney damage.

I consume the fresh ground powder in moderation (1/2 tsp on cereal). 1 -2 tsp per day max. I feel this has noticeably improved my brain function. If I die, I'll let you know.

• apollog
    16 years ago

Yeah, almost any essential oil can be so concentrated that it is toxic unless diluted appropriately. The oils might be concentrated by a factor of 50x up to over 10,000x, and a teaspoon of the oil might be equivalent to hundreds of cups of the corresponding herb tea. I believe that attar of rose is one of the most concentrated oils available, with many, many pounds of flowers needed for a drop of the oil.

• sam_md
    16 years ago

The 3 year old article about cinnamon in apple juice is no longer available. I presume that they were talking about unpasturized apple juice.
    The only reason I can see for adding spices to applesauce, pie, etc is for flavoring. Wouldn't the cooking process kill e-coli?

• apollog
    16 years ago

Yes, most commercial products are pasteurized and bacteria should not be a problem. But cooking and pasteurization do not kill all bacteria - some are quite tough.

Adding spices to foods when they are cooked might extend the refrigerator life above and beyond the benefits of heat. Normal food service sanitation should be adequate, but spices might improve the margin of safety. Similar studies were done on kudzu root broth, and it was suggested that kudzu could be used as a spray or dip to reduce spoilage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antibacterial effect of crude water-soluble arrowroot (Puerariae radix) tea ...

Sponsored
More Discussions