Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturallife_gw

Quercetin supplements: How safe is it?

naturallife
14 years ago

I am presently taking Quercetin supplements 500mg every day. I just discovered after reading "The Inflammation Syndrome" by Jack Challem, that Quercetin supplements have failed to pass the Ames test for mutagenicity, which means they cause breaks in genetic material and conceivably could increase the risk of cancer.

There is something very troubling about taking a potential carcinogen to treat inflammation.

I would like to know your thoughts on this matter.

Comments (3)

• rusty_blackhaw
    14 years ago

There've been reports like this about quercetin (a flavonoid found naturally in fruits and vegetables) dating back to the '70s. However, effects in the test tube don't mean that the supplement causes a problem in human use:

"Most of the results of in vivo studies (in live animals) indicate that quercetin is not carcinogenic. Since 1969, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has undertaken a program to evaluate the carcinogenic risk of chemicals. In 1999, IARC concluded that quercetin is not classified carcinogenic to humans. In the U.S. and Europe, supplements of quercetin is commercially available, and beneficial effects of quercetin supplements were reported in clinical trials. Overall, quercetin is genotoxic to salmonella, but its safety upon human application is approved."

The Ames test provides one measure to assess safety of compounds, but it has limitations. And not everything that passes the Ames test is guaranteed safe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quercetin and safety

• apollog
    14 years ago

Quercetin, quercetrin, and related compounds are present in many fruits and vegetables (apples and onions are two notable examples). Fruits and vegetables are generally a more economic way of getting querc, and they provide other important phytochemicals. But if you are taking it to supplement a balanced diet for a particular reason, there is no evidence I am aware of that it is harmful.

• cacye
    14 years ago

I used this for 2 months. It didn't do any appreciable thing.