Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Horseradish leaves, Good for anything?

Posted by justame (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 07 at 23:34

Hi all, We were out cleaning up the herb garden area today and cut back the leaves on the Horseradish(things were getting abit overgrown). So now I have about 20-30 lbs of horseradish leaves about 2-3' long.
Are they good for anything?
Would they be bad for a person if you tried to eat one? Some of the young inner leaves and shoots look kind of tender.
I wonder if they could be steamed like greens or mixed in with a salad?
Any thoughts??
TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Horseradish leaves, Good for anything?

I've never tried it but there are others who have. A google search of "horseradish leaves edible" turned up a number of folks who added the leaves to salads and sandwiches.

FataMorgana

o

I once knew an elderly Polish lady who always put a horseradish leaf into her bread-and-butter cucumber pickles.

You can add the leaves to a green salad.

I've heard that if you add a little of the chopped leaves to your dog's food, it will help him to dispel worms.

o

Thanks, I was just worried that they might be bad for you, like the leaves on Rhubarb.

o

I tried some. The outer leaves are kind of bitter, but aren't too tough. The small inner leaves aren't too bad. they are kind of hot, but it goes away fairly quick.

o

Horseradish lead is the key ingredient in making real (fermented) pickles. It is what keeps them crunchy rather than mushy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here