Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on Mullein

Posted by rick_in_va 7 VA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 11, 11 at 1:26

Hello,

I need some info on common mullein (Verbascum thapsus). I have been taking a medicinal herbs class this fall, and I had an opportunity to try some mullein leaves for a cold and chest congestion. Discovered what a grand and effective remedy it is.

I went out looking to gather some but I discovered that presently around here it has all dried up and turned brown. So I decided to collect some seeds and grow some in my back yard next spring.

I broke open some of the dried flower pods on the long spike at the top, but I didn't find any seeds, just some grainy dust about the size of table salt. Where are the seeds and what do they look like?

Any info would be appreciated.
Rick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice on Mullein

Seeds are tiny, not much bigger than grainy dust. Oops! Maybe those were seeds! :) If you can find another dry flower spike tip it upside down into a brown paper bag and shake it/beat it around a bit. You will surely get at least a few seeds out it.

Tip - look for new mullein plants around the base of this year's flowering plants. There will certainly be some babies around within 10-20'. While they do transplant, in my experience they resent it and refuse to grow to full height/size after transplanting. They will still flower and produce copious amounts of seeds - and mullein plants will be yours for ever more!

Seed can also be had from the online vendors like Richters and Horizon Herbs.

FataMorgana

o

I have been suffering asthma during the winter months here in south Florida for years. I use Advair, Singular, Albuuterol in a nebulizer, and a rescue inhaler and hate the way it makes me feel. I recently bought a blend of herbs that is smoked , and the results are nothing less that amazing . Coltsfoot and mullein with some skullcap valerian and damiana. It is wonderful to be able to breath without the horrible side effects. So far so good !

o

My experience is similar to fatamorgana's. Mullein is best direct sown! Also, watch the water...too much will make it quite unhappy. Horizon is a good seed source. All Good Things has a few different varieties as well http://www.agtoseeds.com/collections/mullein

And fatamorgana is right...let it go to seed once, and it will be with you for life!

w

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here