Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toothache Plant - Spilanthes acmella

Posted by chervil2 z5 MA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 9:02

I am wondering if anyone has personal experience with using this herb for conditions other than toothaches. Scientific publications from India and Brazil state the remarkable properties of this plant. I grow the toothache plant as a curiousity and enjoy the appearance of the glossy leaves and pointy eyeball like flowers. Sometimes I add leaves to my salad to enjoy the flavor and numbing sensation. I can see the value of having a tincture of the flowers and/or leaves on hand.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bioactivity of Spilanthes acmella

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toothache Plant - Spilanthes acmella

i make up an herbal toothpowder for my own personal use and include a bit of spilanthes in there. leaves a nice tingle behind after brushing.

o

I've only known to use prickly ash bark for my sensitive teeth but never used spilanthes. Has anyone compared spilanthes to prickly ash to know which one is better? Or maybe they do the same thing?

Thanks.

HerbDoctor

o

their actions are similar and could be used interchangeably for this purpose, imo. prickly ash is stronger so you'd probably use less proportionally in your mixture.

o

Thanks, K.

HerbDoctor

o

Spilanthes acmella (or oleracea, they're just two different names for the same plant) will kill plasmodial diseases and blood parasites, and prevent heartworms in pets. It kills Giardia and prevents food poisoning. It also increases production of white blood cells and antiviral Interferon. Spilanthes and Prunella will prevent/cure MRSA. I've grown and used both Spilanthes and Prunella for over 13 years, and will never be without them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here