Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hopefulelialways

thought i should tell you

hopefulelialways
18 years ago

first ill appologise if this is common knowledge but i think- sorry definatly know ive got this prickly heat- sunburn- minor burns-most things to do with irritation of the skin job sussed.POTATOES.specifically startch.im 36 years old and i suffered for years with the above complaints until september this year when for some reason i remembered something that happened to me when i was a little girl.my mother was ironing and i pulled the iron over and burned my hand which was immediatly dragged under cold water whilst waiting for my nana to come and sort me out. a potato was washed and peeled and placed over the burn which healed magically into a small narrow scar.if anyone out there has ever had prickly heat you know this can spoil a holiday as it has mine since ever i can remember until this year when yet again i put myself through hell after going on a sunbed before going on holiday so as not to look like an alien.anyway after remembering this episode i decided to take it another step by peeling half a dozen taties slicing them into a bath of warm water and climbed in.IT WORKED.the prickly heat disappeared-it never came back whilst on holiday or after going back on the sunbed to keep my lovley tan-something ive never had!if you dont want to go that far just place the sliced potato in a bowl of water and leave for a bit until you get that white stuff-startch floating then pat slices onto skin. you get the idea.

Comments (17)

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

It's not common knowledge to me! :o) Always good to hear advice like that... That's how wisdom is passed down, by finding things out by accident...

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago

It's great to share such knowledge. Not everybody knows these things.

Actually, if you care to do some homework, you'll find that a lot of fruit and veges and other commonly-used household foods have medicinal uses besides their nutritious input, and can be very effective and useful in an emergency. Which is why I tend to put them under the large umbrella of 'herbs'.

• Phylla
    18 years ago

Honey, this is such wonderful knowledge shared, but, I gotta add, If you are posting on the Internet, learn how to construct sentences and paragraphs. It can be quite vicious out there, as well as your intent may be.

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

Phylla... I think you should post your zone... don't you think? I mean, since we are being perfect around here. Better to make sure your house is in order before you notice other houses. Too bad people just can't let others be.

• PurpleRainbow
    18 years ago

potatoes. i had no clue. another reason to love them spuds!

• hopefulelialways
    Original Author
    18 years ago

just to say thankyou very much for your kind words. its a shame some folk cant see the woods for the trees innit.lets hope the pefect Phylla gets over it all eh!

• shortarse_hedgewitch
    18 years ago

isn't pedantry fun, in fact grammar is usualy a lot more forgiving on the internet as many people on it use english but don't speak it as a first language

and as for the advice thx loads, sunburn doesn't really affect me but my sister is pale, slightly freckly with blonde hair and blue eyes, and also lokes tops with short sleves/straps. she burns horribly and will probably find this useful, unless she just has a go at me and rejects it cos its wierd :s

isn't sharing fun, so thx loads

oh and :
    "knowledge shared, but,possibly a little dodgy, with ", but," I gotta add, Ifsince when is a comma followed by a conjunction with a capital letter? you"
    "as well as your intent may be" slightly unorthadox word order if you ask me, "as good as your intentions may be" or "as well as you may intend it"

sorry for the semi ranting pedantry, hmm hope this doesn't count as flaming

well back to gardening and thanking hopefulelialways

• andy_sa
    18 years ago

Shortarse!
    Hope there's no copyright on your last posting, as I'd love to use it in class (language teacher, grammar, blah blah blah).
    Better a ranting pedant than red ants in your pants...

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

I dunno, in MY humble American opinion... you furriners don't speak proper English anyway. :D I mean really... getting stuffed should just be eating a nice meal. hee hee!

• shortarse_hedgewitch
    18 years ago

ha, its funny because americans don't speak english properly (well its different in the same way as a dialect, but its not english english, of you get my meaning? : S)

and heathen you surprise me, a humble american opinion? : o (no offence meant, just poking fun at steriotypes here)

the idea of anything i'v done being used in an english class, amuses me to say the least, but if you want to feel free.

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

no... no humbility here! :o) I think that's humbleness. Well, you guys came up with the screwiest language out there... part Sanskrit, part germanic, part french, part gargle.... no rules, a grammar teacher's nightmare! Can we say irregular verbs? How does that go? Wan brillig wen the shores sote, the drout of Marche hath perced to the rote, an bathed every vein in swiche liquor, of wich vertu engendred is the coor... something like that...

• andy_sa
    18 years ago

I do fere Heathen be swinkin' fulle merrye a fit!
    Please note that we don't "gargle" (that's why we can't speak proper Eurobabble). But seriously folks, this no-rules- (there are, but you're supposed to break them) grammar-teacher's-nightmare stuff is what pays the bills AND buys the plants, so you see it's all rather jolly...

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

And wel ye woot, agaynes kynde Hyt were to lyven in thys wyse,
    For nature wolde nat suffyse To none erthly creature
    Nat longe tyme to endure Withoute slep and be in sorwe.

I heard that Chaucer was busted for rape? Course back then, rape was considered a sin by the woman... best to kill her to save her soul.

• shortarse_hedgewitch
    18 years ago

diddn't know there was sanskrit
    but it sounds liekly

ah well, whats that about back then? it still is a crime by the women in some islamic societies, i.e. its the womans fault for being irresistable to the men... i see

is the word humility?

oh and aparently current research indicates that the language that was added to continualy that ended up with english in fact came from turkey, odd. that could be the sanskrit, i can necer remember where thats from, sumaria? wait that was sumarian (obviously)

german is so much easyer than english
    it has similar grammar rules and words but the difference is that they stick to the rules (an unusual concept for those to whom english is a first language)

apparently olde english is an interesting language to learn (its different to modern english in that its from before the french influence) i thikn my breat grandfather actually learned it

you forgot celtic and norse into the mix of languages

at least english is simpler than gordy(sp?) (an unusual and obscure northern dialect)

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

Well, explain the way you brits pronounce The Thames.... here, we would say Theymes.... as th in thought.. eymes...
    what's this "Tems" business?
    Sanskrit comes from India, and if you read some sanskrit, you will KNOW where English came from. Though how it got to England, I didn't get that far in my Linquistics 101 class, maybe from the Gypsies through Turkey? Turkish is very closely related to Japanese... I know this because I used to speak Turkish very well... Bir fistik, iki fistik, uc fistik...ekmekegemisinizmi? etc. I used to have an Algebra professor from southern Russia... I could sorta understand him, better when he spoke his language than English! :o)BUT, because I lived in Turkey, I can pick out words in Pakistani if I try when reading it..... so wierd! My Gramma was Welsh... she could speak THAT gargle... and THAT's gargle if I ever saw it! what's with all the 'L's and then the W's being vowels? I read a book where the guy's name was Twm Tybach.... Toom? *throw's hands in air* I have no idea.
    My best friend is Latvian... now HER parents learned german in the concentration camps... they'd speak german to keep secrets.... but she taught me some Latvian dirty words! :o)
    and no... the word is HUMBILITY... I have the ability to be humble! :o) (hee hee)

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

though, i should add... I had an Irish roommate who pronounced Thought as Taught... or think as tink...:o) guess the Haitch is silent.

• nettles17
    18 years ago

hey guys...what happened to the potatoes?!?!:) My husband's an English teacher and I'm about to call him in to read this. I am much entertained and slightly abased;)
    Happy potatoing!
    Carolyne

Sponsored
More Discussions