Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite potpourri blend

Posted by lavender_lass WA zone 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 11, 09 at 15:17

I would like to know if anyone has potpourri "recipes" that they would like to share. It doesn't necessarily need to be all herbs grown in the garden, since I like things like cinnamon and cloves, which I'll never grow in zone 4 :)

While I would love ideas for the kitchen, bath and living areas, what I'm really looking for is something in the bedroom. I'm just redecorating our master bedroom in a somewhat Victorian style. Think casual Victorian, if that's possible. I'm using rich colors, but mostly solid materials (no pattern except for a bit of damask) and I want something that would be appropriate for the room. If I go over the top, my husband wouldn't be comfortable, so it's fairly masculine, except for some accent fabrics and accessories.

Does anyone have an old recipe that might reflect the Victorian country home? I would love to put something a bit "romantic" in a cut crystal bowl. Roses are great, but I'm open to suggestions :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite potpourri blend

When I think Victorian, I think roses, violets, and lavender.

As long as it is natural scents that are not overpowering and overdone, I do not think your husband would be uncomfortable with the fragrance. Although I seem to recall reading once that one of the most popular fragrances with men was vanilla. It's a wonderful scent too.

Be sure to ask this on the Herbs forum as well. I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions from people who don't read this forum, which focuses mainly on the medicinal use of herbs.

FataMorgana

o

FataMorgana- Thanks for the suggestion. I think roses, lavender and violets are a wonderful choice. Vanilla sounds interesting too.

o

Here's a recipe from Barbara Milo Ohrbach's book, "The Scented Room", which I have made dozens of times. Men seem to like this as much as women.
5 oz lavender flowers
2 oz blue malva flowers
1 oz cornflowers (I often use larkspur)
3 oz whole cloves
1 oz cinnamon sticks, broken
1 oz cassia chips
1/2 oz powdered allspice
1/2 oz powdered cinnamon
1 oz powdered orrisroot
15 drops lavender oil

She also has a recipe called, "Cherchez's Old English Rose Potpourri" which is my favorite. Get her book from the library. It was printed in 1986

o

Thank you Herbalbetty. I love that there are "recipes" I can follow. The Old English Rose Potpourri sounds wonderful. What roses do you use?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here