Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrd33

Question about tinctures/extracts...

jrd33
17 years ago

Hello,

I want to make a well-rounded tincture/extract that contains many different herbs that help the body fight infections, disease, and have antioxidant and healing effects.

Things like garlic, ginseng, yerba mate, green tea, st johns wort, etc.

I have a list of herbs I am interested in using and I am curious if it is bad or dangerous to put this many herbs into one tincture.

Are there any possible conflicts or overdoses that could arise from taking an extract with as many ingredients as these?

Bee Pollen

Blessed Thistle

Cranberry

Citrus Aurantium

Dandelion

Echinacea

Flaxseed Oil

Garlic

Ginger Root

Ginko Biloba

Ginseng

Grape Seed

Green Tea

Hawthorn Berries

Licorice Root

Marshmallow

Milk Thistle

Mint

Pau d' Arco

Peppermint

Plantain

Rosemary

Schizandra Fruit

St. John's Wort

Thyme

Yarrow

Yerba Mate

Thanks for any info!

Comments (8)

• Judy_B_ON
    17 years ago

Herbs can and do interact with one another. If two herbs both have the same action then you may get too much. Worse, if two herbs have the same side effect, you will get a double dose of that too.

That is a huge list, you should get a good herbal reference text, look up actions and interactions and design a more focused tincture.

• warren56
    10 years ago

My own favorite tincture combo is Prunella vulgaris and Spilanthes acmella. Cross Vine is a good addition---Cross Vine leaves are a 'blood purifier' and an effective substitute for Ginseng (Saving the life of many a Ginseng plant).

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

I agree, a more focused tincture as well as learning more about the actions of each of the herbs listed would probably be the best course of action.

FataMorgana

• chervil2
    10 years ago

Many on your list are wonderful herbs for culinary use. You could enjoy eating your way to better health with nutritious dishes using more herbs that include ginger, garlic, mint, rosemary, and thyme. In addition you might want to sip on green tea, dandelion root, or peppermint infusion during your meals. Nourishing and delicious food and drink makes for great medicine.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Warren56, how do I take the cross vine leaves?

• kaliaman
    10 years ago

for daily health maintenance an herbal tea blend will likely work better than a tincture. include nutritive herbs like nettles, red clover, alfalfa, chamomile, etc. along with any herbs that you specifically need or want to include for health or flavor. fatamorgana's suggestion to learn more about herbal actions is a good one, with that information you can better formulate your own teas or tinctures. 'the way of herbs' by michael tierra is a great book for beginner's (and others) as it explains all this and more. good luck and have fun with it!

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual by James Green is a very friendly and informative book for beginners.

Making Plant Medicine by Richo Cech is also a must for herbal medicine makers.

FataMorgana

• kaliaman
    10 years ago

fata just listed the two best books on the topic of medicine making, ditto those recommendations!