Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about tinctures/extracts...

Posted by jrd33 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 25, 06 at 15:25

Hello,

I want to make a well-rounded tincture/extract that contains many different herbs that help the body fight infections, disease, and have antioxidant and healing effects.

Things like garlic, ginseng, yerba mate, green tea, st johns wort, etc.

I have a list of herbs I am interested in using and I am curious if it is bad or dangerous to put this many herbs into one tincture.

Are there any possible conflicts or overdoses that could arise from taking an extract with as many ingredients as these?

Bee Pollen
Blessed Thistle
Cranberry
Citrus Aurantium
Dandelion
Echinacea
Flaxseed Oil
Garlic
Ginger Root
Ginko Biloba
Ginseng
Grape Seed
Green Tea
Hawthorn Berries
Licorice Root
Marshmallow
Milk Thistle
Mint
Pau d' Arco
Peppermint
Plantain
Rosemary
Schizandra Fruit
St. John's Wort
Thyme
Yarrow
Yerba Mate

Thanks for any info!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about tinctures/extracts...

Herbs can and do interact with one another. If two herbs both have the same action then you may get too much. Worse, if two herbs have the same side effect, you will get a double dose of that too.

That is a huge list, you should get a good herbal reference text, look up actions and interactions and design a more focused tincture.

o

My own favorite tincture combo is Prunella vulgaris and Spilanthes acmella. Cross Vine is a good addition---Cross Vine leaves are a 'blood purifier' and an effective substitute for Ginseng (Saving the life of many a Ginseng plant).

o

I agree, a more focused tincture as well as learning more about the actions of each of the herbs listed would probably be the best course of action.

FataMorgana

o

Many on your list are wonderful herbs for culinary use. You could enjoy eating your way to better health with nutritious dishes using more herbs that include ginger, garlic, mint, rosemary, and thyme. In addition you might want to sip on green tea, dandelion root, or peppermint infusion during your meals. Nourishing and delicious food and drink makes for great medicine.

o

Warren56, how do I take the cross vine leaves?

o

for daily health maintenance an herbal tea blend will likely work better than a tincture. include nutritive herbs like nettles, red clover, alfalfa, chamomile, etc. along with any herbs that you specifically need or want to include for health or flavor. fatamorgana's suggestion to learn more about herbal actions is a good one, with that information you can better formulate your own teas or tinctures. 'the way of herbs' by michael tierra is a great book for beginner's (and others) as it explains all this and more. good luck and have fun with it!

o

The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual by James Green is a very friendly and informative book for beginners.

Making Plant Medicine by Richo Cech is also a must for herbal medicine makers.

FataMorgana

o

fata just listed the two best books on the topic of medicine making, ditto those recommendations!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here