Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I eat evening primrose seeds from my garden ?

Posted by flowersandthings MidAtlantic 6/7 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 21, 04 at 16:28

So evening primrose oil is so expensive (oenthora biennis) and I have some growing in my garden..... since the oil is taken from the seed do you think I could just eat the seeds?????? Say sprinkle them in yogurt or in bread like poppy seeds..... I know flax seed can be eaten whole (better crushed) to get the benefits of the oil..... can the same be done with evening primrose? Are there any warnings or indications from eating the whole seed? Just curious...... :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I eat evening primrose seeds from my garden ?

Whole plant is edible as a vegetable. Add flowers to salads, or use them as a garnish. Use leaves in salads. Seeds can be chewed, or cooked in breads and biscuits, or steamed, or roasted in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 180C and sprinkled on food like pepper. Leaves and roots can be eaten fresh. The roots are sometimes eaten like olives as an after-dinner treat, or boiled like potatoes.

As with most herbs, the health benefits can come with a price tag. Evening Primrose should be used under professional supervision, and should not be used by people suffering from epilepsy. I suggest you research further.

o
more on Can I eat evening primrose seeds from my garden ?

Gather the seeds when ripe. Grind them with mortar and pestle, store in a cool, dry place and add them to muffins, cakes, biscuits (cookies), home-made muesli, soups, stews etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here