Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brightstargazer

Seeds in the Rose Hip?

brightstargazer
16 years ago

Should one remove the seeds in the rose hip if your going to make rose hip jam? or do you run the hole hip through the calendar?

Comments (6)

• misieu26
    16 years ago

I'M AFRAID I DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO THAT QUESTION BUT THOUGHT YOU MAY LIKE TO KNOW THE FOLLOWING ABOUT ROSEHIPS...(I'M CURRENTLY RESEARCHING INTO HERBS FOR MEDICINAL AND HEALING PROPERTIES AFTER BEING INTRODUCED TO A HERBAL DRINK ALVEO THAT CONSISTS OF 26 OF THE WORLDS LEADING HERBS :

ROSEHIPS (ROSA CANINA)

ROSEHIPS ARE 1 OF THE MOST NATURAL AND FREELY AVAILABLE SOURCES OF VITAMIN C AS WELL AS CONTAINING OTHER IMPORTANT VITAMINS MINERALS AND TRACE ELEMENTS. ITS RICHNESS IN VITAMIN C MAKES IT ESPECIALLY ATTRACTIVE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST INFECTIONS, SORE THROAT AND AS A PREVENTATIVE MEASURE AGAINST COLDS.

TRADITIONALLY RECOMMENDED FOR URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS RHEUMATISM GOUT KIDNEY DISEASE WATER RETENTION AND SCIATICA AS WELL AS A GENERAL AID AGAINST EXHAUSTION.

HOPE YOU FIND IT INTERESTING

• rusty_blackhaw
    16 years ago

The rose hip recipes I've seen typically advise removing the seeds. One site had this warning: "A research student wrote me with the following cautionary note:
    "Anyone using rose hips for cooking should remove all the seeds. They are covered with sliver-hairs that, when ingested, irritate the digestive system and cause what the aboriginal people call "itchy bottom disease."

Ouch.

• rusty_blackhaw
    16 years ago

The rose hip recipes I've seen typically advise removing the seeds. One site had this warning: "A research student wrote me with the following cautionary note:
    "Anyone using rose hips for cooking should remove all the seeds. They are covered with sliver-hairs that, when ingested, irritate the digestive system and cause what the aboriginal people call "itchy bottom disease."

Ouch.

• misieu26
    16 years ago

I AGREE WITH THE ABOVE WHEN I WAS YOUNGER KIDS USED TO TAKE THE SEEDS OUT OF ROSEHIPS AS THEY SAID THE FIBRES ETC WERE LIKE ITCHING POWDER SO WOULD PUT THEM DOWN PEOPLES BACKS :( NOT VERY NICE SO I CAN SEE WHERE THE ITCHY BOTTOM DISEASE COMES FROM...SOUNDS HORRIBLE....I M NOT AN EXPERT AT ALL BUT THE JUST THE THOUGHT OF THAT WOULD MEKE ME DE SEED QUICKLY :)

• sam_md
    16 years ago

misieu26, did anyone ever tell you that posting in all caps is like shouting?
    As far as making rose hip jam is concerned, you have to heat it right? It may be that they make good jam, I don't know, but it has to be repeated that heat destroys vitamins.
    Sam

• raptorrunner
    16 years ago

some folks can see all caps more easily. myself, i skip those posts since it makes me feel like i have to back up from the monitor.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions