Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenpo1972

Constant cough...

Kenpo1972
18 years ago

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good herbal tea that can help with a cronic cough. I have recently quit smoking, for the second time, and I know the cough is normal...but good Lord it is truely annoying.

Any suggestions on some relief?

Comments (8)

• lucy
    18 years ago

What about checking with an MD first, to be sure it is just a reaction to quitting (whatever happened before)? At least you could get an x-ray, or he could 'hear' the cough and make sure you are ok (if you've been smoking so long). Quitting does not rule out unmentionable problems that take a long time to show up.

• sorrel
    18 years ago

Mullein leaf tea is the best thing for an annoying, nagging cough. Don't know about Ohio, but here mullein grows all over the place.

• herbalbetty
    18 years ago

Yeah, you definitely have to find out why you are coughing. It is just a tickle in the back of your throat, or are your lungs trying to expectorate all that crap that years of smoking bring on? If you are getting rid of stuff, you don't necessarily want to stop the cough (okay, at night so you can get some sleep). If you are expectorating, is the mucous clear? yellow? bloody-tinged? brown?

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

or... you could have asthma... which I have, and it manifests as an annoying cough... took me years to figure out it was asthma. But, mullein being one of my favorite herbs... if it happens to be asthma, SMOKING mullein helps! yes it does! not for very long, but I have tried it, and it's a temporary fix.

• Judy_B_ON
    18 years ago

A chronic cough is never normal. As an ex smoker, you need to see your doctor to check for chronic obstructive lung disease and congestive heart failure as well as the big C, all of which can cause a chronic cough and will get worse without treatment.

• rusty_blackhaw
    18 years ago

Definitely get a checkup to find out if there is an underlying problem that needs to be addressed, rather than relying on symptomatic relief.

Along with things others have mentioned, allergies (resulting in postnasal drip), some drugs and acid reflux can cause a chronic cough.

• shortarse_hedgewitch
    18 years ago

i agree with the checkup, buut, if you can get it, as it will grow practically anywhere, try purple sage
    drink it and gargle with it. not only does it help but its tasty.

p.s. chocolate is as good for coughs as the strongest over the counter cough medicine. also tasty too : )

• Xixchi
    18 years ago

Is this the only way to prepare this....... OZ. of dried, or the corresponding quantity of fresh leaves being boiled for 10 minutes in a pint of milk, and when strained, given warm, thrice daily, with or without sugar........you cant just steep it in hot water?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions