Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rusty_blackhaw

Fake Cancer Cures - Update

rusty_blackhaw
15 years ago

The number of phony cancer cures targeted by a task force working in three countries to crack down on Internet fakery and worthless products has reached 187.

"The products contain ingredients such as bloodroot, shark cartilage, coral calcium, cesium, ellagic acid, Cat's Claw, an herbal tea called Essiac, and mushroom varieties such as Agaricus Blazeii, Shitake, Maitake, and Reishi...

Examples of fraudulent claims for these products include:

"Treats all forms of cancer"

"Causes cancer cells to commit suicide!"

"80% more effective than the world's number one cancer drug"

"Skin cancers disappear"

"Target cancer cells while leaving healthy cells alone"

"Shrinks malignant tumors"

"Avoid painful surgery, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, or other conventional treatments"

The Warning Letters (sent to the offending marketers) are part of the FDA's ongoing efforts, in collaboration with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and Canadian government agencies, to prevent deceptive products from reaching consumers. The initiative originated from consumer complaints and a web search for fraudulent cancer products conducted by the FDA, FTC and members of the MexicoUnited StatesÂCanada Health Fraud Working Group. Earlier this year, FTC sent Warning Letters to 112 Web sites falsely promoting cancer "treatments" and referred several others to foreign authorities."

Here's a list of the 187 products involved in the crackdown.

More here on the FTC's Operation False Hope, including resources for consumers and tips on ways to spot health fraud.

Comments (70)

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

From the forum main page:

"This forum is for the discussion of herbalism, the use of herbs for medicinal purposes."

There's plenty of room there for different viewpoints. Participants are free to believe that science is an enemy of herbalism (unless a particular study seems to support their views), or they may view science-based herbalism as a great improvement on testimonials and quackery.

I'm not sure why some alt med enthusiasts are intent on silencing those with different views, but it makes them look insecure and hostile.

Peace, bro. :)

• thaugen
    12 years ago

Hey Dude,

Why you so defensive? You single-handedly killed the Herbalism Forum.

Be Proud!

Tom

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hope you had nice holidays, Tom.

• kk1515
    12 years ago

i work with cancer patients using herbs and alternative treatments and can say with authority based on personal experience that the so called 'quack cures' being demonized in this thread can and do work...different ones work for different folks. not all cancers are the same and no two people react the same way to the same type of cancer.

to claim otherwise is, in my humble opinion, irresponsible and dangerous (if it prevents someone who could benefit from being open to the possibilities)

again, my two cents. k

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"i work with cancer patients using herbs and alternative treatments and can say with authority based on personal experience that the so called 'quack cures' being demonized in this thread can and do work..."

Please cite any good evidence that shark cartilage, Essiac, coral calcium etc. "can and do work" against cancer, using something other than undocumented, anonymous Internet testimonials.

It is irresponsible and dangerous to encourage people to resort to such quackery, especially if they are led to utilize it instead of evidence-based treatment.

• kk1515
    12 years ago

my evidence is based on personal experience working with my clients. if you (eric) were a respectful person who exhibited any interest at all in real learning then i'd be happy to expound in great detail. as it is, i consider it a waste of my time.

now i see what many other posters in various threads here mean about eric_oh...he's not here to learn but to be a bully know it all. i don't tolerate bully boys very well, they are such a bore and waste of time.

instead of directing comments toward the topic being discussed eric's posts often contain personal attacks and insults. what a negative influence that is here! tom is right, you ruined this forum man!

i have only been a member of this forum for a few days but am outta here, heading back to the herb forums where folks who want to share and learn hang out and people like this are blocked. too bad, this could've been a good thing.

if you are a member bothered by this suggest you check out other forums, there are boatloads where no bully boys are allowed : )

i expect eric will deliver a personal insult upon reading this, its what he does apparently. i'm laughing at the certainty of it and knowing i'll never read it!

goodbye serious seekers, thanks for the discussion. k

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Disagreeing with an opinion is not a "personal attack".

On the other hand, referring to another poster as a "bore" and "bully" is a personal attack and creates a negative atmosphere that discourages conversation.

We can't learn anything from a poster who answers a request for more information with insults and then announces they're leaving.

• theherbalist2012
    12 years ago

Eric:

Are you still around? I heard that you had died. lol

You may not have made a "personal attack" on KK, but your insistence on documented proof kinda' undermines a person's personal and professional value. Many of us in the natural health field glow inside when we see the results of applying herbal science to an otherwise "incurable" disease. That's our reward for having developed a particular skill.

On the other hand, many of the documented proofs that you require are usually driven by scientific egos of people who are trying to scramble to the top of the media heap for personal recognition. How shallow is that!

So, instead of doubting KK's experiences to YOUR liking, why not trust him as a professional and share in his moment?

I'm just sayin'.

theherbalist2012
    Prescott, Arizona

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Charlie - is that you (looks like you changed your handle here)?

Sorry, but questioning a particular belief or statement is not a personal insult, even if the person who holds that belief strongly identifies with it. Responding with insults and gibes is not appropriate, nor is suggesting that researchers who've invested years of their lives in training and study are shallow, ego-driven people.

What's most helpful to this forum is good evidence that herbal treatments work, and information that will help us avoid the ineffective and potentially dangerous ones. If all an advocate has are testimonials (and we've seen how flawed and self-serving those can be), that's important to know.

• theherbalist2012
    12 years ago

Yes, testimonials alone without backing it up with scientific principles can be shallow and self-serving. That flaw can certainly apply to all walks of the scientific community, even researchers who invest years of their lives in training and study. Several years in the scientific community doesn't always make a skilled profession. Time in ones field is not a pre-requisite. After all, look at all the decades modern science has dedicated to finding a cure for this or that illness with absolutely no practical results. I'm just sayin'.

Yes, I'm Charlie. Just like to pop my head in once in awhile to shake up your world a bit. lol

Eric, what part of the world do you live in? I'm in Arizona.

theherbalist2012

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"After all, look at all the decades modern science has dedicated to finding a cure for this or that illness with absolutely no practical results. I'm just sayin'."

Like HIV/AIDS. Whoops, no, what used to be an automatic death sentence is now a long disease-free life for many. Or hepatitis C - no, much more treatable (and even eradicated) for lots of patients. Or successful prevention and treatment strategies for cancers, heart disease and other chronic illnesses.

I'm not sure what the point is in dissing evidence-based medicine, except as a handy distraction from recognizing that there are fake cancer cures, some of them herbal.

• theherbalist2012
    12 years ago

Sorry, Eric. You really believe that AIDS patients heal from that disease and now live a disease-free life?!?!?! My latest patients who have come to me with hep c were so disappointed in modern medical regimen that they suffered for years while hoping for a cure from them.

Eradicated??? Are you kidding me? Just because a disease loses popularity in the medical media journals doesn't mean that it's eradicated. It only means we don't hear about it through the normal media since it doesn't make for headline news. And what's behind headline news? Money??

You can't qualify nor quantify "prevention" of any chronic disease. So, you're observation is tainted.

The same aforementioned problems apply to the natural health field sciences as well. The whole world is kinda' screwed up, don't you think?

Again, money and egos is behind most of it.

theherbalist2012

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

theherbalist2012: "(Hepatitis C) Eradicated??? Are you kidding me? Just because a disease loses popularity in the medical media journals doesn't mean that it's eradicated."

Yes, modern medical therapy has made it possible to eradicate hepatitis C infection.

"In summary, chronic HCV infection is curable...and with cure comes improved liver histology and more favorable clinical outcomes."

And it'd be hard to miss the developments in recent years that have made it possible for HIV-positive people to live long and productive lives.

"A 20-year-old HIV-positive person starting antiretroviral (ARV) therapy today can expect to live, on average, to the age of 69, according to new calculations published July 26 in The Lancet."

That's a dramatic improvement when you recall the sad outcomes in the early years after HIV became an epidemic (without antiretroviral drugs, HIV progresses to AIDS within a decade on average and less in some circumstances).

These are just two examples of the many improvements in evidence-based care in recent years.

But since this is a herbalism forum, Charlie, what's your opinion of the herbal remedies mentioned in the opening post on the crackdown on fake cancer cures (specifically, do you think it's a good idea for cancer patients to rely on Essiac tea, or for those with skin cancer to attempt to burn off their lesions with corrosive bloodroot salves?).

Thanks.

• theherbalist2012
    12 years ago

I can't comment on cancer because that's not the area of greatest experience in my field. To say otherwise is illegal and unethical of me.

Eric, just quoting someone else's comments about modern medical cancer treatments gives no credibility to the issue at hand. There are many of us on this site who are in the trenches with actual experience in treating patients. I don't believe you've ever shared your own experiences that would add more weight to your comments. You can't just copy and paste what others have said about treatments. Otherwise, it's merely credulity (blind faith).

I wish you had more to add based on your own experiences. But alas! You're not a practitioner, are you? You seem to be a sharp, intelligent guy. Just a little naive about the so-called accomplishments (or lack thereof) of modern medicine.

There is a lot of fake herbal cures. I'm just not part of it.

theherbalist2012

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Charlie: "I can't comment on cancer because that's not the area of greatest experience in my field. To say otherwise is illegal and unethical of me.
    Eric, just quoting someone else's comments about modern medical cancer treatments gives no credibility to the issue at hand."

So you don't have sufficient experience treating cancer and can't comment on cancer quackery because it would be "illegal and unethical" (how exactly?), but quoting experts in the field lacks credibility?

I diagnose cancer on a daily basis as a pathologist and work with oncologists and other physicians who treat it (as well as participating in regular tumor conferences), so I'm familiar with evidence-based treatments and outcomes (as well as the results of relying on quackery). Of course, people can say anything about their personal experiences in a forum such as this and there's no way to confirm it, which is why linking to respected and accurate sources is the best way to establish credibility.

• theherbalist2012
    12 years ago

How many cancer patients (or anything else for that matter) have you cured? Personal experience, please.

theherbalist2012

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gosh, none Charlie, since that's not my job.

It's odd though that while you apparently do treat some cancer patients as a herbalist, you say you can't comment on your work, but you require that I do so.

How about sharing any published case series of yours, or other documented therapy outcomes (unverifiable testimonials don't count)?

• theherbalist2012
    12 years ago

If I led you to believe that I treat cancer, then I apologize. I don't treat cancer patients.

I'm more interested in hearing professionals' first-hand experiences. What experience do you have in personally making anyone well? And why do you feel that someone's writing down things gives more credibility than someone who doesn't? Results are more important than the paper work.

Eric, this documentation stuff is sad. I understand, though, that it's all you have in your career. If you don't have the paperwork, you have nothing. You'll discover someday that in the overall scheme of things, your job makes you nothing more than an errand boy. I'll bet you never get to see your efforts come to fruition with the end result of seeing a patient "cured." The whole modern medical system has failed humans.

Do you know how many research results have been falsified? You're part of a corrupt system. Admittedly, there are the same scandalous things going on in the natural health industry.

Eric, when you go into a hospital or a research lab or icu or any other modern medical facility, how much of what you see is the science of medicine? The answer is "none." What you see is the science of technology. It has nothing to do with a healing art.

I'm ranting. I apologize.

theherbalist2012

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Charlie: "And why do you feel that someone's writing down things gives more credibility than someone who doesn't? Results are more important than the paper work."

Someone who is highly trained in their field, knows laboratory techniques, respects the scientific method, follows ethical guidelines, and conducts painstaking research which must pass muster with his/her professional colleagues and has that research published so that it can be reviewed and replicated by other scientists, carries a great deal more weight with me than a person who sets up a website to promote a product or service and justifies his commercial enterprise with unverifiable testimonials.

We're just going to have to disagree on who is more trustworthy.

"...when you go into a hospital or a research lab or icu or any other modern medical facility, how much of what you see is the science of medicine? The answer is "none."

I suggest that you spend some time in a research lab or intensive care unit, meet and talk with the caring and dedicated people there, before dismissing their work so casually.

To get back to the subject of this thread: do you think it's a good idea for people to self-diagnose their skin lesions as cancer and attempt to burn them off with a caustic bloodroot salve? Should cancer patients dismiss evidence-based healthcare workers as unworthy technocrats and instead try to cure their cancers with essiac tea?

• theherbalist2012
    12 years ago

You're in a system where the blind lead the blind (" painstaking research which must pass muster with his/her professional colleagues")

I've spent much time in labs, icu, etc. during the Vietnam era. I was in the Naval Medical Corps. Dedication and belief in what you're doing doesn't necessarily equate into scientific accuracy. The modern medical world that you're a part has failed to heal people.

By the way, you're pointing out a flaw about natural health care on which I totally agree with you. I cringe when I hear of people using the blood root salve. Often times they get goaded into using it because some modern OR natural health care professional told them that they have a "pre-cancerous" spot on their face. What hogwash! Then they proceed to burn a hole in their skin with blood root salve. A very improper use of blood root. I use blood root, but I'm a professional. And believe it or not, I don't use it in a salve. It's actually good for warming cold damp conditions of the lungs. (Chinese herbology terminology.) But if it's not used properly, it can kill someone.

Some day, I hope you don't wake up after all your student loans are paid off and realize that your education and career actually made no difference in all at helping people get well. People get well sometimes in spite of modern medicine, not due to modern medicine.

On the other hand, trauma . . . That's a different story.

theherbalist2012

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Say, Charlie...would you happen to be Charles Benghauser of Prescott, Arizona? A fellow by that name used to run a commercial forum over at a certain popular alternative medicine website, calling himself The Herbalist. Was that you?

They recall Mr. Benghauser quite well, including his habit of answering health queries by promoting his expensive "liver tonic" ($300 for a liver tonic - wow, that really must cure what ails you!).

Charlie: "Some day, I hope you don't wake up after all your student loans are paid off and realize that your education and career actually made no difference in all at helping people get well."

I guess I can't match Mr. Benghauser's background as described over at that other forum. It makes interesting reading.

Google is a very helpful tool. :)

• theherbalist2012
    12 years ago

Yes, that's me. But the liver tonics aren't $300.00. You've got something wrong, Eric.

By the way, is this information meant to discredit me somehow? It's strange that when you don't like something, you resorted to an attempt to discredit me.

theherbalist2012

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

And another irony meter goes up in smoke.

• gravestone22
    12 years ago

you never no

• Greenorange-1
    12 years ago

This really is my first time i visit here. I identified numerous entertaining stuff inside your weblog, particularly its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I'm not the only one getting all of the leisure right here! Preserve up the good perform.

• Smurfishy
    12 years ago

Who is to say that some of the "fakes" on your list does not help? All you have seemed to accomplish is to say that it has not been proved by the fda or studied. Do you know how many medicines, immunization additives, pain treatments have either not been approved by the fda for the use given, not studied on humans, or studied on children, it is just given. Why? Because supposedly the good surpasses the evils, OR it has been done for a number of years. Without studies how do we even know what these evils are, how am I to be a an educated consumer?

Yet the bad rap goes to the herbal products that have been used to treat different conditions by the medical professionals of the day for hundreds or thousands of years. I would rather trust time proven methods in compared to knew medicines that came from who knows where, made from who knows what, that's full range of side affects is speculative at best.

Question is, who is going to fund the studies on natural medicines? It has been explained to me that no one will because it can't be marketed, they can't put a patent on something that grows in the backyard. If its not going to make them money then its not worth testing. at best there has been some studies on certain herbs to be used in conjunction with a synthetic drug. This was patented.

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Who is to say that some of the "fakes" on your list does not help?"

Those who've studied cancer quackery, using research studies and clinical observation. Bloodroot for instance has been talked about previously in this forum. Caustic bloodroot salves burn away normal and diseased skin indiscriminately and can fail to eradicate microscopic tumor extensions, leaving you disfigured and at risk of recurrent or metastatic cancer. Essiac tea has never been shown to cure cancer and knowledgeable herbalists shy away from it.

"Do you know how many medicines, immunization additives, pain treatments have either not been approved by the fda for the use given, not studied on humans, or studied on children, it is just given. Why? Because supposedly the good surpasses the evils, OR it has been done for a number of years."

Lots of health quackery has been around for a long time. In China, the idea that consuming the preserved parts of dead relatives cured disease, has existed for hundreds or even thousands of years. Should that "therapy" get a pass because it's ancient?

"Question is, who is going to fund the studies on natural medicines? It has been explained to me that no one will because it can't be marketed, they can't put a patent on something that grows in the backyard. If its not going to make them money then its not worth testing."

Drug companies fund studies on "natural medicines" all the time. Examples of cancer drugs derived from plants include taxol and vincristine. These sorts of drugs are constantly being studied, tested and patented and more are available all the time. Beyond the fact that they make money for drug companies, there's a built-in self-interest in developing them. This may come as a surprise to you, but drug company execs, researchers and government employees (and their families) all get cancer and other diseases just like the rest of us. They'd love for there to be more and better cures.

• ThrivingDad
    12 years ago

It's such a shame that people are out pedaling these fake cures. If we simply lived balanced lives, that would go far towards reducing the chances of having cancer. And if we do have the misfortune of getting cancer, I would still expect cures to come from Epidemiologists and other related experts rather than from these wellness quacks.

• jolj
    11 years ago

If anyone can prove these "Fake Cures" are real.
    That is they cure 50% of the cancers out there, then why are there not studies to prove them?
    You can not tell me that the big bad drug companies would not jump at a cure to sale.
    I am not a Dr. or herbalist, just a common folk.

• kk1515
    11 years ago

big pharma can't make any money from alternative cures, that is why there are no studies.

they have a vested interest in keeping folks sick so they buy the medicines big pharmaceutical companies manufacture.

anytime you wonder about something like this remember to follow the money!

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So, no one connected to Big Pharma (researchers, other employees, executives etc.) ever gets cancer, or has relatives or friends who do? Do you believe all of them are sociopaths who don't care if they and their loved ones live or die, and so they deliberately suppress cancer cures?

Have you really thought about this?

• kk1515
    11 years ago

extensively. and have worked in both industries.

decisions like this are made by upper management and i have no way of knowing what their personal psychology is or the choices they make for their own health care. i imagine they seek out the best whether its alternative or mainstream for their own use, it'd be the human thing to do, we want the best for ourselves and our families.

i don't want to be rude eric_oh but i have followed this forum for awhile now and would rather not engage with you personally and directly on any question. because i separate myself from negative folks doesn't mean i don't like them, it just means i like myself more. thanks for understanding.

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As you wish, but you did choose to post in a thread I started, and forum guidelines do not support demands by anyone that posters not respond to them.

"decisions like this are made by upper management and i have no way of knowing what their personal psychology is or the choices they make for their own health care. i imagine they seek out the best whether its alternative or mainstream for their own use, it'd be the human thing to do, we want the best for ourselves and our families."

So, first you said Big Pharma wants to keep people sick to make money, but now you suggest that upper management wants the best for themselves and their families. I agree with that statement - but how do you reconcile it with the belief that these people suppress cancer cures for money? They'd be condemning themselves and their families to death.

As far as them seeking out alternative cures en masse (and in secret), the conspiracy theorists would surely have uncovered the story by now if it were true.

• kk1515
    11 years ago

unless a person has been living under a rock they understand that corporations rip the public off for the sake of the almightly dollar all the time. read about it in the daily news.

individuals often make different choices for themselves than they do for others.

this is not a secret conspiracy, its well known that big pharma operates like this. and not just in the u.s. big pharma eu style is egregious too.

human nature is not rocket surgery

done. if you wanna argue the point do it with someone else.

• RosemaryOs
    11 years ago

6 years ago I was diagnosed with bladder cancer. Shortly after diagnosis, I had a dream about the burdock root.
    Afterwards, I went to the local health food store to ask for help with my cancer. The advise I was given was Essiac Tea, which one of the ingredients is burdock root. I took the tea for a long time after diagnosis. I had two initial surgeries to remove the primary tumor and "residual" tumor, but no surgeries since then. I have not had a return of bladder cancer, though my Doctor says it will come back someday. Cancer is like that.

I can't attribute my "cure" to any one thing. My bladder was also assaulted with a serum of diluted tuberculosis bacteria, many times over! My guess is that the cancer was not as aggressive as was subjectively determined by pathologists, however, I do not discount my dream, nor the story behind Essiac Tea.

I'm not saying that it is a "cure." I just know my own story.

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's more on how modified TB bacilli (BCG) are used to treat bladder cancer.

And more on essiac tea.

Thankfully, the previous poster used proven methods to eradicate her bladder cancer, in addition to using essiac tea.

• kk1515
    11 years ago

rosemary o,

so glad you're doing well, celebrate each day!

• lizmerrill
    11 years ago

truth be known, shouldn't doctors be paid on an incentive basis, i.e., if the treatment is effacious, then he gets paid, if not, just bare expenses gets reimbursed by the patient. You would be surprised to see how many doctors would move from the upper class to below the middle class in income.
    btw, all lawyers should be compensated in the same way.
    you should be paid for performance, not the label of your profession!!!

• theherbalist2012
    11 years ago

Cayce:

I feel for you. I, too, lost my dad in the hands of the modern medicos. Here's the kicker: At the time, I was in the Naval Medical Corps during the Vietnam thing. There wasn't a thing that I nor they could do to keep him from dying at the age of 63.

Modern medicine doesn't have the means nor the know-how to cure disease.

theherbalist
    charlie

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Modern medicine doesn't have the means nor the know-how to cure disease."

So Charlie, if you suddenly developed severe crushing chest pain, what Chinese herbs would you take?

I was recently re-reading one of my Euell Gibbons books to find a serviceberry recipe* and found Gibbons' insights on herbal and mainstream medical care. Of course, his emphasis was on using herbs for food and medicine, but he also made clear that we'd be foolish not to combine herbal remedies with mainstream treatments. His message unfortunately has not reached some participants in this forum.

*My wife makes terrific serviceberry muffins. We've had a bumper crop of berries this year (they are reportedly high in iron, as well as being very tasty).

• theherbalist2012
    11 years ago

Eric:

You're using one of the oldest approaches to convincing arguments. You're using exaggeration. That's a very good attempt on your part.

But believe me when I tell you that there are worse things than death. And your scenario isn't realistic in my case. I would sooner go out in the woods and die than to rely on the poor skills of a modern medico. They're the highest form of quackery civilization has ever experienced. So-called modern medicine is actually in the dark ages of the healing arts.

By the way, Euell Gibbons was NOT a professional herbalist. He just made a good name for himself and became popular especially on the cereal commercials ("Tastes like wild hickory nuts.")

I admire you for your credulity.

Charles
    theherbalist

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Congratulations on being immune to heart attacks and other disorders where proper medical attention is lifesaving. But not all of us are content to "go out in the woods and die" to make a point about disdain for modern medicine.

As for Euell Gibbons, I respect his practical knowledge and wisdom about combining herbal usage with mainstream medicine. He may not have been a "professional herbalist" - but what entitles you to that designation, Mr. Benghauser? I've seen it stated that you went to furniture refinishing school, have a flooring company and sell mobile homes, which is nice, but doesn't seem to relate to prescribing herbal treatments.

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Charlie, it's swell that you have a career in flooring. But since this is an herbalism forum and you were sneering at Euell Gibbons (who's written extensively on herbalism and natural foods and has provided good practical advice on herbs and health), it's reasonable to ask what your training and expertise in herbalism is. The advice you've given here thus far raises red flags.

Anyone who's been on this forum awhile knows I'm an M.D. (pathologist) with an interest in medicinal herbs. That doesn't make me a "professional" as regards herbalism, but my training (and background over a dozen years or more on this board) does help me evaluate health advice and claims made for herbs and supplements (and the people who promote them).

• theherbalist2012
    11 years ago

Eric:

Doesn't "MD" stand for mad dog?

I wouldn't give you two cents for the medical degree. I have no respect for that field.

And you have what? A dozen years of criticizing anyone who doesn't meet your standards? Don't judge, Eric.

Charlie
    theherbalist

• cacye
    11 years ago

In physiology I learned that everyone makes anywhere from 100,000 or so to 400,000 or so cancer cells A DAY. Your immune system kills them if they no longer kill themselves. Therefore, what makes your immune system better probably helps. Many herbs do this. What needs to be understood more is that because of the TH1 and TH2 energy pathways, different herbs work for different people. This needs more study. Diet has an effect as well, read the China Study. Those of you who have cancer, do what you can to live, regardless of what the medical community says if they didn't bother to find your problem until it was too late. I have known many people who went to doctor after doctor who found nothing until they were so sick they were dying. This is not uncommon, unfortunately.

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"In physiology I learned that everyone makes anywhere from 100,000 or so to 400,000 or so cancer cells A DAY."

This is a common claim on alt med sites, but I've never seen evidence to back it up. The misunderstanding seems to relate to the fact that cells in the body are constantly wearing out, developing chromosomal defects etc. and are removed by normal body physiologic mechanisms - but these are not "cancer" cells until they start to divide uncontrollably and form a tumor. Your body doesn't need help from herbs to carry out its immune functions, few if any herbs have been found to enhance immunity in human beings, and if they did we'd have to be concerned about nonspecific hyperimmunity leading to autoimmune diseases.

http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003042-pdf.pdf

"I have known many people who went to doctor after doctor who found nothing until they were so sick they were dying. This is not uncommon, unfortunately."

What is the rate of cancer detection by alternative practitioners? What early detection systems do they have to rival (for example) mammography and colonoscopy in the diagnosis of breast and colon cancers?

• lizmerrill
    9 years ago

Eric, are you gay?

• Sumatra
    9 years ago

Oh dear. Another cancer thread again? Is it really so necessary to bring these things up?

• rusty_blackhaw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This thread is six (6) years old, and was dormant for over two years until someone decided to make a "contribution".

Was it really necessary to revive the thread for that purpose, or to lament that it was started six years ago?

To add something that may be of actual interest to readers, here's an article on reality vs. hype in promotion of cannabis as a cancer cure.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm
More Discussions