Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tucker303

Dry Hands

tucker303
17 years ago

I see there have been a few posts about dry hands. Does anyone have any tried and true homemade recipes? I made something this evening...shea butter (heck, I'd trade this 5lb bucket too), beeswax, olive oil, vitamin e and tea tree oil. Was not thrilled with the smell. Feel sort of blah now....

Anyway...any recipes appreciated...or point me in the direction (if I missed posts).

I just need something for the hands and to avoid those cracks on the fingers that hurt. Remember,,,looking for homemade and tried and true.

Thanks...Rob

Comments (5)

• Heathen1
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well, I wouldn't use tea tree oil.. might dry your skin more.
    here is my recipe, and you could add more emusifying wax with bees wax for a thicker cream.

1.25 Emulsifying wax and Bees wax at least half Ewax.
    3/4 oz Steric or Cocoa Butter (hard oils)
    16 oz water
    3-4 oz oils and soft butters (cocoa butter, shea butter,olive oil etc.)

• herbalbetty
    17 years ago

Instead of shea butter (and the smell might be due to it being unrefined shea) try infused olive oils of comfrey and calendula, then make it into your salve with the beeswax and vitamin E. I make this and it is wonderfully healing to the skin and works even on cracked heels. I grow the herbs myself so I know they are organic and lovingly tended.

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

A very simple solution is to drink more water!

You should also check the soaps and detergents you are using.

If you have an aloe vera plant, it is a very effective moisturiser and will heal the skin too. Test a small area first to make sure you aren't allergic to it, but it you're not - slather it (the gel inside the leaves) on as often as you think about it.

BASIC SKIN LOTION
    30g beeswax or lanolin or cocoa butter or mixture ((More lanolin makes the cream thicker and tackier. More cocoa butter makes the cream thicker and oilier. Variations should not extend to more than 20ml either way.)
    90ml natural oil, including 10ml wheatgerm oil
    60ml herbal infusion, decoction of flower water
    3-6 drops essential oil

Melt the lanolin and/or beeswax in the top of a double boiler. Add the oil, beating steadily with a wooden spoon, then the water in a slow trickle. Remove from heat and stir steadily until the lotion has cooled to blood heat. Add essential oil. Stir in thoroughly and decant the lotion into a 300ml bottle. Screw on the cap and shake gently until the lotion has completely cooled.

Dry Skin: patchouli, carrot, sandalwood, lavender, geranium, chamomile.

Troubled/Sensitive Skin: thyme, clary sage, geranium, chamomile, red clover.

Melt 2 teaspoons beeswax, lanolin and 4 teaspoons almond oil over very gentle heat. Remove from heat Stir a pinch of borax into 2 teaspoons boiling water and add it to the lanolin mixture. Add 1 teaspoon wheatgerm oil and 2 drops lavender oil and beat well. Kept in a cool, dark place it should last for years.

RICH LAVENDER MOISTURISING CREAM: (this stuff is brilliant!)
    2 teaspoons beeswax
    2 teaspoons lanolin
    4 teaspoons almond oil
    1 teaspoon wheatgerm oil
    1/2 teaspoon Vitamin E oil (from capsules)
    2 drops lavender oil
    pinch borax
    2 teaspoons boiling water

Melt beeswax and almond oil over very gentle heat, remove from heat. Stir borax into boiling water, then add to the lanolin mixture. Add remaining ingredients and beat well. Store in a cool, dark place. Keeps for years.

FOR CHAPPED HANDS:
    Render down 250g suet, and strain into a basin. Mix in one cake of camphor, crushed, and a small bottle of glycerine. Store in a jar, and rub into the hands as often as possible, especially before going to bed at night.
    OR
    Use zinc and castor oil ointment, or petroleum jelly.
    OR
    Mix some olive oil into some cold mashed potato. Massage into the hands, leave for 10 minutes, then rinse off.

CALENDULA TREATMENT FOR ROUGHENED HANDS [this is excellent, too]:
    Put 30g calendula petals into a screwtop jar with 250ml sweet almond oil. Leave on a sunny windowsill for 3-4 weeks, shaking the jar once a day. Heat the oil until the petals become crisp, strain and pour the oil into jars. Rub into the hands as often as required.

• tucker303
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the info! I will plan on doing a small batch of something soon.

I do drink enough water probably...3 liters a day...more if it is hot and I work outside. The detergent is natural homemade. The problem arises when I work in dirt. It seems like the dirt sucks all the moisture out of my hands even when it is moist dirt. Oh well...I enjoy working with plants so....

• Shopwaterproof.com
    10 years ago

Natural Skin Cream To Heal Dry, Cracked Hands

Gardening can take a toll on your skin making giving you dry, cracked hands. Gardeners spend a lot of time outside exposing hands to soil and water which dry out the skin.

These elements pull the natural oil from the skin, causing dry, cracked hands. When the skin is dry, it not only cracks, it also bleeds.

Bleeding, dry, cracked hands can cause pain and make it hard to work.

The best way to prevent painful, dry cracked hands is to use Waterblocker, an all natural beeswax skin cream.
    Naturally, protect and heal dry, cracked hands

Waterblocker is so natural and safe, it can be used on babies and pets. There are only four all natural ingredients: beeswax, food grade mineral oil, distilled water, and the all natural mineral, borax.

Waterblocker™ Skin Cream
    Naturally, Handmade with Beeswax. SAFE for all ages.

Waterblocker is a hand-made, waterproof, natural beeswax skin cream for the whole body. It stops dry, cracked hands by protecting the natural oil in the skin from being removed by constant washing or by other antagonists such as paper, cardboard and fabrics.

Great for rough, cracked heals, runners use to prevent blistering and hot spots. Use on face as a moisturizer and to preserve the natural oil in your face. Long lasting �" one application lasts most users all day!!

Waterblocker is safe for children �" use on diaper rash and to prevent rash from occurring. Use as a safe, natural deodorant for underarm and feet. Bacteria that cause odor can’t grow in beeswax!!

Waterblocker also stops itch, burn and sting. Use on insect bites, poison ivy, rashes, burns, etc. to stop the itch, burn and sting. Use on skin conditions that exhibit itch, burn or sting or are dry and scaly or red. Use on pet’s hot spots to stop itching and scratching and promote rapid healing!! No scent, non-greasy, long lasting.

Especially effective for anyone who must wash hands many times each day or who must handle materials which dry out the skin such as fabric, paper, cardboard, gardening dirt or cold, dry winter weather. Waterblocker prevents the loss of oil from the skin regardless of what the skin is exposed to and thus prevents the damage which would normally occur under such conditions.

Skin that is already damaged will heal quickly and the damage will NOT return with regular use of Waterblocker.

If you are one of the millions of people who suffer from chronic dry skin problems, you have probably tried dozens of remedies, and they all failed to help your problem! For that reason, Honey Guy personally guarantees you will be satisfied with Waterblocker or he will refund the entire amount you paid including shipping and he will send you the postage to return the unused portion of your order! That is how sure Honey Guy is that Waterblocker will work for you!!

So don’t be discouraged. Let Mother Nature’s marvelous honey bee have a shot at solving your problem. With the unconditional Honey Guy guarantee, you’ve got nothing to lose! Even the ancient Egyptians made beeswax skin cream over 4,000 years ago. It could have been Cleopatra’s secret to keeping her face and skin looking young and bee-autiful!

Nothing is more time-tested and proven than natural beeswax skin cream �" and Honey Guy puts more beeswax in his products than any other manufacturer! The other ingredients are distilled water, food-grade mineral oil and the natural mineral, Borax as the binder which turns the mixture into a cream. A fourth grader can read and understand the label! Not many other products can say that.

Simple, Safe, Effective �" Waterblocker™ Skin Cream

For more information or to order our products visit our Website: www.shopwaterproof.com

Visit me at the Mother Earth News Fair this weekend in beautiful Seven Springs, PA!

Here is a link that might be useful: Shopwaterproof

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions