Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with geographic tongue

Posted by sissy_4 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 21, 04 at 22:10

I have read the other posting about geographic tongue, but I have some specific questions that I am hoping people with this problem can answer.
I know medical literature states that it is a condition that causes few if any side effects. However, I also read where some people have some discomfort with it. My infant daughter seems to have this condition, and since she can't talk to me I need others to tell me their experience.

1) Do you loose any feeling, or have unusual feeling in the tongue?
2) Does it hurt only with certain foods or texture, all the time, only when it is broken out?
3) Does it affect the taste?

My daughter nurses great, but is not wanting to eat anything else except some occassional fruit. I need to know if she is being picky, or is it her tongue bothering her. Also, she is constantly twisting, biting, and sucking on it. She doesn't cry if I touch it, but she doesn't want me to touch her tongue at all. All of this has shown up in the last two months (about the time we noticed the funny marks on her tongue.)

Thanks for any input you can give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with geographic tongue

Dear Sissy:

Usually the bald patches don't hurt unless they are really raw looking. But they do affect your sense of taste. Obviously if your taste buds are missing you won't be able to taste things there.

I have found that Geographic Tongue is generally nutritional in nature so if it is occuring in an infant you probably want to be sure to look at that because it can slow their development.

Did you know that most (prehaps as high as 90%)of pregnant women in the US are deficient in folic acid? Which can cause GT.

Geographic tongue is a tricky thing and doctors don't show much interest in finding a solution. Hope this helps.

o

have you had her checked for thrush? that's much more likely in an infant and can cause patches on the tongue, too. here's a site that has lots of info on nursing and thrush, too...

hth

Here is a link that might be useful: www.kellymom.com

o

multivitamins worked for me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here