Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckygal1

herbs you grow for tea

luckygal
15 years ago

Wondering which plants you all grow to use to make tea. I'd like to expand my herb garden next spring so I'm looking for ideas of plants to add.

I've grown the ubiquitous mints (one year I had about 10 different "flavors"), and also grown and used lemon balm, sage, anise hyssop, thymes, lavender, and rosemary for tea.

While I've known about yarrow's ability to stop bleeding I've never used it but have recently been reading about all it's other known uses. Do any of you use it as a tea or in other ways for any of it's other medicinal benefits? I have the white yarrow growing wild all over our property as well as red and yellow in my garden.

Comments (17)

• herbalbetty
    15 years ago

In addition to the plants you mention, other tea herbs I enjoy growing include lime balm, bergamot (especially rose-scented), anise hyssop, chamomile, rose, skullcap, passion flower, red clover, oats (for the straw), nettles, dill seed, fennel, lemon verbena, elder flowers, raspberry leaf, catnip, lemon catnip and scented geraniums. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting at the moment. White yarrow is a good styptic. If I cut my hand while gardening or with a kitchen knife, I mash up a little yarrow leaf and apply it to the cut. Stops the bleeding quickly. Yarrow blossoms also make a good tea to promote sweating during a cold. Good luck, luckygal!

• fatamorgana2121
    15 years ago

Herbalbetty covered most of what I would have suggested plant-wise for you. :)

I would suggest finding some good recipes (books or online) for tea blends and see what herbs in the recipes you like grow in your zone.

If you have the space, consider some trees and shrubs that have fruit or leaves that can be used as well.

You can also see what plants/trees/shrubs are native to your area that were used for tea by First Nations peoples. That will expand out the list of what can be grown in your zone.

Finally, head back to the Herbs forum and search back through old posts. Many people have asked about what plants can be used for tea in the past.

FataMorgana

• luckygal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks herbalbetty and fatamorgana for your responses. I've done a search and found several pertinent threads. Should have done that in the first place I guess. :)

I did wonder if others use yarrow for other than it's styptic use. I was amazed at the other medicinal uses for this herb which I consider such a weed.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

You should know that if you look long and hard enough virtually every herb is advertised as a cure for virtually every problem, even if it doesn't do anything. You have to look to the actually studies, because much of the information out there is based on anecdotes.

• luckygal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think most of us who use herbs are aware there have been few intensive, conclusive scientific studies done on the efficacy of many plants as treatment and the reasons for that.

Humankind has used herbs for food and enjoyment, as well as to treat various ills over millenia. Why should any of us stop doing so now? I don't need a *study* to tell me that I enjoy a cup of herbal tea. If I choose to drink something that has medicinal use, even if it's only of *anecdotal* benefit that is my choice. Maybe all I'm getting is that good ol' placebo effect! ;)

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

The problem really comes in when people do things like Essiac tea, and forsake real edical intervention. Placebo is glorious for short term relief of subjective problems, like achyness, not so much when it comes to stopping an infection, or recovering from injury. I'm going to stop there, because a big old cup of placebo is just fine.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Brendon Do you know anything about herbs that are positive? Or is your whole being tied up in negatives? Except of course witch hazel which the whole world knows about.
    I've made honeysuckle tea a couple of times for diahrea. it helped.Not my favorite tea tho.but its fun to pick an dry.

• handbright
    15 years ago

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, I'd like to suggest one of my best loved standbys, calendula officinalis (marigold) I steep the petals in warm water and honey then diluted with hot water to make a soothing tissane. It's one of my favorite remedies for any soreness in the mouth after dentistry, and can help very much if one has an upset stomach. Its also great for your skin, healing from the inside out as it cleanses the liver and gallblader. We just have to make sure it is the calendula officinalis, (and not the french marigold-tagets patula)
    I try to find the right ones and keep them in my yard at all times- the little petals look pretty scattered on a salad too.

Here is a link that might be useful: herbs hands healings

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

I'm only negative when the evidence is negative, I have a strong commitment to the truth; If someone wants to live with in their fantasy world where all herbs heal all problems then they can do that by ignoring what I say, and the truth, not only am I not trying to stop them, I couldn't possibly stop them. What I do is to provide good information where I can to help people as they come along.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Bren, you wonderful boy, When are you going to start giving good information and the truth or do you only give the truth as YOU see it in YOUR fantasy world. lol You are the only person who mentioned herbs being a cure all.No one else did!!!
    What was it you wanted to do to herbalists again? boy! you got to get educated before you presume to know it all.Growing up would'nt hurt either. Do you really not see how you open mouth and insert foot everytime you post.I only do it once in awhile.Usually intentionally.
    Whose information is negetive? Only yours little boy thats all i see. Luckygal has more intelligence in her little finger than you'll ever have as do most people here.Have intelligence that is.

Handbright, Thank you for the mouth remedy. I get sores from the dental soak for my teeth sometimes and i'll try it next year. Calundula i grow anyway.I know it tastes good has a peppery taste. I've used it in salads.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

I only give the truth as it is represented in controlled experimentation. Perhaps logic, reason, and reality are all fantastical illusions, but if we operate as if they do not exist it always goes poorly.
    I do say some positive things about some herbs, however that is not a requirement for participation here.

You have strong personal feeling that Herbs are always a good thing it would seem, With out those feelings I am going to have a very different outlook. I don;t share your unfounded belief and do not treat your unfounded belief as fact, I haven't replaced it with another, I've simply gotten along with out it.

• fatamorgana2121
    15 years ago

I love calendula and it is one of the plants I always suggest people grow. Not only does it have herbal or culinary use, the flowers are beautiful and great attractors for beneficial pollinators. That is why the calendula I grow is interspersed in my vegetable garden beds. You can start the plants indoors or direct sow as I usually do.

FataMorgana

• oakleif
    15 years ago

fatamorgana, When we had a big garden i always planted calendula here and there too and the bees loved it. and even tho i could'nt prove it so did one rabbit. I did learn if you fertilize it too much, you end up with all leaves and no flowers.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Brandon the brat strikes again. ANYONE BESIDE ERIC AND BREN THINK I'M WRONG?

• simplemary
    15 years ago

RE Yarrow. It is also wonderful ground & used in combination with other flowers for a soapless face wash. Helps decrease overnight puffiness.

• the_gurgler
    15 years ago

Yaupon Holly leaves make a pretty good tea (1 tbsp toasted leaves and stems + 2 cups boiling water). It does contain caffeine, but no medicinal properties that I am aware of.

• debbysunshine
    15 years ago

Trouble sleeping ? That was me till I started making lavender seed tea with a drip of rose water and I fall right to sleep and wake feeling great.

Sponsored
More Discussions