Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tink62_gw

Castus Tree ~~HELP wanna put it to use

tink62
17 years ago

I have an AWESOME Castus Tree (Monkspepper)

and I wanna put it to use ! I need to know how to

use the herb as well as instructions on how to make.

Any help would be wonderful

Thanx a Million ~~

Tink62

Comments (9)

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

This is the best I could find... vitex agnus-castus

Medicinal Uses
    Anaphrodisiac; Aphrodisiac; Diaphoretic; Diuretic; Febrifuge; Galactogogue; Infertility; Ophthalmic; Sedative; Stomachic; Women's complaints.

Agnus castus has been used for thousands of years for its beneficial affect on the female hormonal system. Modern research has confirmed this use, the seeds being used to restore balanced functioning to the female reproductive system[254].

The seeds and fruits are anaphrodisiac, aphrodisiac, galactogogue, ophthalmic, sedative, stomachic, women's complaints[89, 148, 165]. Prolonged usage restores corpus luteum function[165]. Unfortunately, the berries are unlikely to be produced in the British climate[K].

The berries of this plant have a range of medicinal actions but possibly the most important is its ability to rectify hormonal imbalances caused by an excess of oestrogen and an insufficiency of progesterone[224]. It acts upon the pituitary gland, reducing the production of certain hormones and increasing the production of others, shifting the balance in favour of the gestagens. Thus it has a wide application of uses in malfunctions of the feminine reproductive system and has been used with great effect in restoring absent menstruation, regulating heavy periods, restoring fertility when this is caused by hormonal imbalance, relieving pre-menstrual tension and easing the change of the menopause[224]. Some caution is advised since excessive doses can cause a nervous disorder known as formication, which manifests as a sensation of insects crawling over the skin[238].

The berries are considered to be an aphrodisiac[89], though other reports say that they are anaphrodisiac[11, 46]. The reason for this apparent disagreement is that the berries have a regulating effect on the body and so are likely to increase sexual activity in those who are not very active in this area whilst reducing it in those who are very active[K].

The fresh berries are pounded to a pulp and used in the form of a tincture for the relief of paralysis

• tink62
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanx sooo much Heathen1 ~~
    I've been tryin to find info...4eva it seems
    Would the berries be the seed while they are red?
    We jus bought our place in May 06 and this awesome tree
    was already here. Never heard of it before ~~
    Thanx again ~~~
    Tink 62

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

I looked in my book by Richo Cech 'Making Plant Medicine' and vitex was absent (wow!) any vitex at all. It's a relatively old book, so I looked on his website, Horizon Herbs and found nothing again!!! I looked at Richters... they had another vitex and didn't say how to use berries...
    hmmm.... this is interesting and a new project. :o) I know that the native americans would crush dried berries and add them to some kind of fat, deer or bear... but I think that's for external use. More research is required. :o)

• tink62
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanx for the help : )
    Been fasinated with it ...
    I found in an herbal site OLD stuff ~~
    How to make the tea's ,ointments ect... But
    guess what? didn't find vitex.... Can find
    more stuff under Castus tree ~ herb.
    But still can't find out WHAT ARE THE BERRY's ~ LOL
    Are they these black (HARD)seed lookin thangs?
    Or do I need to pick'em before they turn black ?
    LOL Picked some yesterday anyway ~~ ; )
    Thanx again for helpin me ~ your a nice person : )
    Tink62

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

Well... I am thinking that you may not have a chasteberry tree... you'd better verify that before you make anything with the berries... do you have a picture?

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

I've answered your similar question over at the Herbs Forum. But more on the medicinal side of things here:

Culinary Uses: Seeds can be used as a seasoning similar to pepper. Leaves can also be added to flavour foods.

Medicinal Uses: A tea made from the berries is said to improve fertility levels in women and to balance libido levels in men and women. A tea of the leaves and berries relieves menopausal, pre-menstrual and menstrual symptoms. Increases milk production in breastfeeding mothers. May be useful in the treatment of fibroid cysts. Also used to adjust hormone levels in men. Seeds can be used as a sedative. Normalises the function of the pituitary gland. Externally, a poultice of the leaves is used for the treatment of weak limbs and paralysis.

Medicinal Actions: Diaphoretic, antipyretic, regulatory, uterine tonic, diuretic, anaphrodisiac, galactagogue, antibacterial (leaf), reproductive tract tonic, hormonal normaliser, astringent, antiseptic, alterative, anticatarrhal, antiparasitic, vermifuge, analgesic, expectorant.

Usual Dosage: Pour 1 cup boiling water onto l teaspoonful of the ripe berries and leave to infuse for l0-l5 minutes. Take three times a day. Works best in an alkaline environment, so take 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda in water 30 minutes before use, and do not drink cranberry juice or other acidic juices while using it.

Warning: Do not take Chaste-berries when pregnant or when taking hormones. May counteract the effectiveness of birth control pills. Excess use may cause itching, rash, headache, or nausea. Avoid if allergic to ragweed. Usually used for no longer than 3 months. Use with caution if anaemic. Discontinue if diarrhoea, nausea or abnormal menstrual changes occur. Large doses can cause formication, a strange symptom where one feels as if ants are crawling on the skin. Not recommended for women under 20 whose menstrual cycle is not yet established.

If you use the berries in the same way as you use peppercorns, you'll be getting the benefits from it, but of course it's difficult to know how much of it you're getting, that way!

You said you wanted it for external use, as a rub. Well, in that case you'll be using the leaves, not the berries, anyway.

After reading this post, I'm still concerned that you don't have Vitex agnus-castus. I strongly suggest you have your plant professionally analysed and identified before you use it.

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

Daisy... didn't we have a discussion about vitex before? You wanted to repot it? My memory is going... but that was based on whatever plant I thought I was growing as a vitex! :D I wonder what it was... grown from seed and all.

• tink62
    Original Author
    17 years ago

At the risk of repeting myself...
    "still can't find out WHAT ARE THE BERRY's ~ LOL
    Are they these black (HARD)seed lookin thangs?
    Or do I need to pick'em before they turn black ?"
    It is DEFFINATLY a Castus ~ Vitex ~ Monkspepper....
    I JUST want to know WHAT the BERRY's LOOK LIKE : )
    Leaves look like pot by the way... My Mom thought I had a Giant pot plant in my front yard ~~ lol
    Tink62

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

The berries are NOT red. See the link I put onto the reply in the Herbs Forum. Good pix there, and I gave you a good description as well.

Sponsored
More Discussions