Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellenr22

Herb for cut cuticle?

I've got a cut cuticle on both thumbs, which is very painful.

Any herbal suggestions?

thank you,

ellen

Comments (17)

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

How exactly did you cut the cuticle on both thumbs? I am going to assume that its not anything major and suggest that you try a bandaid, no herb should be needed and putting a poultice on both thumbs would be a pain the the neck. If you do get an infection honey is probably the first place to go. The body can typically take care of its self just fine and is best left to its own devices with minor inconveniences; remember to leave the bandaid loose so the cut can breath.

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

Just a cautionary note here that honey is not the way to go for certain infections.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

That was a heavy infection, yes, honey does nothing for gangrene because it is not removing the rotting tissue, but honey is as good a start as any topical antibiotic for something mild like a scraped finger.

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

One kind of honey is an effective antibiotic to MRSA, the staph germ which is resistant to most pharmaceutical antibiotics.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

To my knowledge its not a matter of one type of honey versus another, but rather an effect of the bees (although the pasteurization process might interfere). Also with MRSA if it progresses to the point where you are worried the most recent line of antibiotics is the place to go, there and statins, and probably honey wouldn't hurt anything to continue. The vast majority of people with MRSA have no signs or symptoms at all and suffer no ill effects, it tends to live happily up in the nose.

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The type of honey is Manuka honey. It is specific for MRSA. MRSA kills people, so I would not say it is harmless.

"Clinical Studies Show Honey Kills MRSA
    Many Clinical Studies Suggest that MRSA Can Easily Be Controlled - Without Antibiotics"

http://tahilla.typepad.com/mrsawatch/2004/10/sgm_news_media__2.html

http://www.activemanukahoneyusa.us/Natural-MRSA-Treatment.htm

http://apitherapy.blogspot.com/2007/10/honey-heals-wounds-infected-with-mrsa.html

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/629879/clinical_studies_show_honey_kills_mrsa.html

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

brendan was not referring to MRSA as harmless, but noting that it occurs without producing symptoms in a lot of people. MRSA may even colonize wounds without acting as a pathogen ("colonization" simply means that the bug is growing in a certain place, not that it is causing disease).

There is no honey that is "specific" for MRSA. Some different types of honey have been found helpful in getting chronic wounds to heal (there is limited evidence from case reports (not large controlled studies) that manuka honey has anti-MRSA effects). It is way premature to say that honey is going to be a major answer to serious MRSA infections, or that these infections can be "easily controlled" with honey and without antibiotics.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

There is no evidence or reasoning to support the claim that MRSA is treated better by Manuka Honey than other types of "natuyral" honey. There is no evidence to show that MRSA is more susceptible to honey than any other type of staph aureus.

Have you every heard of use it and loose it? What ever you use to kill bacteria (with the possible exceptions of alcohol and high high pressure and heat) will eventually have a resistance developed to it. Honey is not an alternative too antibiotics, it is an alternative type of antibiotic, which has some support in the medical literature and a few different plausible modes of action. The only thing I have seen (and granted I did not read your studies) that puts Manuka honey out there as been better have been memes made or descended from those made by people trying hard to make a living selling Manuka honey.

• luckygal
    15 years ago

Not sure how we can get from "cut cuticles" to MRSA but it must make sense to someone here.

My first question would be "what is a *cut* cuticle"? Did you trim your cuticles? Or did this happen spontaneously? If the latter I would suggest improving nutrition, even using some supplements. Vitamin C is crucial for healing and despite some opinions it's not always obtainable from food sources. Oranges have actually been tested and found to have little or no vitamin C.

While a healthy body does heal itself often people are not doing what it takes to have a healthy body.

Handwashing to prevent infections is very important also.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

I like you lucky gal, hand washing, fantastic.

• luckygal
    15 years ago

brendan, it must be tough to be you. Not sure how I can help you. Not sure I want to either.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Because I think hand washing is a fantastic addition to the thread? Because I am astonished that I said nothing of it earlier, overlooking what is easily the best bang for your buck method to ensure a high likely hood of a good outcome? I'm sorry if you thought I was being sarcastic, I assure you I am not that funny.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

FWIW its tremendously easy to be me, I am one of those people (and from what I gather we are pretty rare) who are just happy and content, I also have an iron hide, so it is very easy to handle harsh criticism, which is why it is rare to see my hit someone with an ad hominem attack, despite having been on the receiving end frequently.

• luckygal
    15 years ago

brendan, after reading a few threads on this forum in which you and some others constantly grind your pet axes it was easy to think you were being sarcastic. Sometimes it's best to keep answers on topic in order to help the OP.

Sooo glad to hear you are just a simple happy person, you are correct, you are in the minority. I consider myself pretty complicated.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Here! Here! Lucky Gal, You have to take into consideration his age too. abt 13 i'd say. Yep my pet peeve is these medical wonders that see no good what so ever in herbs on an herbal forum. So glad to see someone ask an intellegent question before giving an answer also. Please stay around.

Brendon gotta make a response to your happy and content personality. To me you come across as a complete juvinal(Sp) idiot, very unhappy with his lot in life with an overwelming urge to make everyone else miserable. Second guess-- A spoiled brat.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

I'm sure that the dig about me being 13 is highly relevant. I am not so very sure that the character assassination you have tried so hard to undertake had nothing what so ever to do with my complimenting her being taken as an insult. You should read the thread, the first response suggested a quasi-herbal remedy, it said positive things about it, now who made that response?

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

Did you wind up getting yous cuticle all fixed up and if so what remedy did you use? I am interested in knowing because I too often have cut cuticles and sometimes it can be a bit painful.

Thanks

Sponsored
Your Source for Tailored Remodeling Solutions in Loudoun County
More Discussions