Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachaeldavina

easy recipe for mint

RachaelDavina
19 years ago

I am overrun with mint in my herb box. I don't really like mint to eat so I was wondering if there is anything else I can do with it?

How do you make an essential oil or salve? Maybe I can make something for a bath??

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• Heathen1
    19 years ago

Why did you plant it if you don't like to eat it? I dry mine for tea, but you could maybe flavor other stuff with it....unless you don't like the flavor at all.

• RachaelDavina
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sorry. Should have clarified. I got it in a mixed herb box as a gift. Mint wasn't actually on the list of herbs, but they may have forgot to list it. I know where they got the box and each one is a little different, and the lists don't always match with what's in it.

I really don't like mint (except in toothpaste, gum, or mouthwash).

I was thinking of making some kind of salve or hand balm but I have no idea how. Is there a way to extract the essential oil in the mint? Distill it?

• Herbalynn
    19 years ago

Howdy. Generally it is not cost effictive for the home gardener to distill EO (essential oil), as the cost of the still and the amount of herb needed to make a decent batch are restrictive.
    This is what I personally would do. Cram a jar full of mint leaves, cover with oil (almond would be nice). Set it in a oven with pilot light or other warm place a week or so. I shake daily at least. Then press the oil out. Here's a recipe for salve:

Salves made easy

It is very easy to make your own salves. Start with 8 ounces of an herbal oil and place in a non-metal pan. Add about 1/4 cup of beeswax. Heat over a very low heat until the beeswax is melted. To check the firmness of your salve, place a few drops on a plate and place in the freezer. After a minute or two, check the consistency. If it is too soft, add more beeswax; if too hard, add more oil. When you have achieved the desired consistency, pour into clean jars and cool completely. Stored in a cool, dark place, your salves should keep for a couple of years.
    Seperate a bit out, add more beeswax, and you can use it as lipbalm as well.

You can add essential oils for added scent, as the straight mint infused oil probably wouldn't be real strong in smell, but it would be astringent and soothing as well.
    Enjoy, Lynn

PS- maybe some day you'll aquire mint taste-buds. Nothing better than a frosty mug of mint tea on a sweltering day!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's past posts on distillation and EO's

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions