Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidguyftl

The godsend of Tea Tree Oil

orchidguyftl
15 years ago

just wanted to put up a quick post.

Been using this for ages for many different things, but last month, I drove a friend to the Doctor because he want feeling well. Unfortunately he sneezed/coughed in the car on the way. he was diagnosed with strepped throat. needless to say within the next week I became sick and my tonsils looked just awful. While I did go to the doctor, also having strepped throat, I couldnt afford the antibiotics at the time. I used tea tree oil mouthwash to gargle and then after the gargle, I dipped a cotton swab into pure tea tree oil and swabbed my tonsils. within about 3 days, swabbing 2 -4 times a day, the infection was gone.

Gotta love the stuff.

just dont swallow it. lol

Comments (36)

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

And to address the cost issue - antibiotics for strep throat are relatively inexpensive (a form of penicillin commonly used to treat strep can be had for as little as $16 or possibly less for a complete course of treatment - your doctor's office should be able to direct you to a low-cost source of drugs, for instance some supermarkets and discount chains that offer discounted common generic drugs).

• orchidguyftl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lol
    Apparently you must be someone that doesnt know much about tea tree oil, or strep throat.
    Tea tree oil can be ingested in adults in minute amounts without harm to the individual. It can be used very effectively for intestinal parasites. I've been hospitalized before for strep without antibiotics right after the onsought of the initial infection years ago, so it doesn't just go away.
    If someone has no money to pay for a prescription, but does have tea tree oil, hhmmm would be best to try the tea tree first. If the therapy is being done correctly, there would be no spread to other organs.

• luckygal
    15 years ago

There have been many independant studies on the efficacy of tea tree essential oil in treating various infective agents. It has been shown to be widely antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal. Another benefit is that it is thot by scientists that bacteria will not become resistant to it, unlike synthetic antibiotic medications. This is of huge benefit altho not something the pharmaceutical industry wants to hear.

Tea tree oil really is an extremely useful product in maintaining wellness. Now whether any of us wants to prescribe it for others is another question. However, I have used tea tree essential oil for many years at the first sign of bacterial or viral illness and I can say it works for me. The illness never progresses to the point where I am sick which is of great benefit.

For many years I sold essential oils and had many very satisfied customers.

Cautions with using any essential oils is that more is not better, they are best used in extremely small amounts and diluted appropriately in a carrier oil. Also never take them internally without consulting a qualified aromatherapist. And learn as much as you can about these natural medications, Julia Lawless' books have very good info. My final recommendation is to buy only quality essential oils which are in the minority and not always easy to find.

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

"If someone has no money to pay for a prescription, but does have tea tree oil, hhmmm would be best to try the tea tree first. If the therapy is being done correctly, there would be no spread to other organs."

As I indicated (and an Internet search will bear this out), simple antibiotics that are highly effective against strep throat are inexpensive. You might save a few bucks on tea tree oil, which has no proven efficacy against strep, and risk nasty complications later on. Adults can take that chance, if they want. I'm concerned that someone reading this thread might think it's a good idea to try this remedy on their children, with potentially disastrous results.

I note from orchidguyftl's website that he's in the business of selling tea tree oil and other products. Sellers of supplements are not always the most objective judges of how well their products work.

In response to luckygal, tea tree oil can potentially be a useful treatment for some external infections, but it's far from a cure-all. And it's never a good idea to take it internally. An aromatherapist is not someone to trust on this score.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Turp (as in turpentine) is not something you want on the inside.

• luckygal
    15 years ago

eric_oh, a "qualified aromatherapist" is someone who has likely studied in England and is qualified to recommend which essential oils may be taken internally. The government health care system in England will pay for medical treatment by such qualified persons. Taking essential oils internally is not something I recommend. Essential oils are nothing more nor less than natural medications which deserve respect by their long history of successfully treating disease conditions. Your lack of knowledge or awareness of the quality of this type of treatment does not negate it's value.

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

Those who are knowledgeable on this matter (not including aromatherapists with no real medical background or training) recognize the hazards associated with internal use of tea tree oil:

"Taking tea tree oil by mouth may cause possibly serious side effects such as confusion, loss of muscle control, or coma. Even small amounts of tea tree oil may be harmful if swallowed by young children or household pets. Using tea tree oil orally is not recommended due to these risks.

According to the Mayo Clinic:

"Tea tree oil should not be used orally; there are reports of toxicity after consuming tea tree oil by mouth."

Tea tree oil may cause problems even with external use:

"When applied to the skin, tea tree oil is reported to be mildly irritating and has been associated with the development of allergic contact dermatitis, which may limit its potential as a topical agent for some patients."

Potential toxic or irritating effects aside, the original claim that tea tree oil is effective against strep throat lacks documentation.

• luckygal
    15 years ago

Let's face it there are hazards associated with many things, eric_oh! Someone with a penicillin allergy is certainly at risk in taking penicillin. Many people are allergic to many things but that doesn't usually stop a thinking person from using beneficial products. If we all lived in such fear of trying things because we *might* be allergic we'd all have to live in individual bubbles. I've had allergic and other reactions to more pharmaceuticals than I have from natural products including essential oils. The key to using natural products is to become knowledgeable about them and use them sensibly. This is no different from the use of any product.

There have been numerous scientific studies on tea tree essential oil, you might try googling the subject if you'd like to learn about them.
    Here's a quote from one study by researchers at the University of Western Australia: "The primary aim of the group is to investigate and characterise the medicinal properties of tea tree oil, in particular the antimicrobial properties. So far the group has shown that tea tree oil has broad-spectrum in vitro antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral activity."
    Here's the link the quote is from: http://www.tto.bcs.uwa.edu.au/

More info here: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/REM00007

I'm convinced that if it were possible for the pharmaceutical industry to patent natural products such as tea tree essential oil we'd hear a very different story. Tea tree would be the "new wonder drug" then.

Regardless of your opinions which are obviously biased against natural products there are many of us who maintain very good health by using such products. My doctor is amazed at how healthy I am at age 66 and how seldom I visit her office (once a year for a check-up). Over the years I've found I'm healthier when I can avoid the allopathic system as much as possible. And I am well acquainted with the system having worked in it for decades.

I know I will be unlikely to convince people such as yourself of the benefits of natural herbal products but if there is only one person out there who can learn the truth I am happy to spend a bit of time writing to you! Hope you stay healthy - it will be more difficult with "your" system but you might be lucky. For myself I'm much healthier and happier using the "medicines" which were given us by our Creator.

Here is a link that might be useful: tea tree essential oil research

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

"Someone with a penicillin allergy is certainly at risk in taking penicillin. Many people are allergic to many things but that doesn't usually stop a thinking person from using beneficial products. If we all lived in such fear of trying things because we *might* be allergic we'd all have to live in individual bubbles."

One major difference between penicillin and tea tree oil in this circumstance (strep throat) is that penicillin is known to be highly effective against strep. Tea tree oil is not. Therefore we should be intolerant of any significant toxicity associated with using tea tree oil in this fashion (and as mentioned, potential toxicity is only one problem. Developing a severe post-strep complication (i.e. kidney or heart disease) because you didn't treat the initial strep throat properly is another issue).

"Here's a quote from one study by researchers at the University of Western Australia: "The primary aim of the group is to investigate and characterise the medicinal properties of tea tree oil, in particular the antimicrobial properties. So far the group has shown that tea tree oil has broad-spectrum in vitro antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral activity."

I put the term in vitro in bold print for you. It essentially means "in a test tube". Tea tree oil has not been shown to cure strep throat infections.

"I'm convinced that if it were possible for the pharmaceutical industry to patent natural products such as tea tree essential oil we'd hear a very different story."

The pharmaceutical industry has developed, patented and marketed many antibiotics and other drugs that are plant-derived or related to compounds originally identified in nature. There's no plot against tea tree oil, which is not the panacea its backers seem to believe.

"Regardless of your opinions which are obviously biased against natural products"

Sad to see that once again, when their arguments fail some posters turn to personal attacks, such as this unfounded one. I've made positive statements about a number of herbal medicines in this forum, most recently Andrographis (see the current thread).

"For myself I'm much healthier and happier using the "medicines" which were given us by our Creator."

We obviously differ in how we view medicines. I'm satisfied to use the ones that are proven to work, and whose development may or may not have been creator-inspired. As for herbs, they're a stew of complex compounds, many of which seem intended to protect the plant and are thus toxic to animals, including us. Some have benefits for us. None can be regarded as safe and/or effective merely because they're "natural".

• luckygal
    15 years ago

eric_oh, could you show studies which indicate that tea tree essential oil is not effective against streptococcal bacterium? The reason I ask is that there are many studies by reliable institutions cited on the 'net and in aromatherapy books I've read which show that it is effective and in very low concentrations. As far as in vitro studies are concerned that's where all research starts. Unfortunately for natural products there are few companies with enough funds (unlike the pharmaceutical coffers) to sponsor human research.

I suspect there are many cases of post-strep complications even in those taking penicillin due to incomplete compliance as well as organism resistance. Penicillin is no longer the wonder drug we thot it to be in the 40's. It can no longer be guaranteed to work in every case. I likely wouldn't be here without it but have developed an allergy to it as have many others. So for me tea tree as well as many other EO's work well to maintain my good health.

I'm sure that, given the widespread lack of compliance with Rx consumption it's only a matter of time before there are even more penicillin resistant streptococci. The benefit of tea tree EO not having this organism resistance factor is something science has not yet been able to duplicate.

The pharmaceutical industry has tried to duplicate many natural herbals but their continuing problem is that they have not been able to exactly duplicate mother nature. Without changing the natural formula they cannot patent it so it is of no use to them.

I have never stated here and am well aware that there are no completely safe products, natural or synthetic. I will continue to sensibly use products which have proven themselves to me to be both safe and effective and for me those are natural.

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

"eric_oh, could you show studies which indicate that tea tree essential oil is not effective against streptococcal bacterium?"

"Prove it isn't so" is not a valid defense of a suggested therapy. "Prove it is so" (i.e. that it works) is the evidence-based standard by which new medicines and therapies are accepted in health care.

"As far as in vitro studies are concerned that's where all research starts. Unfortunately for natural products there are few companies with enough funds (unlike the pharmaceutical coffers) to sponsor human research."

There's plenty of research being done all the time on plant-based and other "natural" treatments. Not all of it is high-quality research (i.e. large double-blind studies published in reputable journals), a fault for which supplement companies with their multibillion dollar profits but extremely limited investment in research must accept a share of blame. Still, much work is being done (check the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (which funds lots of herbal research and the Pub Med scientific journal database for more information).

"I suspect there are many cases of post-strep complications even in those taking penicillin due to incomplete compliance as well as organism resistance. Penicillin is no longer the wonder drug we thot it to be in the 40's."

It's still an excellent drug for strep throat, even though other antibiotics may be even more effective. From a recent article on the subject:

"For 5 decades, penicillin has been the treatment of choice for this infection, and it is currently recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Heart Association, the World Health Organization, and the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Amoxicillin is often utilized in young children in place of penicillin V because of taste considerations. Although the problem of increasing antimicrobial resistance among bacteria is one of the most important infectious disease issues of our time, (the organism that causes strep throat) remarkably have never developed resistance to any of the penicillins or cephalosporins or shown any increase in penicillin minimal inhibitory concentrations over at least 5 decades."

So antibiotic resistance is not an issue when it comes to treating strep throat. Effectiveness in quelling the infection and preventing complications is the issue, and the available antibiotics are relatively cheap and work fine.

Evidence is lacking that tea tree oil can do the job effectively and safely.

"I will continue to sensibly use products which have proven themselves to me to be both safe and effective and for me those are natural."

That's a philosophical difference I don't think we can resolve. I'll use products that have been demonstrated to work, regardless of artificial definitions of what is "natural" or "non-natural".

• luckygal
    15 years ago

Have you done any research concerning the studies which have been done regarding tea tree oil? If so you will see that many have been done by qualified scientists. The Australian gov't is interested in this as it is one of their exports and they are concerned about the quality of the product.

I don't really think I have to prove something which has been the subject of numerous studies over the last century. Tea tree oil was used effectively while penicillin was still only thot to be mold on bread. The real difference in the two treatments is that one can be controlled by the powerful pharmaceutical industry and the herbal product cannot.

Another benefit of tea tree oil is that it is known to increase WBC's which helps boost immune function. I don't think I've ever heard that penicillin does that but I'm sure you will correct me if I'm ignorant of that "fact".

Here is an interesting quote from the link you posted: "Streptococcal pharyngitis is a self-limited illness with resolution within a few days even without therapy." What is your opinion of this?

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

I believe it's unnecessary to keep reiterating that there's no evidence that tea tree oil effectively treats strep throat, no matter what other properties it may have in the test tube or against other infections.

As to your "interesting quote", I addressed that subject in my first response to the original poster in this thread:

"It should also be noted that even if the above poster had strep throat (which can't be accurately diagnosed without specific testing), throat symptoms commonly subside within several days on their own, so it's likely the tea tree oil treatment had nothing to do with the apparent resolution of illness (again, the disappearance of throat pain doesn't mean you're off the hook from the infection, as complications affecting other organs can ensue later)."

• tmomof6
    14 years ago

LOL hahahahaahah
    I took my daughter in to the office (Dr.'s) over a ring worm issue. They prescribed a topical ointment to use twice a day for two weeks! I have six kids & they wanted me to let her keep it for two weeks?! Bump that, I knew tea tree oil would work so I ask them if they would mind if I tried that first. Doc said yeah but if you use an alternative medicine bring her back in three (3) III days so we can make sure it doesn't get any worse. I put a dot of tea tree oil on her ring worm spots four times a day & on the third day they were gone I couldn't wait to show the Dr. & what do you think he saidGargling salt water with a few drops of tea tree oil in it works wonders on strep throat. It will NOT kill you to try it, unless you have a severe allergy to tea tree oil. To find out if you have an allergy to a new substance you can take a q-tip & soak it w/ the substance then swab in inner crook of your elbow. If There is no negative reaction to the substance chances are gargling with it to sooth your throat will not put you in a comma. (please note the extreme sarcasm) I gargle with tea tree oil. I am fine. I use it on my children. We are all very healthy & I do take my children to the Dr. When they need to go. ie: vaccinations.

• silversword
    14 years ago

Several things stand out for me.

1. Orchid guy, you say you went to the doctor to get strep diagnosed. But couldn't afford the prescription. Why did you go to the doctor then? I would assume your co-pay would be more than the prescription. When I take my dd to the doctor for strep (1-2x a year) our co-pay is around $15 and the prescription is $6-10. Why didn't you go to a clinic if you couldn't afford it? This just makes no sense. If you had money for gas for your car, you had money for a prescription.

2. Strep is one of those things you just don't want to mess with. I would agree with tmom that topical use of tea tree is effective but would never give my dd tea tree orally to treat strep throat.

3. If Orchid didn't go back to the doctor to make sure the strep was cured by his home remedy there is no way of knowing. And I would think it would make more sense financially to just get the low cost prescription than pay for 2 copays. Plus, tea tree is expensive!!!

4. Strep goes away on its own within a week. But a person is contagious for up to a month afterword. So by not taking antibiotics you not only risk complications for yourself but risk the health of everyone with whom you come in contact with for a month.

I'm all for herbal remedies, but this one takes the cake. Why don't you post this information on your website Orchid?

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Don't want to get into the "discussion" of tea tree again but feel I must disagree with the statement that tea tree is expensive. I've never paid more than $15. for a 10ml. bottle of very good quality tea tree. For those who don't use essential oils this may seem a lot unless one knows there are 200 drops in that bottle and one uses one drop at a time or perhaps less in a blend.

Whenever I've used tea tree for symptoms of a cold I use one drop in a few drops of a carrier oil and put it ON my throat. That is on my skin on the exterior of my throat. I don't use essential oils internally much. The skin absorbs very well and I have never NOT had this work to stop symptoms quickly. I've sometimes used it twice a day for three days if symptoms persist that long. That would be 6 drops of the 200 drops in that $15. bottle You do the math and you will see it's much cheaper than any over-the-counter cold remedy. AND I don't have to put up with feeling crummy for a week with a cold. Fortunately tea tree is also good for cleaning my house or it would never be used up before the shelf-life expired.

• mdgardengurl
    14 years ago

Just my uneducated 2 cents...Tea Tree oil has cleared up a skin problem I had when prescribed creams with very strong chemicals did nothing. It is a miracle 'drug' in my opinion. Evidently many people believe this, too, as I sell out of my Tea Tree Oil soap every time I make it.

• silversword
    14 years ago

Tea tree oil is great. But a cold is not strep throat. If you can afford gas to drive a friend to their appt. and afford a co-pay to get the strep diagnosed you can afford the prescription to get the strep taken care of. An over-the-counter cold medicine will not get rid of strep and would be a waste of money.

• WordyBirdy
    12 years ago

There's a lot of tension and upset happening here so I want to make sure that you read my words in a neutral way because I'm not here to waste my time going back and forth proving a point to a person somewhere that I don't know.

I'd like to preface what I'm going to say with my perception that BOTH allopathic and alternative modalities have merit, in the right place, at the right time and surely for all.. in the right dosage.

I also believe that just because it's not tested to the max, that we should turn our noses up at it. That just means that one, ONE form or vehicle of paradigm / thought / belief structure hasn't had the time for, or noticed a potential medicine's capabilities. That doesn't mean this compound/plant doesn't have merit, it just means there's extra caution to be taken when experimenting with it. Which leads me to this, if you don't know your body's signs; your physical, mental, biological and emotional nuances, you probably shouldn't be messing around with anything that has potent and active constituents that hasn't run the gamut of standardized, methodical, scientific testing.

That's also to say that just because it's been tested, just as well, doesn't mean that you should feel safe taking it. There are a horrific number of deaths per year that result from allopathic treatment and more specifically, prescription medications. I'm not here to give numbers and prove my point so if you're interested, just dig a bit, all the info is there. What I'm about to say is a guess, not a fact, but I think if I looked into to, it'd be true - I get the sense that there are many more deaths due to prescription medication than there are due to alternative medication and compounds. It's possible more people turn to prescription meds, resulting in higher stats for everything by comparison.

There are many studies being done on alternative therapies, the information is out there, a good source for scientific
    tudy on alternative meds is:
    http://nccam.nih.gov/

It's a place where science meets the alternative world with an open mind. There's probably a lot of info here that can ease some of the disagreements. I always find it troubling when people care more about proving their points than working together to find a more expansive perspective that can be freeing, healing and connecting for everyone involved.

All that said - my experience with tea tree oil has been pleasant and unpleasant. I've applied it externally many times, all with great, overwhelming success. The only time it cannot be used on it's own, externally is with an infection that has several layers of skin already gone. In this case, tea tree will absolutely stop the infection, but as it is so very drying, it will not allow the skin to regenerate either, so the wound dries up but doesn't heal over. This is where something like a calendula salve in tandem with tea tree oil is very beneficial.

As far as taking tea tree internally, the few times I have placed one small drop of pure essential on my toothpaste, while me teeth, breath and mouth was cleaner than I've felt before, I experienced extreme fatigue within 10 minutes of brushing, followed my nausea. I tried this 3 times, with each experience following the same protocol. This was all I needed to confirm that it truly should not be taken internally or even orally, especially for little ones. If it were the only choice than the scenario might be different, but as there are so many other oils more appropriate anti bacterials / fungals, why use one that is questionable internally?

Ultimately, I think it is important for everyone to always keep in mind that every body truly is unique, there are outliers and inliers that defy traditional perspectives and our belief patterns do have a lot to do with how we experience every aspect of life, including the things we put in our bodies. (placebo effect..) I think this is a pretty universal statement.

I hope I haven't pissed anyone off or triggered anyone with my thoughts. I'm here to share, learn, connect and discover. If you jive with that, I'd love a dialogue!!

Tiffany

Here is a link that might be useful: Traditional Testing on Non-Traditional Modalities

• theherbalist2012
    12 years ago

Tiffany:

Nicely put. I think your observations are accurate.

If I may, by the way you responded to tea tree, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you have an internal hot condition whereby adding hot energy tea tree oil largely aggravated your make-up or condition.
    Example of hot conditions would be to have high blood pressure, or slow digestion with constipation, etc. Does that describe anything about you?

Thanks for sharing.

theherbalist

• Santali
    11 years ago

I have been suffering with a tonsil infection for three days with all the symptoms; white spots on tonsils, fever, headaches, chills/ sweats, swollen glands, difficulty swallowing etc... I do not like to use anti-biotics and haven't had to for many years but on this occasion it looked like I didn't have a choice, having exhausted many of the "home remedies" I found online. That is, until I found this discussion. Twelve hours after gargling with tea tree oil (one drop in 300ml water) and applying tea tree cream on my neck my symptoms have mostly gone. Most importantly, the white spots on my tonsils have been reduced by at least 50% and there is reduced swelling in the tonsils and glands. I will continue with this treatment and hopefully avoid a trip to the doctor all-together.
    Many thanks to those who recommended this treatment. :)

• kk1515
    11 years ago

i feel and apparently many of you do too, antibiotics are a last resort but can save lives in extreme circumstances. i applaud those of you who took responsibility for your own healthcare and used tea tree oil to such good advantage. remembering that essential oils are powerful medicine and should be used with care is so smart. hurray for natural remedies!

• theherbalist2012
    11 years ago

karen:

When you say "antibiotics are a last resort but can save lives in extreme circumstances", I know you're trying to be diplomatic. But it shows your lack of skill level in herbology. You just bastardized the whole herbal profession.

Why don't you answer my question on the B12 post?

theherbalist

• kk1515
    11 years ago

some infections located deep in the body (ex: peritoneal cavity or brain) are life threatening and not successfully treatable with herbs because the active herbal constituents cannot penetrate the tissues in sufficient concentration to do the job effectively. in extreme situations antibiotics can save lives. i'm glad we have antibiotics for those instances and would gladly take them myself if indicated. i would never recommend their casual use.

knowing when herbs are appropriate and knowing when antibiotics are needed is a skill associated with higher levels of understanding. to deny the use of one or the other is to deny ourselves the benefit of everything traditional medicine and modern science have to offer.

• theherbalist2012
    11 years ago

"some infections located deep in the body (ex: peritoneal cavity or brain" I've successfully treated just those very things quite successfully. You're just admitting that you just don't know how.

Face it, you're just an herbalist want-a-be.

theherbalist

• kk1515
    11 years ago

i apologize to everyone on this forum for my part in this mess with dr. charlie. i should have known better based on his history on other forums.

reported the problem to this forum administrator early this morning.

i just wanna enjoy sharing and learning from all the nice folks here.

• theherbalist2012
    11 years ago

Shame on you for verbally attacking my professional standing.

• katkerri
    11 years ago

my goodness, this forum is so feisty! i've learned quite a lot tho, lurking here for many years:) despite all the arguing.
    what i am wondering is: if people don't approve of herbalism, why be here? just to be contrary?
    well anyway, i am so thankful for tea tree oil too!
    and hurray for the ones testing its properties.

• kaliaman
    11 years ago

the poison is in the dose.

• MycoMac
    10 years ago

Some big ego's in here, kind of sad to see. I would like to inform all interested that the Australian Aboriginals have used Melaleuca (Tea Tree) for thousands of years. When ever they had a cold/sore throat or just wanted a boost (tonic) they just boiled up the leaves in water and drank the tea. I've tried it and enjoy the taste, I also noticed quite a bit of oil floating on the surface of my tea. No ill effects at all. The paper like bark is also excellent for cooking fish in.

I have also used Tea tree oil as a preservative when boiling up extracts of herbs/mushrooms. They never go off and don't cause me any problems internally.

This post was edited by MycoMac on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 7:05

• tempusflits
    10 years ago

Just to add my 2 cents. At the first sign of a sore throat, I gargle with warm salt water. It kills the germs that cause strep throat. Very quick. Very cheap.Very effective.

Not that I have anything against Tea Tree Oil. I use it often to help with other complaints. But as far as strep goes, I'm devoted to gargling with warm salt water before the infection takes root.

• debwilliams
    10 years ago

Melaleuca oil (tea tree oil) derived from the melaleuca alternifolia leaf can be toxic when ingested orally. I agree with those who warn against oral applications and avoiding antibiotics. I've heard of people using small amounts the oil in a vapor form (humidifier), not sure if that is a good idea or not.

Here is a link that might be useful: melaleuca

• kaliaman
    10 years ago

tempusflits suggestion of salt water is excellent imo. cheap and effective with no side effects is about as good as it gets!

there are many herbs that exhibit effectiveness against strep as well. see your local herbalist for details.

infections in the head/close to the heart can be dangerous so are nothing to fool around with. if a sore throat persists or worsens please see your favorite healthcare practitioner for help.

antibiotics can be life savers, they also have bad side effects...so be discriminating in their use, only when absolutely necessary. prevention and natural treatments that work with the body instead of against it are preferred.

• rusty_blackhaw
    10 years ago

Most sore throats are caused by viruses (not bacteria) and will resolve on their own with or without treatment.

Actual strep throat (which has to be confirmed by a positive strep test) is most common in children and deserves effective care (i.e. antibiotics) to avoid potential serious complications, which include rheumatic fever and kidney disease.

Drinking a honey-laced beverage or gargling with salt water can help a sore throat feel better, but it won't affect the organisms that may be causing symptoms.

• tempusflits
    10 years ago

I'm not knocking tea tree oil. I think it's a powerful treatment option. But I do want to share advice I got from my Mom. At the first sign of a sore throat, gargle with warm salt water. It kills strep germs. Knocks 'em dead before they can make you sick. It works. And talk about inexpensive!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm
More Discussions