Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my marigold Calendula??

Posted by Euphoria526 TroyAL8 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 1, 04 at 12:58

I have some marigolds growing, and the package said they were Calendula Officinalis. But when I went to the seed saving FAQ, the sort of seeds I had (the long thin needle-like ones) were under marigold tagete, or something, and the calendula marigold seeds were these round oval ones. So do I have the marigold with the healing properties, calendula, or the other one? And if not Calendula, does anyone know where I can get some? I'm so confused.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my marigold Calendula??

Do you have a picture of your plant in flower?

o

I just went out and took one. They aren't at their peak, they're flowering. It's a $10 digital camera, so it's not very detailed, but maybe you can see enough. The petals are all ruffley, you can't see separate petals, if that helps. I wouldn't know, it's the only kind i've ever seen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marigold

o
RE: Is my marigold Calendula ?

"They aren't at their peak, they're flowering"

I meant going to seed, not flowering. Sorry.

o

That is a marigold, not calendula. Calendula is more daisy-like in flower appearance. The leaves are totally different too.

o

You are right about seed shape too. Calendula is a curley-Q, and Marigold are long thin brown-black tipped seeds. You could post on the seed swap, and get lots of replys for Calendula seed.
Enjoy! Lynn

o

Thanks for all the replies, I get it now. But is Calendula another kind of marigold, i've always heard it called that. Is it the french marigold, or what's it's common name?

o

An old common name for calendula is "pot marigold". And I do mean OLD - it got this name way back in time in England (I'm thinking Elizabethan or thereabouts??) when the green parts of the plant were boiled to be eaten as a vegetable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here