Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden Mint [Mentha Verte] information please

Posted by contrygirllynn35 z4maine (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 23, 04 at 14:12

Hi I bought this mint at my local grocery store who sells year round potted herbs in the produce section, I cannot find much information on this at all, can this type of mint be used medicinally like spearmint and peppermint? what besides mint jellies can i do with this type of mint? thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden Mint [Mentha Verte] information please

According to one of my sources (Hennriette) your mint is Spearmint.

Mentha spicata L., Lamiaceae.
Engl.: spearmint, garden mint...
Fran.: mentha verte.

o

You can use it in all kinds of things: iced tea, hot tea from the leaves, desserts, fruit salad, a lot of middle eastern foods call for mint (taboulli comes to mind). I like it so much that I just pick a leaf when I walk by and chew on it. Mint is good for upset tummies too. I would reccomend keeping it in a pot as it will take over the garden if you plant it in the ground. Theresa.

o

Theirs also a yogurt sauce in middle eastern food that tastes wonderful on grilled lemon pepper chicken. The gyro sauce. Very cooling. wonderful to have on hot summer nights, or in the case of main hot summer days:)

o

I think of spearmint as the 'savoury' mint, to be used with meats etc. I like a little chopped into a potato salad, and a roast lamb dinner isn't the same without old-fashioned mint sauce. This is the mint for Mint Jelly. Put a large sprig into a jug of icy cold water for a very refreshing drink. Make a Mint Julep out of this mint. Use this mint when cooking peas and carrots. Sprinkle some onto tomato slices for a delicious salad, or just toss some through a green salad.

I regard peppermint as the 'sweet' mint, the one used for desserts, confectionery etc.

o

bump,bump,bump.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here