Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
duncable

An Herbalist's Library

duncable
15 years ago

Hello everyone! I've been gardening in general for a few years, but have recently become interested in herbs for health and beauty and have been trying to find good books on the subject.

There are so many out there, its overwhelming, and so I was wondering if you all could share your favorites with me? You know, the ones you couldn't live without, who are so well used that their bindings are falling apart. Maybe you've even had to buy a second copy, it was so worn!

I'm looking for books that list a good amount of herbs, and have pretty detailed descriptions of both how to grow them and how/where to use them or what to use them in (ie. salves/ointments, dry skin moisturizers, antiseptic, digestive aids, etc). I focus more on the beauty aspect than general health, but a book that lists all uses wouldn't be turned down!

Thanks for your help, and if there is a thread, or multiple threads, that have already been started regarding this, please just point me in the right direction! :)

Comments (6)

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

There've been a number of threads on the subject of books and other resources on herbalism, such as this one.

You can use the forum search function to locate other discussions.

• luckygal
    15 years ago

duncable, I don't have the time to check all those zillions of other threads to see if my fav book is listed so I'll add a link to show you the book. This is a book which I should replace because it is so worn and tattered but it's like an old friend so I'll just keep it! :)

Since you are interested in skin care I can sincerely recommend essential oils which are nature's little miracles for that purpose. I do not use any commercial skin care products, only all natural vegetable oil based soaps with essential oils plus good carrier oils (coconut, almond, apricot for example) with essential oils added. I'm hoping to keep the wrinkles at bay for awhile yet with this pleasant and simple regime.

Valerie Worwood has also written a book called the Fragrant Mind which is an interesting read about other uses of essential oils.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fragrant Pharmacy

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Eating well and exercising and keeping from getting too much sun will do wonders for your looks. I know young women who at age 20 look like death from poor diets and poor health.

Time for me to get all sciency; The things we consider beautiful in women (I'm assuming you are a woman, sorry if that is incorrect) are all signs of high fecundity, the curvy shape, smooth clear skin (estrogen levels) and general signs of good health (not just free from infection but also free fro parasites and not sickly) getting a diet with a wide variety of fruits and more importantly vegtables fresh from your garden will do wonders for raising your general level of health which in turn will reduce bagginess under the eyes, water retention, excess body fat (a little is nice, I think, but then again I'm probably never going to see you, so my opinion on the matter matters not) low muscle tone, and sunken eyes are all things that increase both with time and with poor general health and poor dietary habits.

That and witch hazel, that stuff is amazing, best after shave ingredient ever.

• rusty_blackhaw
    15 years ago

"The things we consider beautiful in women...are all signs of high fecundity"

You silver-tongued devil. ;)

• oakleif
    15 years ago

Please forgive brendon and eric they are rude crude and socially unacceptable.

Herbal books i like are Peterson field guide to Medicinal Plants,The Complete Medicinal Herbal,The RD Home Handbook-Herbs,Herbs by Kathi Keville-Illustrated and lots of info,My favorite is loaned out right now is an old book called Herbs When i get it back i'll post the author.
    Witch hazil is an astringent and not good for all skin ailments.specially for dryskin or where a lotion is needed. Some good herbal plant catalogs are Horizon Herbs,Richters,Well Sweep Herbs,Crimson Sage,Companion Plants and Thyme Garden, Have fun this is a great hobby and useful.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Can you point out where I was being rude?

Rereading the whole post I see where she asked for resources and where I suggested that an underlying cause might do more for her with less work, and gave some information on why. I just don;t see where I was rude. I didn't answer her question true, but I did what I could to help her with her problem (although to be fare I'm not even sure if she has a problem).

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
More Discussions