Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
itchy dog

Posted by anneh38 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 14, 06 at 15:05

I adopted a neut 10mo lab/shep/x last month. He is such a sweetheart but he bites/nibbles/licks his rump/tail/hind legs/inner thighs. No sign of soreness/rash/ loss of fur. I had a vet confirm no fleas/worms/mites/anal gland probs. His prior owner said he always does it and that he had put Frontline on him a couple months ago in case it was fleas. He was on a kibble that included lamb/chicken/grains so I am giving steamed fish/pumpkin in morning and raw turkey/zuccini in evening. VitB/C/E/salmon oil/borage oil/small dose cod liver oil/zinc. I am abit depressed to be honest because my prior dog that recently died had a terrible illness and had hoped for no problems esp when I read online allergic dogs having to have steroids etc. But I already love him so I am trying to look on the bright side that perhaps I can help him plus he doesn't do it all the time and sleeps thru night altho really goes at it when he wakes up. I also am making herbal teas and swabbing the itchy areas at night after thorough brushing. Giving licorice glycerite last thing at night also. Thanks for any help
anneh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: itchy dog

Ask your vet to do some allergy-testing. Could be he's allergic to something he's eating, or to some plant in the garden. Also ask the vet to do a more thorough search of the itchy area - it could be something like a grass seed embedded under the skin. You KNOW there's something wrong, so it's worth a more thorough investigation. It might also be worth getting a second vet's opinion.

After checking with your vet, you could try this:
Use a mixture of Liquorice Root, Dandelion Root, and Cat's Claw in equal drops of each tincture for two weeks.

You could also try using Aloe Vera gel on the area.

If your dog wears a flea collar, toss it out!

It's a rare dog that doesn't have fleas. Many dogs are allergic to flea bites - it's a common cause of itching. Try giving your dog some brewer's yeast in his food. 1 tablespoon per day, depending on the size of the dog (check with the vet).

Remember, as with humans, dogs can be allergic to ANYTHING, so your vet might actually ask you to stop administering assorted herbs for a while, then to re-introduce one at a time to eliminate it as a culprit. Ditto with his food.

o
RE: itchy dog

Try using a soap with neem oil in it. Try to find one with peppermint too to cool and soothe. This is to only temp. relieve itching.

Also, your dog might have "hot spots". Applying sufadine to the spots helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here