Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forestelves

What is a good breath mint reciepe?

forestelves
14 years ago

What herbs can I use? I have sage, lavender, spearmint, orange, pineapple, and banana mint, and oregno. I'm willing to grow anything that can help make the breath smell great. Thanks

Comments (2)

• luckygal
    14 years ago

Are you making breath mints? If so do you already have a recipe? I sometimes chew a leaf from sage or mint plants when I am gardening. Any of the plants you mention could be used.

I make a mist which I use with water as a mouthwash. I use peppermint, spearmint, and lemon essential oils in water. Shake the mister bottle and spritz some on a half glass of water. Use as a rinse after brushing. I also occasionally add a drop of lavender or tea tree essential oil on my toothbrush with toothpaste. I have very good dental checkups and short cleaning sessions.

Less than pleasant breath can be a symptom of many things. Best to investigate the cause rather than masking with mints.

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

Definitely investigate the cause of the bad breath. Best to treat the root cause rather than the symptoms only.

You could use Sage instead of mint. Just rub a fresh leaf or two onto your teeth and gums. It not only helps to eliminate plaque and strengthen the gums, but it makes your mouth smell and feel really fresh.

Chew Caraway seeds, Cardamom seeds and pods, Fennel seeds, Fenugreek seeds, Coffee beans, or Dill seeds, or make a tea of them and use it as a mouthwash.

A gargle and mouthwash made up of 30 drops of Myrrh in a glass of warm water helps to keep breath sweet. Myrrh helps heal mouth sores and sore throats.

MINT AND ROSEMARY MOUTHWASH
    600ml distilled or mineral water
    1 teaspoon fresh mint leaves
    1 teaspoon rosemary leaves
    1 teaspoon aniseed
    1 teaspoon tincture of myrrh

Boil the water and infuse the mint, rosemary and aniseed for 20 minutes. When cool, strain and use as a gargle.

TOOTHPOWDER
    Mix together 15g fresh sage leaves, 10g fresh peppermint leaves and 25g coarse sea salt. Spread out the mixture on a baking tray. Place in a preheated oven (150C) for 20 minutes, or until the herbs are dry and crisp. Reduce to a powder by rubbing through a fine wire sieve and store in a dry airtight jar. Very good for removing plaque. To use, shake a little of the mixture into your hand and pick it up with a damp toothbrush.

Breath Freshener:
    Gargle and rinse with undiluted rosewater.