Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drying Echinacea

Posted by iluvbonsai z7b VA (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 10, 09 at 19:41

I don't know that I placed this in the right catagory. Sorry if I did't.

So I was just thinking about how easy Echinacea is to grow. We have a few packs of seeds that we can use to grow them and get the plants. I Have known for a while that Echinacea is a good remedy for illnesses and such and started wondering how you use it. If I'm not mistaken, you need to dry the root before using it. I just don't know how to go about drying it. Can anyone tell me how I would dry it and what the best way to use it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drying Echinacea

iluvbonsai,

I am new to herbal medicine and have recently purchased two books which are very informative and which I recommend, "Growing 101 Herbs That Heal" by Tammi Hartung and "Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health" by Rosemary Gladstar.

According to Tammi Hartung, the roots of echinacea are harvested in the spring or fall when they are 2 1/2 to 3 years old. Roots can be left whole, chopped into small chunks (1-2 inches), or sliced. They are placed on a nonmetal screen out of direct sunlight and with good air circulation. The roots will take one week to several weeks to dry and feel brittle when they are completely dry. Ms. Tartung writes that aerial parts, flowers and seeds of echinacea can be harvested from the second growing season on. She recommends cutting the upper half to third of the plant. The plants are then tied into bundles and hung upside down for drying or placed on a nonmetal screen and turned frequently to ensure even drying.

Decoctions are prepared from the roots: 1 cup of water is brought to a boil in a saucepan. One teaspoon of dried root is then added to the boiling water, the heat is reduced and the root is simmered for 15-20 minutes. Strain and drink.

Infusions are prepared from leaves and flowers: 1 cup of boiling water is poured over 1 teaspoon of dried herb, covered and allowed to steep for 10-15 minutes. Strain and drink. Echinacea supports the immune system and helps in the prevention of colds and flu.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here