Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is this plant slippery elm ?

Posted by kitteh 6 ohio (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 23:49

I'm not sure, it popped up in the shade.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this plant slippery elm ?

According to the description on the Ohio DNR website, slippery elm leaves have asymmetric bases, which your photo doesn't show. Leaf veins also look more closely packed in their images of slippery elm.

Might be a related tree.

o

Look in the link for Elm leaves - doesn't look like you have an elm. Beech might be a possibility.

I planted a young slippery elm years ago now. Still have it but it is a very slow grower. I'm guessing you have a faster growing plant. Like I said, compare to beech. Beech have distinctive buds - which weren't in your image but that would clinch that ID either way. Also look around, the parent tree that dropped the seed is probably very near by. And if that doesn't help, visit the Name That Plant forum. They are truly amazing.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Ulmus leaves

o

I think it is a yellow birch. There is one in the yard that I never paid much attention to the leaves.

o

I don't think this is a birch. Yellow birch have a finer tooth on their leaves.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: yellow birch fact sheet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here