Return to the Herbalism Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herbs for Memory

Posted by Omulnou (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 18, 10 at 0:28

I'm looking for herbs that can be taken on a regular basis to improve memory function. This would be for two people. One is a woman who is getting on in years and the other is a man in his twenties.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herbs for Memory

Omulnou:

Memory loss is a symptom of a few different origins. Example: Poor memory function can be a symptom of candidiasis which would require taking herbs such as myrrh, goldenseal, and echinacea or chaparral. The specific memory dysfunction with candida is "foggy" brain.

Another example: Circulation disorders could be involved creating poor memory. In this case, ginko biloba may be in order.

Given the age variations, it could be that ginko will work for the older person while there's a great possibility that ginko OR candida anti-infection formula could help the younger one.

I've only given you two examples of conditions that may exist causing memory problems. There are others. To apply the right herb requires a complete analysis to determine where the problem originates.

Just my opinion based on my professional experiences.

Thanks.

Charlie
The Herbalist

o
RE: Herbs for Memory

It'd be nice if there was a herbal remedy that really did something to improve memory, but we haven't found an effective one yet.

Ginkgo biloba, the best known of the "memory enhancers", isn't standing up to rigorous testing.

As for "candidiasis", which gets the blame for everything from "brain fog" to cancer, very few people actually have systemic candidiasis, and those are typically folks with severe immune system problems. For most everyone else, Candida is a normal commensal - an organism we co-exist with like the harmless bacteria commonly found in the oral cavity and gastrointestinal tracts. Local infections with Candida are possible but don't produce systemic symptoms.

The herbs promoted by a previous poster for "candidiasis" are not useful against Candida and in the case of chaparral, dangerous (chaparral has been linked to severe liver toxicity and is not recommended by knowledgeable herbalists).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbalism Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here